2023 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola [Cancelled]

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
langedweil

Re: 2023 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, May 19 - 21

skoop wrote:
16 May 2023, 11:06
If i remember correctly, the reason for the new qualifying format was to reduce the number of tires that are produced for a race weekend. Therefore it has more to do with sustainability then ensuring quicker times in Q3
Then ehh, maybe don't make tires that artificially die within 50/100/150km !?
This world really seems ready for a sizeable meteorite impact ...
HuggaWugga !

skoop
skoop

Sorry, I didn't have the time to provide a source earlier. You can find the article (german language) here: https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... t-23030411

To make your lives a bit easier, I translated it via DeepL:

(Motorsport-Total.com) - Formula 1 has apparently decided to test a new qualifying format in 2023. This is less about the sporting mode and more about the costs on the part of tire manufacturer Pirelli, which could be reduced by the changes.

Specifically, the idea is to reduce the number of sets of tires that teams are allowed to use on a race weekend. This would save production and transport costs at Pirelli and, incidentally, also reduce the carbon footprint because less material would have to be transported around the world.

According to 'Motorsport.com Italy', a sister platform of Motorsport-Total.com & Formula1.de on the Motorsport Network, a reduction from 13 to 11 sets of tires is being considered. This is to be tested for the first time at the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix (May 19-21, 2023), in combination with a new qualifying format that would make the reduction possible.Currently, drivers and teams are free to decide which tire compounds to use in the three segments of qualifying. Under the pilot scheme, only hard tires would be allowed to be used in Q1, only medium tires in Q2 and only soft tires in Q3. Only in the event of rain would the choice of tires remain free.

In total, only three sets of hard, four sets of medium and four sets of soft tires will then be available per car and weekend. Six sets will be used for qualifying, five for practice and racing.

The tracks on which the new format will be tested have not yet been officially named. According to information from Motorsport Network, however, the premiere will take place in Imola. There will then be a second trial shortly before the August summer break, so that information can be gathered and evaluated in the race-free weeks with a view to 2024.

In 2024, the new qualifying format could then completely replace the previous mode, provided the format proves itself in the pilot tests.

Presumably, the new tire rule would result in teams using one set of soft in each of the second and third free practice sessions in order to have two fresh sets of soft available for Q3.

Teams that don't make it into Q3 would thus have two more sets of soft tires for the race, which could represent a small competitive advantage at some tracks. From the point of view of the Formula 1 makers, this is negligible collateral damage, as it would possibly bring the field even closer together, at least in the race.

Pirelli's contract as Formula One's sole tire manufacturer ends in 2024, and the FIA just this week declared that the bidding process for the tire contract from 2025 to 2027 will begin in the next few weeks.

carisi2k

If they reduce the amount of sets of tyres then expect a reduction in the amount of on track running as well. Also expect a team who is not bringing a major upgrade to do well as they don't have to focus on new parts. This could be a recipe for an even more boring race then Baku and Miami. Unless of course there is rain at some point.

chrisc90

Aren’t they still going to have to make/bring all the tyres?

What if a team chooses to run say their allowance of only medium and hards? Without a soft. Could still need to bring more tyres

FW17

Imola F1 weekend faces disruption amid red alert weather warning
Formula 1’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix faces risk of disruption from rain this weekend, with the region currently under a red alert weather warning.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/imol ... /10470028/

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
16 May 2023, 13:44
Aren’t they still going to have to make/bring all the tyres?

What if a team chooses to run say their allowance of only medium and hards? Without a soft. Could still need to bring more tyres
I think it still saves 2 sets overall for pirelli per driver for each round doing it like this

Wouter

Journalists from Skysport Deutschland are at the circuit now.

https://www.instagram.com/stories/skysp ... 616109185/
The Power of Dreams!

LM10
LM10

Does not sound good...

chrisc90

Realistically 1 day to decide whether to call it off as fans etc will start arriving Wednesday afternoon into Thursday so their safety should be considered.

Doesn’t look good though.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I don't think they'll call off the GP. We are still some days away.

Wouter

Imola F1 paddock evacuated ahead of flood threat

Teams and Formula 1 personnel were instructed to evacuate the Imola paddock on Tuesday afternoon amid a threat of flooding from the adjacent Santerno river.

By:
Adam Cooper
May 16, 2023, 4:39 PM

Images posted on social media indicated that the paddock and TV compound had already been affected by accumulated water after a lengthy period of rain in the area caused the level of the river to rise.

Teams are in Imola preparing their garages, engineering trucks and hospitality units ahead of this weekend's Emilia Romagna GP.

The ongoing bad weather has led to speculation that the event could be under threat.

The Emilia Romagna region has been badly affected by storms in recent weeks, and on Monday the Department of Civil Protection issued a red alert warning, suggesting that there will be 100mm of rain through Tuesday and a total of 150mm by late on Wednesday.

Forecasts indicate that it could continue to rain up until Sunday's race day.

A meeting has been held between the National Crisis Unit and local politicians to discuss the situation in the region, with the department noting: "It was shared the possibility that, in the areas affected by the red alert, the mayors could foresee, for tomorrow, the closure of schools and roads most at risk, starting from those near the banks and landslide areas."

"The invitation to citizens is to avoid travel as much as possible and to resort, where possible, to smart working."

Although there are still a couple of days before track action gets underway, the latter suggestion appears to clash with the prospect of thousands of racing fans from Italy and other countries arriving in the area ahead of the race.

There is also a possibility that car parks and spectator areas could not be usable due to being waterlogged.
The Power of Dreams!

LM10
LM10

AR3-GP wrote:
16 May 2023, 17:03
There is flood not only around the track, but even at the track. The heavy rain will remain at least until tomorrow. The region has had massive rain with flood about 2 weeks ago, so there is just little soaking capacity left which leads to even faster and heavier flooding.

The problem would be the travelling and accomodation of thousands of fans rather than the possibility of light rain and on-track-action.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

LM10 wrote:
16 May 2023, 17:20
AR3-GP wrote:
There is flood not only around the track, but even at the track. The heavy rain will remain at least until tomorrow. The region has had massive rain with flood about 2 weeks ago, so there is just little soaking capacity left which leads to even faster and heavier flooding.

The problem would be the travelling and accomodation of thousands of fans rather than the possibility of light rain and on-track-action.
Im not an oracle, but I suspect the circuit will be fine by Friday. If they have to cancel Friday due to delays in the equipment transport, then I'm sure they'll be able to figure out a revised schedule for Saturday and Sunday, unless the circuit is destroyed by the floods.

Everyone still needs to recoup the cost towards the event that have already been spent by teams, the circuit, and FOM so unless the circuit is washed away, I suspect they will run it. Some mud is not going to stop fans on Saturday or Sunday.

mendis
mendis

AR3-GP wrote:
16 May 2023, 17:32
LM10 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Im not an oracle, but I suspect the circuit will be fine by Friday. If they have to cancel Friday due to delays in the equipment transport, then I'm sure they'll be able to figure out a revised schedule for Saturday and Sunday, unless the circuit is destroyed by the floods.

Everyone still needs to recoup the cost towards the event that have already been spent by teams, the circuit, and FOM so unless the circuit is washed away, I suspect they will run it. Some mud is not going to stop fans on Saturday or Sunday.
If the GP doesn't occur, does FIA let teams write off these expenses from cost cap? :lol:

LM10
LM10

AR3-GP wrote:
16 May 2023, 17:32
LM10 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

The thing is that it's not just some mud, unfortunately. I'm fairly confident that the circuit would be fine and that the F1 staff would find a way around. However, if the health of thousands of fans is in danger, it's the organizer's responsibility to decide whether the action must go on or not.