Aston Martin AMR23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Aston Martin AMR23

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 23:23
I think one can see the valley in the real photos. As it is a negative feature, it is tricky, but I believe it's there.

AMR told us that they would show the real car.

Can see the beginning of it here. It's definitely there

organic

Brightened up a couple of the images to see the depth of the sidepods more easily

Venturiation
Venturiation

organic wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 23:59
AR3-GP wrote:
I think one can see the valley in the real photos. As it is a negative feature, it is tricky, but I believe it's there.

https://i.imgur.com/asRAzKR.jpeg

this one is either fully painted and creates an illusion with lighting or it's just an old car

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

View of the valley from the back of the car, how it drives air flow towards the top of the diffuser and beam wing

snajam
snajam

I find it rather unfair to Alpine that their sidepod is/was referred to a rb/ferrari concept. They launched with spec similar to rb and made it aggressive in their own direction in which the undercut became naturally like RB. The valley and ramp down was their own direction

Any side pod with a shoulder doesn't copy the ferrari concept. The ferrari has no downwash to the diff, to the naked eye, a spillover bowl or a high pressure area. No team apart from haas has intended to do the same in the past 2 years.

This is an RB/Alpine mix conceptually, but far more aggressive and cleanly executed than the last year's Alpine.

In comparison the mcl and Williams look like quite blatant, vanilla copies of the rb18, exactly what the amr22b was.

I also think that the launch car has an old floor.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Venturiation wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 00:07
organic wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

this one is either fully painted and creates an illusion with lighting or it's just an old car
I disagree.

It's clearly a real image of the 2023 car. Look at the sidepod inlet. We were told the car was real as well.

hollus

A reminder for all the new people… in car threads, please stick to the car in question. For more general talk, the team threads can be used, or the comparison threads opening in 3, 2, 1… or dedicated threads can be opened.
But, no: What Mercedes will do or what Ferrari will do, do NOT belong on the Aston Martin car thread. (posts have been deleted)
Please, lets try to keep the car threads, the crown jewels of this forum, focused and clutter free
Rivals, not enemies.

Mattchu

You can see how it looks like they`re trying to seperate the flow from the front into 2 distinct places on the upper body.sidepod. One pushing away from the car and the other towards the beam wing/diffuser opening.

The colour looks fantastic.

edgelo
edgelo

snajam wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 00:13
I find it rather unfair to Alpine that their sidepod is/was referred to a rb/ferrari concept. They launched with spec similar to rb and made it aggressive in their own direction in which the undercut became naturally like RB. The valley and ramp down was their own direction

Any side pod with a shoulder doesn't copy the ferrari concept. The ferrari has no downwash to the diff, to the naked eye, a spillover bowl or a high pressure area. No team apart from haas has intended to do the same in the past 2 years.

This is an RB/Alpine mix conceptually, but far more aggressive and cleanly executed than the last year's Alpine.

In comparison the mcl and Williams look like quite blatant, vanilla copies of the rb18, exactly what the amr22b was.

I also think that the launch car has an old floor.
I think you are right. The Alpine 522 sidepods were the inspiration for the ramps in all the cars we have seen so far (and the RB18 for the inlet and the undercut)

The thing in the AM that reminds on the F75 is the slope of the valley. Other ramps looks much more straighter

Venturiation
Venturiation

AR3-GP wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 00:31
Venturiation wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 00:07
organic wrote:

I disagree.

It's clearly a real image of the 2023 car. Look at the sidepod inlet. We were told the car was real as well.
you are right so it's only the paint that changes

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

For those that may not have Twitter, a very good overview of the AMR23 by Patryk Sokolowski

diffuser

Andi76 wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 23:21
diffuser wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 22:28
These are the best I could grab ...

https://i.ibb.co/mJ6s0Qc/Capture3.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/g95tvvB/Capture4.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/q1PZw51/Capture5.jpg

You can see the top of the sidepod is green but in the picture it to be black. Also the video, cuts away to the crowd when the camera starts to get to height that you can start seeing detail in there. In never returns.
You suggest that these deep, Ferrari like "canyons" are actually non-existent and animated only? Well, in that case its still a Red Bull-Ferrari Hybrid, but much but far less interesting. In fact, that's the aspect that makes the car interesting and in theory this concept would even be very promising I think. But if in fact it doesn't exist, the Aston Martin is just another Red Bull/Ferrari clone. And I can't remember any copy or clone that was ever better than the original...but I think what you can finally conclude here is that no team is even close to copying Mercedes and going in the direction of Zeropods. Which for me is another and final indication that this concept has no potential but is full of disadvantages.
I'm saying the video doesn't confirm the picture. They look different. It's only interesting if it's fast!

godlameroso

This car gets my seal of approval! They basically took last year's learnings and went ham. Credit to the folks at Aston Martin, they have some talent. I don't know how it will fare relative to the others, but if last year's car raced this one, this one would smash it. And that's just going on what I can see here, obviously this is a launch car, and further details will show up for testing.

I can see why Alonso is pleased with this team.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

yinlad wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 21:32
AR3-GP wrote:
13 Feb 2023, 21:28
ALPINE!

alpine sidepods.
Far more extreme than Alpine. It's like an Alpine Ferrari hybrid
The studio shots show the Ferrari bath tub...but the live reveal showed Alpine ramp. .. Aston at it again with the open ended design.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

ringo

It's very possible for this car to have too much of an extreme design and be difficult to develop or correlate. Something tells me it will not be fast.
What I do like is the outwash under the sidepods, aka the sidepod barge boards. Having looked at how extreme it is.. I suspect this is the main problem with mercedes zero pod. It just simply did not have a midbody outwash to sweep air outward to educt air from and drive the floor.
So I am concerned with what Merc will do. It looks like this one feature alone can make them switch from zero pod. All other features are distractions. That big ole keel under the pods is critical.

Look closer below. Very aggressive in the barge area. Almost concave at the edges as the sidepod transitions to the flank.
For Sure!!