Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jurgen von Diaz
Jurgen von Diaz

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

Krack has been saying that Aston Martin is project around Lance, so there's no chance Lance is leaving soon.

DGP123
DGP123

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 11:38
Krack has been saying that Aston Martin is project around Lance, so there's no chance Lance is leaving soon.
I’d be embarrassed to say that, but Krack is just a puppet. Does what he’s told. This team can’t ever be taken seriously while Lance is there.

franbatista123

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
It's just a feeling that i have, that Lance is starting to get tired of F1 and/or Lawrence will start having a harder time justifying his own son's performance to other investors. Krack is just saying what he has to say as a team principal IMO.

Jurgen von Diaz
Jurgen von Diaz

DGP123 wrote:
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
I’d be embarrassed to say that, but Krack is just a puppet. Does what he’s told. This team can’t ever be taken seriously while Lance is there.
Why would Lawrence Stroll want his team principal to say that they favor Lawrence's son over Alonso? I think this is a rare instance of honesty from Krack in this case, revealing that Lance is the one they are trying to make champion.

At other times, Krack tells white lies when he says that Lance is close to Alonso's pace. You make these kinds of statements when you know where your salary comes from.

chrisc90

I don’t think lance has what it takes.

It’s a tough decision for AMR - carry on as they are, or sack lance off and get 2 good drivers in that’s there to maximise points for the team in the WCC. Thats where the money is

codetower

chrisc90 wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 13:07
I don’t think lance has what it takes.

It’s a tough decision for AMR - carry on as they are, or sack lance off and get 2 good drivers in that’s there to maximise points for the team in the WCC. Thats where the money is
Maybe a bit of an understatement, but I completely agree. I also think he's getting tired of it as well. I feel Lance will walk away for a "different opportunity" at the end of the season. I am sure Lawrence can place him somewhere else where he'll be happy, maybe even buy a seat at another team (or sport). If this happens, I think Sainz will be a perfect fit on that team alongside Alonzo. I think it could bring in a lot of sponsor money, and give them a really good lineup.

RB doesn't need Sainz, and probably don't want him either. Mercedes don't seem too interested; And Audi, although on paper may look good for Carlos, long contract, #1 status... it's not a winning team. Carlos wont want that. What other options are there?

chrisc90

Lance just always looks demotivated too. His excuse for hitting Ricardo was outright stupid - effectively blaming Danny.

It could get spicy though, Perez could drop into AMR alongside Alonso giving Sainz the seat.

Realistically Sainz’s best option, if all the doors swing in the right direction.

codetower

Absolutely his (or anyone's) best option, but I just don't see RB bringing him in. Sainz is very good, and obviously better than Checo, but I think Sainz' won't bring much to the team. He won't beat Max, and he's not young enough where they could keep him as long term insurance in case Max leaves. This is why someone like Lando has always been on their radar. And like I said, I don't see Sainz signing up anywhere for a #2 seat unless that's his last option.

Jurgen von Diaz
Jurgen von Diaz

Pérez is the safe bet, unfortunately. I would like to see Sainz with Verstappen. Pérez is so washed. Still, I don't believe that Sainz could beat Verstappen, but maybe he could put some pressure on him sometimes.

Big Gun
Big Gun

Think Sainz best option would be to take on Russell at Merc, dont think he would look flash vs Alonso at Aston Martin......

codetower

I don't think Mercedes wan't him, and he may not want Mercedes. It would have happened already. The other teams already have drivers under contract so I could see them not being too public about talks.

Is Perez really a safe choice? RB is only 45 points ahead of Ferrari 5 races in. This time last year they were over 100 points ahead I believe. They can't afford any slip-ups this year.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Dunlay wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 04:37
CHT wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 03:49
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 01:34

Yeah but it's still the works Mercedes seat. Maybe Russell won't want to be there long term anymore.
It usually takes around 3 years for f1 rookies to reach its full potential, so the most logical progression should be to put Antonelli in team like Williams.
Imagine Ron Dennis doing that to Lewis in 2007. Putting him in a back marker. Imagine Red Bull not choosing to put Max in Red Bull in 2016 Spain because he was just 18 and continued with Kvyat. How about Charles getting in Ferrari with just one year at Sauber and then his performances in 2029. How about Lando and Piastri's debut at McLaren. Look at Ollie Bearman's performance in Jeddah for Ferrari.

It's ridiculous to put talented young drivers in back marker teams with that beaten concept of "giving them time to grow". It makes them frustrated and we don't get to see what their natural talent can do in a good machinery. Age doesn't matter as these young drivers would be in racing machines since they are like 3 or 4 years old kids.
Russell was the only one buried in a backmarker for 3 years. But Toto could get away with it because it was at Mercedes peak of dominance. The last 2 years at Williams didn't do him any good.

(For those who forget , Russell won the F2 title in his rookie year. In the strongest F2 field. And won as many races as Leclerc did in F2)

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

codetower wrote:
22 Apr 2024, 19:14
Absolutely his (or anyone's) best option, but I just don't see RB bringing him in. Sainz is very good, and obviously better than Checo, but I think Sainz' won't bring much to the team. He won't beat Max, and he's not young enough where they could keep him as long term insurance in case Max leaves. This is why someone like Lando has always been on their radar. And like I said, I don't see Sainz signing up anywhere for a #2 seat unless that's his last option.
What do you mean he wouldn't bring anything to the team ? Sainz is winning races in a Ferrari that Perez is supposed to win in the 2nd Red Bull.

Sainz beat Leclerc in 2021. He would guarantee Red Bull the constructors. Some thing that Perez failed at in 2021 as well

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

All this talk about nobody wanting the Mercedes seat because it's a 1 year deal. Funny how in F1 , nobody wants a 1 year deal and everyone calls 2 year deals long term contracts

gshevlin
gshevlin

The market is locked until every team determines that Max Verstappen is not going anywhere.
Then all of the teams will suddenly be looking to lock drivers down.
Audi would like Hulkenberg and Sainz, but both of them would be foolishly optimistic to sign this early for a team that cannot create a consistently competitive car with a current proven powerplant.
Red Bull actually have a surplus of drivers, with Liam Lawson having done well for AT last year. So I do not see them making a play for any outside driver. If they drop Perez, they might actually put Lawson into that seat.
Mercedes thinks that Antonelli is a generational talent, but they will probably not know until later in the Summer, after he tests more recent machinery, whether he is ready for F1 next year.
There may be a lot of talking going on, but I expect that the usual Big Dates (July 31st, September) will apply for driver options and performance criteria, so there will not be much in the way of early announcements. Just more changes than usual.