RB20 speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Andi76
Andi76

Re: RB20 speculation

organic wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 21:43
https://i.imgur.com/3qA839d.jpeg
I don't know if you can see it in this photo, but the inlet is extremely high up and very narrow. So it's "just" another extreme evolution of the underbite concept, the main aim of which is to be able to raise the lower lip without limiting the cooling and thus enlarge the undercut area. This also makes more sense to me than an overbite, which in my opinion causes problems with the front wheel wake because the pressurization that you have with the underbite and should help in this respect is missing. So I really can't see any point in an overbite and how to make it work. A wing like the one Mercedes had on the W13 would probably be a possibility, but we've seen how difficult it was to control its effects and how much drag it created. But anyway - in this photo you can see that there is an inlet and an underbite. So the inlet is practically where the top of the sidepod would normally be, taking this concept to its most extreme point.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Andi76 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 08:31
organic wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 21:43
https://i.imgur.com/3qA839d.jpeg
I don't know if you can see it in this photo, but the inlet is extremely high up and very narrow. So it's "just" another extreme evolution of the underbite concept, the main aim of which is to be able to raise the lower lip without limiting the cooling and thus enlarge the undercut area. This also makes more sense to me than an overbite, which in my opinion causes problems with the front wheel wake because the pressurization that you have with the underbite and should help in this respect is missing. So I really can't see any point in an overbite and how to make it work. A wing like the one Mercedes had on the W13 would probably be a possibility, but we've seen how difficult it was to control its effects and how much drag it created. But anyway - in this photo you can see that there is an inlet and an underbite. So the inlet is practically where the top of the sidepod would normally be, taking this concept to its most extreme point.

The encircled thing? That look's like a vane under the mirror. You can see it in the other side too.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Andi76 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 08:31
That dark bit confused me too, but from another angle that's just the mirror stay/turning vane - visible on both sidepods. (ar3gp's image)

organic

Its not an underbite :D I'm exceedingly confident

chrstphrln

organic wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 09:11
Of course not.
Apart from the fact that I don't understand why so many people are so obsessed with the air intake discussion, someone should explain to me how a barely visible inlet on the top of a rear-sloping surface is supposed to bring the required amount of cooling air into the side box. In an efficient way and without negatively influencing the flow over the side pod.

organic

chrstphrln wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 09:19
organic wrote:
Of course not.
Apart from the fact that I don't understand why so many people are so obsessed with the air intake discussion, someone should explain to me how a barely visible inlet on the top of a rear-sloping surface is supposed to bring the required amount of cooling air into the side box. In an efficient way and without negatively influencing the flow over the side pod.
Well I will attempt to explain why it's interesting.

It was an area of major convergence over the past couple of years to wider and higher inlets with underbites. Now there is major divergence with RB and McLaren seemingly going for overbites that hasn't been a successful idea previously: the two other teams who tried it (alpine, mercedes) have since abandoned the idea and the latter of whom were backed into a corner with it. RB themselves spent their only two upgrades last season increasing the aspect ratio of their sidepod inlet and making a more and more extreme underbite, whilst with the rb20 they've seemingly pivoted away from that totally.

How you treat the sidepod inlet is a major control on the flow entering the sidepod undercut and thus the airflow over/to the floor edge and how the front tyre wake is managed, both crucial aspects of this regulation set

venkyhere
venkyhere

organic wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 10:00
How you treat the sidepod inlet is a major control on the flow entering the sidepod undercut and thus the airflow over/to the floor edge and how the front tyre wake is managed, both key aspects of this regulation set
If I may add to your point,

The Q of underbite or overbite depends upon, "who gets to be the major roleplaying guy" delivering 'fast air' at the coke bottle area and beam wing :

a) the downwash air from the top of the side pod - this guy doesn't suffer much acceleration changes or pressure changes after it has begun it's journey on top of the sidepod, except some disturbance, when there is a 'radiator cooling intake'

b) the undercut air from the bottom of the sidepod, who gets squeezed and released, suffers pressure and acceleration changes and some brake cooling losses, and additional losses if there is a 'radiator cooling intake'

I think this a or b will get decided by the rest of the bodywork, the 'range of' angles they have planned for beamwing, the nature of floor edge fencing, etc etc. Or maybe this a or b decides the shape of all these other players. Finding out the 'independent variable' in this orgy of aero elements is probably what separates the great aero guys from the good aero guys.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

chrstphrln wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 09:19
Of course not.
Apart from the fact that I don't understand why so many people are so obsessed with the air intake discussion,
Its a mix of things i'm assuming,
1. its a distinct visual departure from their 'tried and tested' design, by RB and almost every other team
2. people didn't expect them to move towards Merc's design - which was taken to be a failure
3. there is just enough detail in those pictures to create adequate confusion to fuel discussion
4. there isn't much to talk about, and people want an excuse to speculate :D

chrstphrln

CaribouBread wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 10:50

Its a mix of things i'm assuming,
2. people didn't expect them to move towards Merc's design - which was taken to be a failure
The car as a whole was a failure. But detailed solutions can still be inspiring for others.
And I think the winglet extension above or below the actual air inlet is nothing more than a detail.
Nothing that determines whether the car is a success or a failure.

Although I'm sure some would like the world to be that simple. :D
CaribouBread wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 10:50

3. there is just enough detail in those pictures to create adequate confusion to fuel discussion
4. there isn't much to talk about, and people want an excuse to speculate :D
That sounds extremely plausible. :D

langedweil

organic wrote:
I'd say it's time for an overbite/underbite poll .. inclusing forum names 😎
HuggaWugga !

kediown

Overbite team all the way =D>

Venturiation
Venturiation

It's an overbite 200%

wiktor977
wiktor977

This whole debate about underbite/overbite, looks like "push vs pull" debate. Both solutions have pros and cons. But fundamentally it all depends on what the team wants to achieve in terms of airflow management. Did Mercedes made a mistake scrapping overbite idea based on what Red Bull is doing now? I would say no.

Cs98
Cs98

wiktor977 wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 13:53
This whole debate about underbite/overbite, looks like "push vs pull" debate. Both solutions have pros and cons. But fundamentally it all depends on what the team wants to achieve in terms of airflow management. Did Mercedes made a mistake scrapping overbite idea based on what Red Bull is doing now? I would say no.
The suspension debate has had a clear convergence towards push-rod rear and either one front. This is much more intriguing because you had the dominant car of all time incrementally developing towards more underbite, only for its successor to flip the script. Meanwhile you have everyone else (except McL) going towards underbite or removing their overbite (Merc). The emperor has swapped clothes with the peasants :lol:

stewie325
stewie325

Wouldn't be surprised if some of Merc's aero concepts were actually quite good, but their chassis and lack of underbody downforce were the real issue. Because RB has a good chassis and floor, maybe they've found they can achieve even better performance with Merc's concepts like the mid-wing and shoulder ramp.

P.S. I also think it's an overbite, and probably a more extreme version of what McLaren have done.