The end of F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
SiLo

Re: The end of F1

jjn9128 wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 13:13
Feels like another "if we float this insane idea in the press we'll get our less insane idea through in private" type of deal. Look at my left hand to hide what my right is doing, smoke and mirrors, so on.
More sprint races and other stupid ideas that the sport simply does not need.
Felipe Baby!

jjn9128

Medals, double points, a USA style "finals" format.

I also wouldn't put it past them to just float ideas like this for "fan engagement" in the offseason to keep F1 in the sports pages.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

SiLo

jjn9128 wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 13:51

I also wouldn't put it past them to just float ideas like this for "fan engagement" in the offseason to keep F1 in the sports pages.
Sometimes I hate modern society.
Felipe Baby!

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

The idea Ross Brawn said is actually one of the worst things I've heard since I started watching. It's funny how when Ross came in as a leading figure in Liberty Media, most people were happy. But he has had some AWFUL ideas.

It also feels weird that Ross Brawn comes up with this idea. Given his history in the sport, you would expect him to be a racing purist.

jjn9128

Ross wasn't in charge, he was there to give the big wigs at Liberty legitimacy.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Stu

jjn9128 wrote:

It’s very Bernie….😂
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

basti313
basti313

An exciting season has just ended and you are again in the "change will kill F1" mode?

Is this the usual "no DRS, no ballast, no reverse grid" stuff and in 8 month everyone will complain again when Merc or Bulls seal it mid season?
Don`t russel the hamster!

wesley123
wesley123

The most ridiculous part of this idea is that F1 teams will spend $100M+ on it each year.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Edax
Edax

So what’s next. The frontrunner in a marathon has to replace his/her running shoes for flipflops mid-race?

Sevach
Sevach

jjn9128 wrote:

Double points actually happened...
Although unfair it was the "least crazy" idea.
jjn9128 wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 14:01
Ross wasn't in charge, he was there to give the big wigs at Liberty legitimacy.
If he was suppoused to be the traditional one, keep things safe for the old school fans of the sport... wholly crap.

langedweil

I'd say power-to-weight ratio back to 2:1 .. and less, less, less rulings.
Every car just needs to breathe it does want to kill the driver, and only skill should be able to tame the beast.
That way paydrivers are done as they will not meet the 107%, and we get some truly nailbiting racing (totally different, but kinda like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-BleZkNdEU).

But I guess these times will never come back ...
HuggaWugga !

Big Tea

If they want to hider the leader, bring back the original blue flags rules. This would make lover teams more competitive too.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

How about for every lap you lead you have to pay the fia $200,000. We'll get so much overtaking as the drivers try not to be first over the line until today last lap.
#aerogandalf

Stu

Big Tea wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 23:26
If they want to hider the leader, bring back the original blue flags rules. This would make lover teams more competitive too.
I would prevent use of the DRS when lapping backmarkers.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Big Tea

Stu wrote:
16 Dec 2022, 12:43
Big Tea wrote:
14 Dec 2022, 23:26
I would prevent use of the DRS when lapping backmarkers.
And limit it to 2 laps for passing any car, then have to move out of trigger range again before reinstating it.
Try to cut down on trains
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.