Do current F1 penalties discourage teams from 'breaking the rules'?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 5

chrisc90

We all know that the rulebook has many many loopholes in it and there are penalties attached to breaches of the rulebook/regulations.

My question is: Do current F1 penalties discourage teams from 'breaking the rules'?

For example: Is it worth breaking rule X worth the punishment of penalty Y?

Personally, in some cases, I think it is beneficial when you look at the penalty that's attached to it. For example, is it worth making a little bit on contact/locking front wheels and sliding into a rival on lap 1 turn 1 and sending them to the back of the pack (or out the race) in the possibility of getting away with it, or getting a 10second penalty. I guess it depends on how tight a battle/championship is between 2 drivers.

There are some rules that I agree with, and the penalty fits the crime. Change of specification in parc ferme equals a pitlane start. Jumping the start lights gets you a penalty. Finishing less than a litre of fuel gets you disqualified. Rules in place that have a severe consequence of breaking them.

There are rules that have lesser penalty attached to them. For example using more ICE or components than allowed through a season. 10place drop the first time, then 5 places each subsequent time. Is that penalty fitting of the breach? I think it would be better to increase the penalty with each further breach. 10 places for 1, 15places for 2, back of grid for any others. It stops teams from using a tame penalty for running things maybe a little bit more than they should.

Should engines be allowed reliability upgrades? We've seen F1 commentators saying that you can run a engine a little harder than its capable of, and claiming its no longer reliable, and your reworked solution magically finds a little bit more power. Should in season reliability upgrades be allowed?

There are countless examples and ive chosen just a couple that we often see compared to others.

I think some rules should have harsher penalties attached to them.

Please dont bring any team(s) or they did/we didnt sort of vibes here. Try to keep it purely rule book and penalty wise.

vorticism

Re: Do current F1 penalties discourage teams from 'breaking the rules'?

For the most part, yes. Given that the technical regs are followed about 100%. All the cars have four wheels and a 1.6 L V6. If you show up with aero devices that don't conform then you can't race (or at least your points won't count). "Breaking the rules" will always be a subjective term in these circles.

Something that might be fun to see: If a team were to accomplish all they wanted to in a season (tie up WCC and/or WDC) could they then start showing up with floor skirts and other aero bits and an unlocked ECU and absolutely demolish lap time records? "We're done, time for some fun."
đ“„€

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Do current F1 penalties discourage teams from 'breaking the rules'?

The rules are something that the teams agree to. The penalties provided therein were agreed upon. If F1 wants a culture of perfect rule adherence, then make every single penalty draconian. Simple. Until then, remember that this system is what the teams agreed to and it makes little sense to be aggrieved on their behalf. This is what they asked for.