2023 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 01 - 03

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2023 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Sep 01 - 03

Sofa King wrote:
09 Sep 2023, 04:04
PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Sep 2023, 01:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Sep 2023, 08:15

Why the desire for pitstops at all? Is it inherently good to have pitstops?
Yes. Pitstops aboundantly add to the show. Intriguing strategies. More things to go wrong.... or right. Gets the mehanics working out too. It's a real event for the fans. With the refuelling element it's also driving a lighter car at pace and the choice of doing this.
I completely agree refueling should come back, but if safety is an issue perhaps in 2026 there be swappable secondary batteries. Another idea to consider is having DRS and perhaps push to pass allocated on a reverse grid basis.
Refueling should stay away, we need racing, the closer the better. Not standing in pits and managing stints.

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

I don’t think refueling will come back.
Petrol companies aren't sexy anymore, so liberty wouldnt want to have fossil fuels as a central show element and have more activists glue themselves to the track in protest.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Bigger batteries and battery swaps it is then!

Soon fights will break out in the stands because people will get mad at the loud fans as they can't hear the whisper of the electric motors

ringo

Refueling was about going all out every lap. Not lift and coast. Forget about strategy and overtaking in the pits as a problem.
When there are 70 qualifying laps to watch, I am sure we will have better racing.
Refuel can be made safer as said earlier.
Once the car doesnt move with the hose connect. This is accomplished with a simple interlock to the clutch and throttle.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

Sieper wrote:
09 Sep 2023, 11:58
Sofa King wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Sep 2023, 01:44

Yes. Pitstops aboundantly add to the show. Intriguing strategies. More things to go wrong.... or right. Gets the mehanics working out too. It's a real event for the fans. With the refuelling element it's also driving a lighter car at pace and the choice of doing this.
I completely agree refueling should come back, but if safety is an issue perhaps in 2026 there be swappable secondary batteries. Another idea to consider is having DRS and perhaps push to pass allocated on a reverse grid basis.
Refueling should stay away, we need racing, the closer the better. Not standing in pits and managing stints.
What are refering to here? Standing in the pits?
Even that is not a problem to the racing, it's only six seconds more than today's pitstops but that wait to refuel can be eliminated quite easily. (I proposed how to do this in another thread).

But yeah.. Formula 1 really needs to take a hard look at how to make the strategies add much more to the racing and vanquish this tyre saving nonsense that drivers are forced to do.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Sieper

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Sep 2023, 19:00
Sieper wrote:
Sofa King wrote:

Even that is not a problem to the racing, it's only six seconds more than today's pitstops but that wait to refuel can be eliminated quite easily. (I proposed how to do this in another thread).

But yeah.. Formula 1 really needs to take a hard look at how to make the strategies add much more to the racing and vanquish this tyre saving nonsense that drivers are forced to do.
Yes standing still to tank, or change tires. I was very happy they got rid of refueling and I hope it stays away.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Sieper wrote:
09 Sep 2023, 22:01
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sieper wrote:

Yes standing still to tank, or change tires. I was very happy they got rid of refueling and I hope it stays away.
oh the agony :lol:

Zynerji

F1 is a sprint. Pit stops should be gone, completely. Bring back the 2005 tyres!

Cars are allowed to stop, but the no-stoppers would have advantage. Wet tyre changes would still happen.

Anyways...

Big Tea

When they started the unofficial refuelling the cars weighed around 540 kg and the fuel around 180-200 (estimates from memory, apologies it not exact but just a comparison of now to 80's)
Today cars are almost 800kg and 110 kg of fuel, so the saving in weight is not going to be anywhere close to what it was 'back then' and no doubt there would be a flow limit on the re-fuel anyway.

I think the days of refuelling are gone for ever, unless they develop some sort of high speed battery top up and may make that an option.

(edited spelling)
Last edited by Big Tea on 10 Sep 2023, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

organic

Quick change batteries?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

:wink:

dialtone
dialtone

Wrong thread if you want to talk about Las Vegas.

Sieper

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Sep 2023, 23:34
Sieper wrote:
09 Sep 2023, 22:01
PlatinumZealot wrote:

oh the agony :lol:
When you have two cars closely matched 6 seconds extra in the pit is a lot. That is a lot of ground to make up.

Cs98
Cs98

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Sep 2023, 02:03
Mercedes dominance was driven almost entirely by their engine advantage. Their chassis was very good but was exposed on slower tracks. The next best team had a cast iron albatross around their necks in the form of a shoddy Renault engine, and no matter the chassis development, really didn't stand a chance over the course of a season. When they recieved a competitive Honda engine then they stole the show.

The 2014 to 2020 Mercedes era of dominance is impossible now. It's an engine freeze now. There is no catching up by developing the engines. It's all about chassis which make things much, much harder due to the budget cap ON THE CHASSIS. RedBull will dominate until 2026.
I'd say it makes it much much easier. The chassi can be completely revised from one season to another even with the cap (we've already seen teams do it), whereas engine architecture takes years to re-design fully. There's just a lot of sulking and excuses going around from people who want to pretend it's impossible to outdevelop someone, to induce some kind of regs change. It's a much more manageable problem than what we used to have with differing engine performance, chassi performance, and massively different budgets. Given that one team effectively held the reins for all three of those variables for 7 years it made it almost impossible to destabilise them. Now we only have one variable, it's a much more doable problem.