2023 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
search

Re: 2023 São Paulo Grand Prix - Interlagos, Nov 03 - 05

That rule was eased via a technical directive years ago indeed. Radio messages during the race are not considered as "aid".

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-c ... 15/803215/

And looking at the other tweets on that account, it would probably make sense to ignore it altogether.

ValeVida46

search wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 12:11
That rule was eased via a technical directive years ago indeed. Radio messages during the race are not considered as "aid".

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-c ... 15/803215/

And looking at the other tweets on that account, it would probably make sense to ignore it altogether.
Just saw it pop up on sportskeeda. I didn't know the radio relaxation led to the allowance of driver coaching though.
From the story you kindly linked it doesn't explicitly say it was allowed from that point onward.
From seeing that it's actually bringing into light how little if any driver coaching has been going on. As radio comms I've heard tell the driver where they are losing time, not how to take the corner.

Either way, they need to adjust 33.1 in the sporting code.
33) DRIVING
33.1 The driver must drive the car alone and unaided.

Juzh

this non-issue is again being brought up by casuals, same as in 2016. this kind of coaching goes on more often than people realise.
Basically radio is completely unrestricted now, even moreso than it used to be before the 2016 knee-jerk ban on nearly all coms (and the subsequent reversal). Now they're even allowed to talk during formations laps about anything they want if I remember correctly. It came about from haas driver getting an idiotic drive trough by instructing their drivers to pit on formation lap to switch tyres.

https://www.racefans.net/2023/02/21/f1- ... ain-tyres/
The commission has also agreed to “relax the regulation of radio messages to and from the drivers at all times during a competition”. Teams have previously been forbidden from communicating to their drivers during formation laps, a rule which was introduced to make it harder for drivers to perfect their starting procedures.

avantman
avantman

yeah, I remember how the greatest tire whisperer in the history, Sir Lewis Hamilton, was coached by Bono during the race at COTA in 2021, who was giving him instructions to copy what Max was doing in particular corners, where to push more and where to increase management.

Mosin123
Mosin123

avantman wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 13:59
yeah, I remember how the greatest tire whisperer in the history, Sir Lewis Hamilton, was coached by Bono during the race at COTA in 2021, who was giving him instructions to copy what Max was doing in particular corners, where to push more and where to increase management.
Dont know about you, But telling drivers how to manage a car, is not the same as telling a driver what line to take to get an over take done because he is struggling to beat a car 1 sec slower a lap...

chrisc90

The race engineers always telling people what diff settings to use, where to use energy recovery etc. happens across all teams.

RB must be cheating though.

Mosin123
Mosin123

chrisc90 wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 14:37
The race engineers always telling people what diff settings to use, where to use energy recovery etc. happens across all teams.

That isnt telling the driver how to drive though. thats managing the car, its within the rules.....

Like you cant see the obvious difference.

chrisc90

Maybe they should stop telling them the main losses to other drivers in which corners then.

Seems a lot of commotion over a complete non-topic

SiLo

Classic idiots tweeting for attention about a topic they don't know anything about. If this was against the rules, other teams would be protesting them. Heck, even the race engineer himself wouldn't have been sending those messages because they are usually well informed about what they can and cannot say.

I don't know why we regurgitate so much trash from Twitter here.
Felipe Baby!

LHamilton
LHamilton

Mosin123 wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 14:45
chrisc90 wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 14:37

That isnt telling the driver how to drive though. thats managing the car, its within the rules.....

Like you cant see the obvious difference.
No. YOU dont understand why it is as it is. There is pretty much no way for you do distinguish "how to manage the car" and how to "drive the car unaided" when implementing rules. They tried to implement that in 2016 and it became a shitshow, because engineers couldnt tell the drivers modes to use. It ended up sometimes with drivers getting into wrong modes (See Mercedes with Rosberg AND Hamilton). So what they did was just to ignore it entirely, because it became ridiculous. And even the commentators liked it better when we had radio communication between drivers and engineers. There was very little of that in 2016, because of the above.

The problem comes with writing the rules. There is very slim chance that you could write rules where engineers could give feedback to the driver on how to manage the settings, but not taking lines etc. It would just lead to teams pushing the rules, some engineers saying certain things that others thinks are forbidden and we get a shitshow.

So no.. its probably for the better that all communications are allowed, as it is right now.

zoroastar
zoroastar

Mogster wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 21:43
gh0stadian wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 21:32
Mezger wrote:
05 Nov 2023, 21:30
Would really be something to see Fernando in that Red Bull next year. I think it would worry Max too much for it to happen.
I think max would anyway destroyed him, but he would have much harder time than now. I would love that too, at least some battles for 1st position :D
Alonso and Max would be great to watch but why would Horner want it? I doubt team Verstappen would want it either.
the only reason he would want it is the publicity. seeing what a huge story alonso has been with astons resurgence this year would be a big positive for a team thatis there to sell sports drinks. why do you think they are dropping honda for Ford? it comes down to cashing in on the american market. im not saying it would happen, but that is the reason it could.

mzso
mzso

This finish again made me wonder why is the finish line not the same as the start line? Why is it in the back of the grid?
Also sometimes I seem to remember it being the same or at least a lot closer to the start line. But I may be mislead by the position of the checkered flag.

zoroastar
zoroastar

mzso wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 20:13
This finish again made me wonder why is the finish line not the same as the start line? Why is it in the back of the grid?
Also sometimes I seem to remember it being the same or at least a lot closer to the start line. But I may be mislead by the position of the checkered flag.
i believe the finish line, lines up with the race control tower. and the start line is sometimes moved to a different spot to allow for a better start if the track needs it. i assume its moved in brazil because of the tight first corner. but i believe its more or less different from the start line at most tracks. the difference at australia and silverstone is pretty large if i remember correctly

Farnborough
Farnborough

zoroastar wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 02:31
mzso wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 20:13
i believe the finish line, lines up with the race control tower. and the start line is sometimes moved to a different spot to allow for a better start if the track needs it. i assume its moved in brazil because of the tight first corner. but i believe its more or less different from the start line at most tracks. the difference at australia and silverstone is pretty large if i remember correctly
It may be derived from the Micheal Schumacher at Silverstone event, in which he took a penalty pitstop literally on the last lap (stop and go ? ) to complete the race in the pits and avoid the time needed to exit them.

Looks like the finish line is placed before all of the pit boxes to avoid this potential, instead of perhaps dividing them to before and after the finish line and provide "options" in strategic time penalty taken. Now not possible on final lap as you'd have finished the race by crossing that line BEFORE you took a penalty.

Seems like the origin of the current arrangement, but not completely sure thats the case.

Sieper

That’s probably true, some big brain thinking back then.