2023 Dutch Grand Prix - Zandvoort, Aug 25 - 27

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Dutch Grand Prix - Zandvoort, Aug 25 - 27

9 more races to go. It's going to be long and hard I predict...

chrisc90

Anyone know how Lewis comes to this conclusion?
"It's hard to know, but I think today I had the pace. I was on pace with Max [Verstappen] in the race. But we were just out of position,"

Even on his better laps he was still a whole second slower than Max.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/233581/h ... m=facebook

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 22:23
Red Bull not reading the room at all. Please don't bring/use flares.

Red Bull:

The arrogance of Marko, Horner, et al.

Unbelievable.
Who really cares?

Lets stop the pyro as the cars cross the finish line at the end of the race aswell then shall we?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 22:27
"It's hard to know, but I think today I had the pace. I was on pace with Max [Verstappen] in the race. But we were just out of position,"
https://ibb.co/Ntw7Rpf

It was a bit of fantasy I'm afraid....

What with Verstappen's radio going like this:
📻 | LAP 35/72

GP - "We are fuel safe so you can reduce lift off if you feel it is beneficial to front tyre temps"

📻 | LAP 43/72

GP - "You can start to use the tyres a bit more Max"
no one had any chance today.

The only small window was the Aston being able to get it's tires to temp a lap sooner.

denyall

I thought Sainz defense after the red flag was great! I mean it sucked because 4th for Ham was in the cards had he be able to clear, but Sainz made that Ferrari a mile wide and then used the boost on the start finish straight and Ham didn't have a chance.

I'd argue that Sainz defense was so good it caused the bumper cars between Norris and Rus, really, Sainz should get a penalty for that

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Red Bull:

Unbelievable.
Who really cares?

Lets stop the pyro as the cars cross the finish line at the end of the race aswell then shall we?
All bar a couple of fans listened to the call to leave the flares at home. Red Bull decided otherwise.

It matters because it sends the wrong signals to the people paying money to come to the track.

It's simply arrogant behaviour.

And, to answer the question "who cares?", most people care. That's why a circuit full of Max fans obeyed the call to leave the flares at home. But the team? Well, no, they don't care.

Sad.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
https://ibb.co/Ntw7Rpf

Driver in clear air, open track, nothing holding him up, VS driver fighting for the entire race against other drivers.

Motor racing 101. :roll:

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 22:59
chrisc90 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Red Bull:

Unbelievable.
Who really cares?

All bar a couple of fans listened to the call to leave the flares at home. Red Bull decided otherwise.

It matters because it sends the wrong signals to the people paying money to come to the track.

And, to answer the question "who cares?", most people care. That's why a circuit full of Max fans obeyed the call to leave the flares at home. But the team? Well, no, they don't care.

Sad.
The 21st century where everyone is wrapped in cotton wool and scared of anything that might hurt the planet.
Sad way people are these days. People should be allowed to enjoy themselves.

Can bet your bottom pound that EVERYONE in that photo knew there would be flares.....if they didnt want to be there - they had the choice not to take part in the photo.

I see you cleverly evaded the comment about the pyro along the start/finish line. Guess thats not "safe" either.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

chrisc90 wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:06
Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 22:59
chrisc90 wrote:

Who really cares?

Sad.
The 21st century where everyone is wrapped in cotton wool and scared of anything that might hurt the planet.
Sad way people are these days. People should be allowed to enjoy themselves.

Can bet your bottom pound that EVERYONE in that photo knew there would be flares.....if they didnt want to be there - they had the choice not to take part in the photo.

I see you cleverly evaded the comment about the pyro along the start/finish line. Guess thats not "safe" either.
I'd love to discuss this further with you but I'd be banned by the mods.

organic

Is that true? Usually stuff closely related to the race topic is allowed post-race :P the flares used by the race winners despite the zandvoort circuit banning their use seems pretty on-topic for Zandvoort's race thread

If it is off topic then we can be informed / posts removed but I don't think anyone would be banned over that
Last edited by organic on 27 Aug 2023, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

denyall wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 22:45
I thought Sainz defense after the red flag was great! I mean it sucked because 4th for Ham was in the cards had he be able to clear, but Sainz made that Ferrari a mile wide and then used the boost on the start finish straight and Ham didn't have a chance.

I'd argue that Sainz defense was so good it caused the bumper cars between Norris and Rus, really, Sainz should get a penalty for that
It was actually a decent job by a driver that is often ham-fisted/dangerous in his wheel-to-wheel stuff. I think it was helped by Hamilton being careful that prevented an issue. Others would have had problems, as we've seen before.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:12
Is that true? Usually stuff closely related to the race topic is allowed post-race :P the flares used by the race winners despite the zandvoort circuit banning their use seems pretty on-topic for Zandvoort's race thread

If it is off topic then we can be informed / posts removed but I don't think anyone would be banned over that
Chris90 and I have are not supposed to argue. History and stuff. Or something.

organic

Ah well I agree with you Re: flares. Bad look from RB mechanics to do that after the circuit made a big statement on them this year and it seemed to be respected by the crowd. Shame

If they're all consenting then it's not as egregious (cause no consent is essentially assaulting those around them) but still not a good look
Last edited by organic on 27 Aug 2023, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123
wesley123

Just_a_fan wrote:

Red Bull:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F4jeYzaWsAA ... name=large

Unbelievable.
It doesn't surprise me in the slightest that Red Bull would do such a thing. Respecting the organizers, fellow competitors, and the competition itself isn't part of their vocabulary after all.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

chrisc90

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:14
organic wrote:
27 Aug 2023, 23:12

Chris90 and I have are not supposed to argue. History and stuff. Or something.
:lol: - as much as we could have a discussion about the dangers of a little bit of pyro/ fireworks, walking down the road and potentially being hit by a car - and the fact that motorsport is dangerous and everyone attends at their own risk - it would probably end in a little 'heated' discussion about what's right and what's wrong, what should be allowed and what isn't. Probably the best I/We dont get involved in such discussion in respect of the thread.

I will say though....its a cotton wool generation that people are involved in these days worldwide. When you look at other happenings in the world and what people are 'against' and protesting about it makes for grim viewing (in my opinion at least).

That's all i'm saying on the matter