[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
spacehead3

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2023 (Grand Prix Cars)

Congrats all, it's really impressive to see how high the level of competition has become! To further illustrate that point I've got a few extras for you.

First, the top 3 telemetry for the final race (Especially cool to see GRaph and Busor achieve almost identical lap times but one with a high drag setup and one with lower drag):

Next we've got gap to leader for each round:

L/D Development:

And "drag polar" plots for each round. Maybe for next year we can try and get a more even distribution of high and low drag tracks to spice things up even more?

Max Taylor

Ft5fTL

Congratz to Variante for the win and Graph for the overall performance of the season. Usually i got around -0.3 cl gain on the official results but this time i got almost the same number so results are a bit dissapointing for me. Nevertheless i had a lot of fun this year thanks to the all competitors that worked so hard. Big shoutout to the MVRC staff too for all their hard work on this competition.

For next years competition, i would suggest that adding side impact structures and better suspension design that is in line with the F1 designs.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

beschadigunc
beschadigunc

I would also suggest 1 more year with these regs but atlesst a part of the suspension to be self designed. Pack is closer next year could be wild

G-raph

Wow, there are a few things to say!

First of all, a big thank you for the MVRC staff for organising the competition. Getting the results so fast for the last race is very impressive. And I love Max's plots, they are very revealing.

I'm glad that me tuning up with a massive advantage in the first 2 races hasn't put anybody off. Seeing everyone pushing with development (and getting inspired by my car without ever really copying) was nice to see, and you should all be proud to have kept your focus and converged to such a tight field in the last race. And obviously special congratulations to Variante for producing the best car of the year, and Busor for his truly impressive rookie campaign (similar to mine last year... so you'll win it next year?).

I'm obviously very pleased to have won this championship, and very grateful for your congratulation messages. But I don't think I had as a dominant season as it has been described. I only won races 3 and 4 by a tiny margin, and if these had gone Variante's way, he would have been champion. Of course I'm gutted not to have done the full sweep, but Variante's win is very well deserved.

Yes, I nailed the car concept much earlier than everyone (and I'm very proud of that!), which created a big gap initially. I slowed down a bit after race 3 but I didn't stop developing. It's just that I didn't find any improvement. I took some risks in races 4 which didn't pay off and I'm surprised the race 5 results were even worse, but even my best car from race 2 wouldn't have won the final race anyway.

Only running the fast template has shown its limits when it comes to an iterative development war, which will definitely be the game next year. I don't have enough time and computing power to be able to compete seriously. I'll enter next year's challenge as it would be a shame not to have the reigning champion, but unless I can find a different approach, I'm unlikely to finish on the podium. So it will definitely be an fascinating one!

LVDH

Yes, I think the L/D development plot very nicely shows how the others teams did not give up and did a good job at chasing you.
About computing power, with cloudHPC there will be a good solution very soon. Right now, I do not know how much a full simulation would cost, but I am sure it will not break anyone's wallet, unless you run a few hundred simulations per race. But we are still working on this.

variante

spacehead3 wrote:
15 Dec 2023, 14:56
To further illustrate that point I've got a few extras for you.
Thanks, pretty interesting.
Also worth noting that our numbers are getting really close to those you estimated for actual F1 cars!

yinlad

variante wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 12:17
spacehead3 wrote:
Also worth noting that our numbers are getting really close to those you estimated for actual F1 cars!
https://i0.wp.com/maxtayloraero.com/wp- ... =705&ssl=1
I think we'd smash that if we ran with the floor edge as close to the ground as real cars did and had free suspension design
MVRC - Panthera

spacehead3

yinlad wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 14:56
variante wrote:
spacehead3 wrote:
I think we'd smash that if we ran with the floor edge as close to the ground as real cars did and had free suspension design
We also have the huge advantage of only worrying about a single attitude. Consistent and predictable aero across the whole range of motion is a whole other game...But still, it's certainly something to be proud of that we are as close as we are.
Max Taylor

yinlad

spacehead3 wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 15:53
yinlad wrote:
17 Dec 2023, 14:56
variante wrote:
We also have the huge advantage of only worrying about a single attitude. Consistent and predictable aero across the whole range of motion is a whole other game...But still, it's certainly something to be proud of that we are as close as we are.
Oh without doubt. No need to worry about porpoising or cornering conditions, we have big silly sail wings and all sorts. But yeah, it's still a nice thing to consider
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

We also should consider that most teams are still using 2021 front wing endplates.

I agree about reducing the additional airscope wing and cooling chimneys (last point without reducing the allowed side pods volume/design freedom, maybe by a minimum curvature radius rule).

yinlad

Have the R05 reports gone out yet by the way? I know we had issues with some people getting them previously, so just wanted to check
MVRC - Panthera

LVDH

Oh, I actually forgot. I will do that later today.

CAEdevice

I noticed that the times calculated with the onine simulator (probably based on a database) are very different from the official ones. Considering the convergence of car performance, I was wondering if in 2024 it will be possible to access the calculation app or integrate laptime into MFlow.

spacehead3

CAEdevice wrote:
18 Dec 2023, 17:12
I noticed that the times calculated with the onine simulator (probably based on a database) are very different from the official ones. Considering the convergence of car performance, I was wondering if in 2024 it will be possible to access the calculation app or integrate laptime into MFlow.
Yes, it's because I ran the regression for the online tool from CL -2 to -6, so we are now right on the edge. I should be able to tighten it up a bit next year which should help.

I would love to give you all access to the full sim but unfortunately it's a rather complex MATLAB code and unless I can motivate myself to re-write the whole thing in python there is no easy or cheap way to share it with you.
Max Taylor

spacehead3

Alternatively, we could always just use the online tool for official results and then everything will match, we just won't have any cool graphs or anything.
Max Taylor