Mattia Binotto

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
tpe
tpe

Re: Mattia Binotto

codetower wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 22:09
Sauber, absolutely. Especially if Vasseur goes to Ferrari. Either way, I believe he ends up at Audi with the keys to the kingdom. He can bring in Engine guys, and already has experience running a top team. To me it's a no-brainer.

If Alfa can get him soon, he can get the team primed and ready for Audi when the next regulations come into play.
And then get replaced by another guy, just like Toto replaced Ross Brawn with....Pandy Lowe?

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

codetower wrote:
Sauber, absolutely. Especially if Vasseur goes to Ferrari. Either way, I believe he ends up at Audi with the keys to the kingdom. He can bring in Engine guys, and already has experience running a top team. To me it's a no-brainer.

If Alfa can get him soon, he can get the team primed and ready for Audi when the next regulations come into play.
Alfa Romeo is also managed by John Elkann. The man who wanted Binotto to leave anyway. But besides that, letting a Swiss run Sauber during the transitional period does sound logical.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

NL_Fer wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 23:12
codetower wrote:

Alfa Romeo is also managed by John Elkann. The man who wanted Binotto to leave anyway. But besides that, letting a Swiss run Sauber during the transitional period does sound logical.
Alfa Romeo doesn't make the decisions for Sauber. They are only a sponsor whose final season with Sauber is 2023.

What is likely is if Binotto doesn't want to sit at Alfa, he will join engineers at Neuberg to give the 2026 Audi F1 engine a good birth, then become the face of the Sauber team from 2024 after Alfa Romeo is officially gone. Nevertheless, Alfa sponsorship won't stand in the way.

Jolle
Jolle

Normally (discarded) Ferrari personnel end up at either the FIA or the FOM. So.. some technical position there. Well payed is course and walking around with a white shirt in the paddock.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I don’t know if Binotto is the man to run Audi F1. But as an interim for 2023-2025 he will be great, both for the team and engine department.

But then again, somebody has to replace the space left by Brawn and Simmonds

tpe
tpe

If Binotto ends up at FIA or FOM, Ferrari will not see a championship for as long as he is there...

Sieper

I hope he finds a good new job, I find him a very respectable man. Maybe even too respectable for a job in the F1 snakepit.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

I did not realise he is a director of Ferrari NV
That is significant from the point of view of stability for a public company.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

John Elkann
Executive Chairman of the Board 2016

Adam Phillip Charles Keswick
Independent Director 2016

Sergio Duca
Senior Independent Director 2015

Delphine Arnault-Gancia

Benedetto Vigna
Acting Chief Executive Officer and Executive Director 2021

Maria Patrizia Grieco

Eddy Cue
Independent Director 2015

Piero Ferrari
Vice Chairman of the Board 2015

Mattia Binotto
Managing Director, Gestione Sportiva and Team Principal Scuderia Ferrari Mission Winnow --

Francesca Bellettini
Independent Director 2020

John Galantic
Independent Director 2020

Mr. Mattia Binotto was appointed as our Managing Director Gestione Sportiva and Team Principal Scuderia Ferrari on January 7, 2019. Having graduated in Mechanical Engineering from the Lausanne Polytechnic in 1994, he then obtained a Masters in Motor Vehicle Engineering in Modena. In 1995, he joined the Scuderia Ferrari test team as a Test Engine Engineer and fulfilled the same role with the race team from 1997 to 2003. In 2004, he became a Race Engine Engineer and from 2007 Mr. Binotto took on the role of Chief Engineer, race and assembly, moving on in 2009 to Head of Engine and KERS Operations. Having been appointed Deputy Director, Engine and Electronics in October 2013, Mr. Binotto subsequently took on the role of Chief Operating Officer, Power Unit. On July 27, 2016, he was appointed Chief Technical Officer of Scuderia Ferrari.

Jolle
Jolle

johnny comelately wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 06:12
Managing director of the F1 department, not the director or Ferrari NV.

Still if you think about it, probably too much. It’s managing a 1000 heads prototype design, manufacturing and marketing company and in the weekend a 100 heads sports team while the whole Italian press is smelling blood.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Jolle wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 10:14
johnny comelately wrote:
01 Dec 2022, 06:12
Managing director of the F1 department, not the director or Ferrari NV.

Still if you think about it, probably too much. It’s managing a 1000 heads prototype design, manufacturing and marketing company and in the weekend a 100 heads sports team while the whole Italian press is smelling blood.
You are right, he is not mentioned in the Ferrari NV annual report for the last two years.
https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/corporate/investors

I was using Morningstar (what I posted), which now I know you cannot rely on.

FW17

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Well, I've listened podcast and it certainly it isn't as you describe it.

FW17

Where will Mattia end up if he stay in F1?

Audi Sauber - He is Swiss born so not a stranger to Switzerland. With the team in build up stage for the 2026 season, he can rebuild the technical team over the next few years away from the spotlight. Not sure he would be offered the dual position of TD and TP, but anyway he should be a good fit there.

Alphatauri - May be a strange decision if it happens, but he gets to stay in Italy. Red Bull will benefit a lot in getting Alphatauri more competitive which has slagged off for the last few years under Franz Tost . Now with the budget cap, this team with access to Red Bull Racing parts could get to the top of midfield with little more focus on the technical leadership. Alphatauri is also a small enough team where he can have both the TD and TP role. If Honda comes in 2026 Alphatauri could be good fit with Mattia at the helm.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

No way he goes to Alpha Tauri after the last 2 years....