2023 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Sep 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis

Re: 2023 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Sep 22 - 24

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

organic

Gasly and Lewis on 2 stops versus 1 stop of teammate so that explains the big difference there.

Anyone know why hulk has 6 tenths over kmag?

Perez was completely stuck in traffic causing their pace to not be representative

chrisc90

organic wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 12:40
Gasly and Lewis on 2 stops versus 1 stop of teammate so that explains the big difference there.

Perez was completely stuck in traffic causing their pace to not be representative

He got Perez’d. Likely had some damage

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 12:43
organic wrote:

Ah yes how did I forget

To be honest the only truly representative pace comparisons are McLaren and AMR I think?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:
organic wrote:

Ah yes how did I forget

To be honest the only truly representative pace comparisons are McLaren and AMR I think?
Yes. Hamilton had damage from the run down to T1 at the start when Perez jinked across on him. Without rewatching, I think Perez was squeezed by a Ferrari at that point so it might not have been his fault (for once).
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

RZS10

He was missing the diveplane on the side where Perez made contact with him, it was dangling around at first, fell off in his duel with George, leaving behind some ragged carbon, and then they adjusted the FW accordingly (see mechanics with the wing adjustment guns/tools in hand at the bottom of the last pic)

And yea, Perez left him more than the car's width he needed initially but then the Ferrari came across, they were 4 wide tbf

search

organic wrote:
Magnussen lost 20+ seconds the lap he was turned around by Perez, maybe they didn't exclude that one? And as a result he also got lapped a couple of times more and consequently lost more time.

Without the collision, Magnussen probably would have finished comfortably ahead.

TFSA

Cs98 wrote:The stewards disagreeing hasn't proven to be a good judge of right and wrong these past few weeks. Whether you are overtaking or defending, going off track (unless you were forced there) should never be part of it. That's gaining an advantage.
Save things being overturned on appeal, or the FIA backtracking (like they did in Singapore, saying Max should have been penalized), stewards are still the judges. Whatever they say goes, even if we may not like some of the decisions.

Sieper

RZS10 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 13:04
He was missing the diveplane on the side where Perez made contact with him, it was dangling around at first, fell off in his duel with George, leaving behind some ragged carbon, and then they adjusted the FW accordingly (see mechanics with the wing adjustment guns/tools in hand at the bottom of the last pic)
https://i.imgur.com/32m76vR.png
https://i.imgur.com/dLMwexj.png
https://i.imgur.com/Tqxhkwm.png

And yea, Perez left him more than the car's width he needed initially but then the Ferrari came across, they were 4 wide tbf
https://i.imgur.com/5dSZfH1.png
Hamilton himself did say in his postrace interview they had too little wing in the first stint. Seemingly it was a choice, or maybe he was unaware of the damage / maybe it doesn’t effect front downforce that much. It has happened before that the Merc is not at it best on heavy fuel but comes alive later in the race.

Sieper

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 12:51
organic wrote:
chrisc90 wrote:

Ah yes how did I forget

Yes. Hamilton had damage from the run down to T1 at the start when Perez jinked across on him. Without rewatching, I think Perez was squeezed by a Ferrari at that point so it might not have been his fault (for once).
It wasn’t his nor anyone’s fault. Just always a very hard turn at race start, sort of a funnel. It only was his “fault” because he didn’t have a good start and that allowed the others to pounce. If he did have a good start there wouldn’t have been 4 cars next to eachother. But that happens.

RZS10

Sieper wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 15:27
[...]
Hamilton himself did say in his postrace interview they had too little wing in the first stint. Seemingly it was a choice, or maybe he was unaware of the damage / maybe it doesn’t effect front downforce that much. It has happened before that the Merc is not at it best on heavy fuel but comes alive later in the race.
Yes, i can read tyvm, no need to repeat what you wrote earlier - others mentioned damage, i provided pics.

As far as i'm aware diveplanes influence the airflow down the entire side of the car (which is why teams fine tune them over the course of the season) and with some broken carbon in place of it the balance might have been impacted in addition to any initial lack of DF, so it's likely they adjusted it accordingly at the first stop which is what i implied in my post.

Sieper

RZS10 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 16:24
Sieper wrote:
[...]
Yes, i can read tyvm, no need to repeat what you wrote earlier - others mentioned damage, i provided pics.

As far as i'm aware diveplanes influence the airflow down the entire side of the car (which is why teams fine tune them over the course of the season) and with some broken carbon in place of it the balance might have been impacted in addition to any initial lack of DF, so it's likely they adjusted it accordingly at the first stop which is what i implied in my post.
I think (the way Hamilton said it) it was a choice. He said “we took a little to much wing out”. That’s all.

dans79

Sieper wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 17:15
RZS10 wrote:
Sieper wrote:
[...]

I think (the way Hamilton said it) it was a choice. He said “we took a little to much wing out”. That’s all.
Having watched his onboard all race, that's not what it sounded/looked like in real time.
197 104 103 7

Sieper

dans79 wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 18:33
Sieper wrote:
25 Sep 2023, 17:15
RZS10 wrote:

Having watched his onboard all race, that's not what it sounded/looked like in real time.
I am talking about his own explanation, he gave the post race interview with viaplay when he talked about putting in a bit more frontwing after the first stint. I can’t find it online and he didn’t talk about in the sky interview (and another one) on YouTube unfortunately.