2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

issey wrote:
15 Dec 2023, 00:39
For me it sounds like that they kinda developed into the new gearbox direction already during the season, and this resulted in some problems as traction loss etc.

"The development from 2023 should carry over to 2024 and be better suited with the new Mercedes gearbox."
They use Mercedes gearbox so they should to know very early about that at 2024 they will get a smaller one. They could test it only in simulator, but definitely not on the track. The 2024 floor just wouldn't fit because of bigger gearbox. Also we don't know mutch that is will effect the rear suspension connection points or not.

KimiRai
KimiRai

comments of a journalist after having visited the Ferrari factory and Gestione Sportiva (this bit is relevant to Aston so that's why I put it here)
"It's the big advantage that the [great] teams have. In reality it's not so much the budget for the year as what you have gained, I mean, budget for the year there is a limitation, but what Ferrari has gained in facilities, or Mercedes, or Red Bull, over smaller factories that couldn't do it before, and then the others have not been able to improve it."

"The only one that can be, that is improving it is Aston Martin, which has managed and is investing a lot of money in a completely new factory. But it's true that they are a step behind."
A step behind - so far, hopefully

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

KimiRai wrote:
22 Dec 2023, 03:20
comments of a journalist after having visited the Ferrari factory and Gestione Sportiva (this bit is relevant to Aston so that's why I put it here)
"It's the big advantage that the [great] teams have. In reality it's not so much the budget for the year as what you have gained, I mean, budget for the year there is a limitation, but what Ferrari has gained in facilities, or Mercedes, or Red Bull, over smaller factories that couldn't do it before, and then the others have not been able to improve it."

"The only one that can be, that is improving it is Aston Martin, which has managed and is investing a lot of money in a completely new factory. But it's true that they are a step behind."
A step behind - so far, hopefully
Yes but not in 2024. Aston only chance is their windtunel which only will be done in 2024 September. Always ask appointments in Mercedes wind tunnel, transport the parts ,put in the wind tunnel the models,take out etcetera is all time consuming and money.

-wkst-
-wkst-

It will be easier for sure, but a wind tunnel is no game changer. Only look at RBR, they have their own, but one of the oldest. Toyota had the best and what exactly did they achieve in F1?

Most important will always be the ideas and knowledge how to develop and set up a fast car. That requires a lot of engineers and moreover very good ones. Excellent equipment (wind tunnel, CFD and the simulator) are the tools to execute these things.

The state of the art factory will be a big factor to attract good engineers with all the amenities, together with a good salary.

AMR is on a good way, they are the only team in my opinion who can challenge the big 3 on the long term, with the works partnership in hands.

KimiRai
KimiRai

new Alonsonian physics? :D

And then you find yourself doing impossible things with the car on a regular basis. In every practice, in every qualifying session and race. Some of the performances this year, like those in 2012, were in that sort of mystical region, where you can do things that you think are contrary to the laws of physics. That's what makes years like 2023 even more important, even more special, in my life," he added.
https://www.sportskeeda.com/f1/you-can- ... f1-seasons

Wouter

Fernando enjoys his Holidays. :D

In Aragon:

In Saudi Arabia for the Young Stars karting.

A NEW "TOY".

Shoot completed ✅🤩. Feliz Nochebuena 🎄 @pastracing_ @circuitomuseofa

The Power of Dreams!

KimiRai
KimiRai

Dan Fallows, April 26, 2023:
"“So the reason that a lot of the cars look the same or look very, very similar is that the regulations effectively make you design a car like that. There’s an incredibly complicated set of regulations for the front wing, for example, that are essentially making you design it in a very particular shape."
“Now we have these regulations, not only are the complicated, but they can only be regulated or only be judged by the FIA by referring to CAD as well. So part of the regulations are literally how you constructed the surfaces that go into the shape that you’ve got. Whereas in the past we had regulation boxes and as long as the car comply to those you could do what you like.”
Asked whether he felt the rules offer enough scope for innovation Fallows said: “Honestly, no, I don’t.”
Adrian Newey, Dec 29, 2023:
“To be totally honest when I first saw these regs in 2020 I was thinking this looks way too restrictive and quite dull. A lot of teams thought the same.
"We managed to apply some pressure to get a bit of a relaxation on them. Then once you get into them you realise there’s more flexibility in them when you first look at all the prescriptive boxes, gradients, rate changes etc.
"Once you get into the detail there’s actually a reasonable amount of freedom.”
It seems that the apprentice has not yet managed to beat the master, so far.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Any initial tidbits to suggest how the Aston development is going?

De La Rosa seemed to suggest the team had found its way again after the mid season hiccup - do we have any rumours just yet for 24? There were plenty of murmurings last year about Aston and wind tunnel numbers so I’m keen to see if we see any indications in this off season .

Really intrigued to see if Dan Fallows and the team can make another step, especially to see if they can gain some straight line speed without losing their strengths.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Mansell89 wrote:
02 Jan 2024, 01:22
There were plenty of murmurings last year about Aston and wind tunnel numbers so I’m keen to see if we see any indications in this off season .
I agree and well, so far there aren't, it would seem they are more cautious this time with messaging

collindsilva
collindsilva

Based on various statements been issued by Krack, Tom, Dan, it seems they are aiming for a stable baseline package with constant performance over all circuits.

issey
issey

Last years Mercedes gearbox was to bulky and to heavy and this resulted in high drag, bad efficiency etc.

According to this account Aston Martin needed to push the rear development for better efficiency and lower drag to get better topspeed cause of the gearbox which caused worse cornering, traction etc.

All the strengths from the start of the season disappeared because of this. Mercedes will introduce a new lighter and smaller gearbox next year and i think this will massively help Aston Martin to get a efficient car.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

issey wrote:
02 Jan 2024, 11:58
Last years Mercedes gearbox was to bulky and to heavy and this resulted in high drag, bad efficiency etc.

According to this account Aston Martin needed to push the rear development for better efficiency and lower drag to get better topspeed cause of the gearbox which caused worse cornering, traction etc.

All the strengths from the start of the season disappeared because of this. Mercedes will introduce a new lighter and smaller gearbox next year and i think this will massively help Aston Martin to get a efficient car.

I don't believe they struggled ,just because of 20mm wider gearbox. They struggled because of narrow working window of the car. They struggled because of banned front wing, new TD's,new tyres and drag. Aston need only 2 thing for 2024. One is to reduce drag and making the car which have wider working window. If the news are true then they see on numbers again a "Quantum jump" just like they did last year,so I'm pretty excited to see the new car.

issey
issey

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
02 Jan 2024, 12:44
issey wrote:

I don't believe they struggled ,just because of 20mm wider gearbox. They struggled because of narrow working window of the car. They struggled because of banned front wing, new TD's,new tyres and drag. Aston need only 2 thing for 2024. One is to reduce drag and making the car which have wider working window. If the news are true then they see on numbers again a "Quantum jump" just like they did last year,so I'm pretty excited to see the new car.
What do you think is causing a narrow working window? 😁…The new gearbox will reduce the drag

issey
issey

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

issey wrote:
02 Jan 2024, 13:05
OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
02 Jan 2024, 12:44
issey wrote:

What do you think is causing a narrow working window? 😁…The new gearbox will reduce the drag
No is will not reduce(much) drag,the floor doesn't make drag compare to wings,however they can create a slightly better vacuum and use a slightly smaller wing, which will help to reduce drag. But is more about weight than just 20mm extra place.