Sprints and cost cap

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Hewha
Hewha

Sprints and cost cap

While it's great to see new things being tested to shake up the usual FP, Quali and race, the Baku sprint event as a stand-alone event was a bit meh... Felt a bit pointless and boring.

How would you feel about a sprint weekend format like this?

We get the usual three FP sessions, allowing the teams to test and tinker with their cars and setups.

Rules for the sprint race are:
- Sprint race finishing order determines the starting grid of Sunday's race.
- Drivers start in a reverse grid order based on their points totals. So the points leader starts at P20, 2nd in points at P19 and so forth.
- Starting with lap 5, the back-marker of each round is eliminated until there is only one driver left.

I feel this could be very interesting to watch. It gives drivers and the teams something to push for.

Cost Cap
I'm all for the cost cap, trying to level the playing field, preventing major players from outspending the rest in order to win. However, it has shown a few drawbacks such as if you didn't nail the new regulations, it is very tough to catch up and you risk ending up with another Mercedes and now Red Bull one-man show losing viewers.

What if we followed the wind tunnel model and expanded on that?

The idea is that the base cost cap is for the winner only, and there's a built-in additional allowance (percentage/fixed) given to 2nd place, increasing the further down the chain it goes.
- 1st place - Cost cap + 0%
- 2nd place - Cost cap + 5%
- 3rd place - Cost cap + 10%

So a team like Aston Martin, who placed 7th during the previous season, would have a significantly larger money pool, allowing them to properly push their development and challenge the top. I am aware this would mean some back markers wouldn't be able to reach the extended cost cap, but for some teams, it would allow them to correct some wrongs rather than having to sit out for a full season.

Further to this, to prevent teams from total dominance. If a team wins two consecutive years in a row, the 2nd year's cost cap + wind tunnel time is further reduced with a percentage/fixed amount and this will increase for every consecutive win they achieve. This will make it harder to stay on top, but also so much more impressive to win 3 or 4 years in a row, as nailing the regulation doesn't automatically mean 4-5 years of dominance.

Let me hear your thoughts :D