2023 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
chrisc90

Re: 2023 car comparison thread

Willy wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 14:37
chrisc90 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 14:32
The McLaren that supposedly looks like a RB19 according to Lewis. Looks more like the AMR if you ask me!

https://i.postimg.cc/Wpg8vqTN/mclRB.jpg
It puzzles me as why so many people think they have copied Red Bull? That water slide came from Ferrari and Aston did a bit of hybrid of Red Bull and Ferrari. Then Ferrari started moving more towards Aston in their side pod design, while Aston also started diverging. May be there is a bit of relevance to floor, but that's about it. None of them have copied Red Bull's anti dive front suspension. If anything, Aston, Ferrari and McLaren look a lot similar. Now Williams moving towards that.
I agree. The RB is still sporting its own designs and there hasnt really been much convergence towards them. Maybe a little bit of sidepod undercut, but thats about it.

Just for reference to the statements from Lewis:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/66144514
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1030975/1 ... r-red-bull
https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-ham ... -upgrades/

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

chrisc90 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 14:40
Willy wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 14:37
chrisc90 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 14:32
The McLaren that supposedly looks like a RB19 according to Lewis. Looks more like the AMR if you ask me!

https://i.postimg.cc/Wpg8vqTN/mclRB.jpg
It puzzles me as why so many people think they have copied Red Bull? That water slide came from Ferrari and Aston did a bit of hybrid of Red Bull and Ferrari. Then Ferrari started moving more towards Aston in their side pod design, while Aston also started diverging. May be there is a bit of relevance to floor, but that's about it. None of them have copied Red Bull's anti dive front suspension. If anything, Aston, Ferrari and McLaren look a lot similar. Now Williams moving towards that.
I agree. The RB is still sporting its own designs and there hasnt really been much convergence towards them. Maybe a little bit of sidepod undercut, but thats about it.

Just for reference to the statements from Lewis:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/66144514
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1030975/1 ... r-red-bull
https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-ham ... -upgrades/
Agreed as well. The only proper design philosophy I’ve seen “copied” is the undercut/front floor design with those bulges in the roof of the floor. Other than that it really isn’t a RB19 copy at all.

vorticism

Sad A522 noises: "They never called mine waterslides..."
diffuser wrote:
27 Jun 2022, 19:41

Silverstone:
𓄀

KimiRai
KimiRai

KimiRai wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 01:14
Both McLaren and Williams have a RedBull style undercut, while Aston and Alpine who have a much more aggressive outwash in that area have not improved as much. Probably not relevant at all though and I have no idea.
After the Canada upgrades Aston's is almost at a 90 degree angle, much more different compared to the McLarens, Williams... Coming from a very limited knowledge it feels like it must be very draggy the way the air is moved around. Not sure if that has anything to do with the team's weaknesses.

Farnborough
Farnborough

KimiRai wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 01:18
KimiRai wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 01:14
Both McLaren and Williams have a RedBull style undercut, while Aston and Alpine who have a much more aggressive outwash in that area have not improved as much. Probably not relevant at all though and I have no idea.
Do you think this is nonsense or not? After the Canada upgrades Aston's is almost at a 90 degree angle, much more different compared to the McLarens, Williams... Coming from a very limited knowledge it feels like it must be very draggy the way the air is moved around that way. Not sure if that has anything to do with the team's weaknesses.
Clearly there's performance difference which we can all observe, the team must be working on analysing why their design is in front or behind other's performance for variation in track attributes.

The AM downwash/waterslide arrangements do look more likely to generate drag figures at sub optimum in comparison to RB type to my view. Seem to have good separation of longitudinal airflow but at more drag cost.
The AM appears, through their flow vis image, to be pulling up airflow from outside flank of side pod and rolling that over into the trough on topside, as comparison to RB which seems intently focused on letting the top surface of the side pod bleed downward into the undercut channel as it progresses away from front inlet area.
The AM performance at season beginning I feel took them by surprise in it's ultimate performance, they all said they had good numbers but until they ran it against opposition they were right to treat with caution.
This in itself gives something of a pause in data and how the update route is defined, until they really knew exactly where they were positioned in regard to level against competitors, then throwing speculative design changes at it (to give continuity in update) would seem invalid to me. Establishing many aspect of this new chassis in real competition needs to be accomplished in driving true improvements from that new baseline. It takes time, which I believe we are seeing now as that understanding can't really be short circuited. It may be (in contrast to statements about updates previously) just the reality if now finding a refining direction that doesn't give inconclusive results, which could either be leading into more significant iteration or, given budget cap etc, leading to desirable core chassis changes list for 24 season in evolving their concept. They are effectively out of step with all the other team right from that mid season change in 22 in evolution of concept development time.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Farnborough wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 09:12
Clearly there's performance difference which we can all observe, the team must be working on analysing why their design is in front or behind other's performance for variation in track attributes.

The AM downwash/waterslide arrangements do look more likely to generate drag figures at sub optimum in comparison to RB type to my view. Seem to have good separation of longitudinal airflow but at more drag cost.
The AM appears, through their flow vis image, to be pulling up airflow from outside flank of side pod and rolling that over into the trough on topside, as comparison to RB which seems intently focused on letting the top surface of the side pod bleed downward into the undercut channel as it progresses away from front inlet area.
The AM performance at season beginning I feel took them by surprise in it's ultimate performance, they all said they had good numbers but until they ran it against opposition they were right to treat with caution.
This in itself gives something of a pause in data and how the update route is defined, until they really knew exactly where they were positioned in regard to level against competitors, then throwing speculative design changes at it (to give continuity in update) would seem invalid to me. Establishing many aspect of this new chassis in real competition needs to be accomplished in driving true improvements from that new baseline. It takes time, which I believe we are seeing now as that understanding can't really be short circuited. It may be (in contrast to statements about updates previously) just the reality if now finding a refining direction that doesn't give inconclusive results, which could either be leading into more significant iteration or, given budget cap etc, leading to desirable core chassis changes list for 24 season in evolving their concept. They are effectively out of step with all the other team right from that mid season change in 22 in evolution of concept development time.
Thank you for the long answer! You raise some interesting points.

KimiRai
KimiRai

ringo

The pull rod presents much cleaner flow around the tyre.
For the pushrod you can see how crowded the space is near the lower part of the wheel.
The pull rod keeps the flow obstructions near the top and this is further away from the undercut and the floor, and then it also keeps the path to the sidepod opening clear.
It's lots of little things that makes the redbull more efficient than the others.
For Sure!!

carisi2k

ringo wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 06:02
The pull rod presents much cleaner flow around the tyre.
For the pushrod you can see how crowded the space is near the lower part of the wheel.
The pull rod keeps the flow obstructions near the top and this is further away from the undercut and the floor, and then it also keeps the path to the sidepod opening clear.
It's lots of little things that makes the redbull more efficient than the others.
The Mclaren has the same layout as the Red Bull with the pullrod in the front and pushrod in the rear. They don't have the anti dive setup the RB has but this is a big improvement by Mclaren.

georgekyr
georgekyr

According to the link below, McLaren is the only team sporting Pull-rod suspension both at the front and the rear...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... x1Dhz.html

Farnborough
Farnborough

georgekyr wrote:
18 Jul 2023, 10:12
According to the link below, McLaren is the only team sporting Pull-rod suspension both at the front and the rear...

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... x1Dhz.html
Recently discussed in McL60 thread with pictures, definitely has PUSH rear operation and pull front. Same as RB in this arrangement.

chrisc90

Courtesy of Albert Fabrega

Stu

chrisc90 wrote:
19 Jul 2023, 18:50
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1agVMwWIAA ... ame=medium

Courtesy of Albert Fabrega
The McLaren solution looks the tidiest (odd, because it has been a part of the AM solution since the start of the season!!), Alpine still look as though they are using the modular construction method that many took last year - is that costing them in lap-time, I wonder?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

continuum16

Cool shot; not sure we can draw any definite conclusions but interesting to see the spray patterns nonetheless.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Both Alpine and Alpha Tauri have developed this rear flap detail: