2024 car speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

2024 car speculation

Too soon? Well, the teams are already working on them, so why not. By the look of it, Ferrari and Merc might end up going with full RB type sidepods. RB20 will probably be indistinguishable from the RB19. I suspect all teams will have implemented RB anti-dive front suspension geometry.

The most interesting development might be to see how many opt for pullrod front and pushrod rear. This will be somewhat dependent upon if Merc and Ferrari go in that direction.
π“„€

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

Re: 2024 car speculation

Are there any (significant) rule changes for '24?

vorticism

gordonthegun wrote: ↑
29 Jun 2023, 18:41
This photo is from the Spanish GP, when the new sidepods were introduced.
The pull-rod entry into the bodywork is very close to the floor:

This one is from today. The pull rod entry seems in a higher position:

Pushrod rear would get it out of this area. Will they make the switch?
π“„€

organic

I think rb20 will feature the downwashing slides

vorticism

To that point:
KimiRai wrote: ↑
29 Jun 2023, 18:50
Looks similar to the first iteration of the Aston waterslide (pre-Canada).
What is ideal? Narrow or wide waterslide? Or is it track specific?
π“„€

KimiRai
KimiRai

Only RedBull and Alfa Romeo don't have some kind of "waterslide" yet. And as organic said the cooling slot below the sharkfin is becoming more popular too, I think only Mercedes Ferrari and AlphaTauri don't have it yet (Alpine doesn't have a sharkfin but they have cooling exits in that area too). Recently Aston, Williams and now McLaren have implemented it. Certainly a lot of convergence there.

organic

KimiRai wrote: ↑
29 Jun 2023, 19:17
Only RedBull and Alfa Romeo don't have some kind of "waterslide" yet. And as organic said the cooling slot below the sharkfin is becoming more popular too, I think only Mercedes Ferrari and AlphaTauri don't have it yet (Alpine doesn't have a sharkfin but they have cooling exits in that area too). Recently Aston, Williams and now McLaren have implemented it. Certainly a lot of convergence there.
Mercedes have the slot below the sharkfin (added within the last few races!)

Spacepace

Could a team potentially create an upside down tunnel that channels air towards the rear tyre squirt area? Like a waterslide but on the belly of the sidepod so it focuses flow down towards the diffuser to energize flow on the tyre squirt area

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Will be interesting to see if RB does anything with the top surface of their sidepods next year. Apart from the shoulder crease, the top of their sidepod seems primitive now that the field is full of creases, cascades and waterfalls :D

vorticism

Spacepace wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2023, 16:36
Could a team potentially create an upside down tunnel that channels air towards the rear tyre squirt area? Like a waterslide but on the belly of the sidepod so it focuses flow down towards the diffuser to energize flow on the tyre squirt area
This is the last main undeveloped concept for this formula, imo. Teams likely explored it in the early days (I'd be surprised if they hadn't, otherwise they need to DM me about employment.) I've been considering posting about it the past few months. The downsides include: radiators must be moved up (CoG), surface area of the sidepod approximately doubles in the area (weight, drag), form optimization limits owing to sidepod geometry rules (you end up with a spoon when you need a knife). Positives are you can hang the floor off it with stays, and tune it per track (variable mass flow over edge wing).
π“„€

organic

vorticism wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2023, 16:53
This is the last main undeveloped concept for this formula, imo. Teams likely explored it in the early days (I'd be surprised if they hadn't, otherwise they need to DM me about employment.) I've been considering posting about it the past few months. The downsides include: radiators must be moved up (CoG), surface area of the sidepod approximately doubles in the area (weight, drag), form optimization limits owing to sidepod geometry rules (you end up with a spoon when you need a knife). Positives are you can hang the floor off it with stays, and tune it per track (variable mass flow over edge wing).
Could either of you sketch what you mean please? I don't really understand. No worries if too busy or don't have tools to hand

Farnborough
Farnborough

That's what the RB flow around the sidepod does, there's effectively a channel (well inner half real, outer in virtual) to do exactly this.

The gap between inner tire rear wall and outer diffuser wall is the focus of that, linking to brake duct and far end of diffuser flare on exit.

This area was the focus of exhsust blown aero on previous RB chassis, also look back as far as Leyton House March from AN with this feature as part of that design concept.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

This is already done using undercuts along the sidepod such as on the RB, the AM, etc. as you can see in the top half of this image:

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Farnborough
Farnborough

CaribouBread wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2023, 16:44
Will be interesting to see if RB does anything with the top surface of their sidepods next year. Apart from the shoulder crease, the top of their sidepod seems primitive now that the field is full of creases, cascades and waterfalls :D
These other design haven't yet reached parity with RB flow yet, wouldn't seem desirable at first view.

They (RB) must look at these to check concept though, if significant benefit available it would likely put greater distance on gap from midfield to leader :D

vorticism

organic wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2023, 16:55
vorticism wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2023, 16:53
Could either of you sketch what you mean please? I don't really understand. No worries if too busy or don't have tools to hand
Let me know if this makes sense. Basically, maximize the sidepod volume and hollow out the internals. Vary the gap to the floor to tune airflow per location. Tradeoff is less TOTAL airflow over the front of the floor and more DRAG in exchange for precise location of airflows at the side and rear of the floor, and tune-ability by switching out sidepods. I was thinking of calling it a wingpod because it resembles a tucked bird wing. Ultimately I might file it more as a gimmick in the sense of just trying to be clever with the rules, which doesn't always correlate well with physics.

π“„€