2023 car comparison thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
marcel171281
marcel171281

Re: 2023 car comparison thread

KimiRai wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 21:14
even some technical directors such as Dan Fallows have criticized the ruleset being so complex and rigid.
Yet his former team is driving circles around his teams car, so still plenty to get out of these regulations for mister Fallows and his team.

There are still many differences between these 10 cars. Some more subtle, but some pretty substantial, like suspension setups and geometries or the placing of the chassis relative to the rest of the car. The RB has the tub further back than any other car for instance.

So no, I do not agree, this is (still) far form a spec series.

KimiRai
KimiRai

marcel171281 wrote:
22 Oct 2023, 09:48
KimiRai wrote:
20 Oct 2023, 21:14
even some technical directors such as Dan Fallows have criticized the ruleset being so complex and rigid.
Yet his former team is driving circles around his teams car, so still plenty to get out of these regulations for mister Fallows and his team.

There are still many differences between these 10 cars. Some more subtle, but some pretty substantial, like suspension setups and geometries or the placing of the chassis relative to the rest of the car. The RB has the tub further back than any other car for instance.

So no, I do not agree, this is (still) far form a spec series.
Point is, is this the second year of any regulatory cycle where the cars look the most similar in history? Id think that's possible.

mwillems

Re: Alpine A523

Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

avantman
avantman

Looks like Mclaren have significantly shorter wheelbase, which normally helps a lot with rotation in low and medium speed corner.
I tried to compare other cars and it looks like Red bull, Mercedes and Ferrari, all have the same wheelbase (max allowed 3600mm I suppose), probably Ferrari just tiny bit shorter.
Link to compare:
https://www.racefans.net/2023/02/25/int ... e-by-side/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

One wonders why slow corners are their weakness if that is the case. A short wheelbase is usually the best in slow (tight) corners.

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

I don’t think wheelbase plays as much of an impact in slow corners as people think it does. The W10 was the longest car on the grid, yet was by far the best in slow corners, in fact that was where it made up most of the time.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

CouncilorIrissa wrote:
10 Nov 2023, 03:09
I don’t think wheelbase plays as much of an impact in slow corners as people think it does. The W10 was the longest car on the grid, yet was by far the best in slow corners, in fact that was where it made up most of the time.
afaik
it's likely with a longer wheelbase the car's radius of yaw gyration won't be increased in proportion to the wheelbase
probably the RoG increase is only about half the WB increase - ie the required yawing force per wheel is unchanged
(angular acceleration in yaw being proportional to the square of the RoG)

and 'weight transfer' under acceleration and deceleration will be less with the longer WB