Ferrari SF-24 speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1NAC

Re: Ferrari SF-24 speculation

Can we rename topic into Project 676?

I hope they figured out problems with starting. Their starts vs Red Bulls were pure mediocre.

organic

Only towards the end of the year. And Abu Dhabi start was fine

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Nov 2023, 13:14
Again with the "things are now much better" tones... Oh well, optimism sells, especially in Italy...
Damn. This line was so savage if you live in Italy/love economics :wink:
CFD Eyes of Sauron

f1316
f1316

scuderiabrandon wrote:
29 Nov 2023, 18:30
Giogio wrote:
29 Nov 2023, 17:28
organic wrote:
29 Nov 2023, 12:54
Advanced suspension (but still pullrod rear if I've understood correctly), large chassis changes, airbox remains triangular

I read the article, for the PU, Will they increase the reliability?
We had no ICE or Turbo failures this season. In contrast to 2022 that is actually a massive step forward.

The reliability issues we faced were electronic, which is quite puzzling aswell atthis point in time. Although we know it was at least once down to human error. And once a sensor failure.

Sainz had a fuel leak du to the kerbs strikes in Qatar. Do we consider that a reliability issue?

Biggest issue seems to be the clutch with a terrible life span.
It’s all unconfirmed but it does seem as if there’s additional performance in the PU that’s yet to be unlocked consistently. The persistent scuttlebutt is that Monza used a more aggressive mapping that can’t currently be used at every Grand Prix and I do still wonder if part of their expectations being higher at the start of the year was that they thought it could be used throughout the year - before Leclerc’s DNF in Bahrain.

Whether or not that’s possible to address - or just the nature that every PU could be run harder if it only needed to do one GP - is another question but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are working on trying to use the aggressive mapping of the electrical components more frequently.

DoctorRadio
DoctorRadio

f1316 wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 21:59
scuderiabrandon wrote:
Giogio wrote:
29 Nov 2023, 17:28

I read the article, for the PU, Will they increase the reliability?
We had no ICE or Turbo failures this season. In contrast to 2022 that is actually a massive step forward.

The reliability issues we faced were electronic, which is quite puzzling aswell atthis point in time. Although we know it was at least once down to human error. And once a sensor failure.

Sainz had a fuel leak du to the kerbs strikes in Qatar. Do we consider that a reliability issue?

It’s all unconfirmed but it does seem as if there’s additional performance in the PU that’s yet to be unlocked consistently. The persistent scuttlebutt is that Monza used a more aggressive mapping that can’t currently be used at every Grand Prix
Is there a link? First time I read this.

Giogio
Giogio

DoctorRadio wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 23:18
f1316 wrote:
scuderiabrandon wrote:

It’s all unconfirmed but it does seem as if there’s additional performance in the PU that’s yet to be unlocked consistently. The persistent scuttlebutt is that Monza used a more aggressive mapping that can’t currently be used at every Grand Prix
What do you mean? If they use aggressive mapping at Monza? If so, then yes it is confirmed, I had read an article about motorsport.com

f1316
f1316

DoctorRadio wrote:
06 Dec 2023, 23:18
f1316 wrote:
scuderiabrandon wrote:

This article refers to them as whispers and includes a quote of Vasseur denying that a more aggressive mapping was used: https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferra ... /10516456/

So it may or may not be true. But the rumour persists and I don’t think you can always trust the team bosses to tell the truth.

deadhead

How likely are they to maintain their great traction and breaking considering all of these suspension changes? The SF23 wasn't all bad..

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

deadhead wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 20:56
How likely are they to maintain their great traction and breaking considering all of these suspension changes? The SF23 wasn't all bad..
I personally think there is an inverse correlation between downforce and ride quality. Cars with a lot of floor downforce need to run stiffer or higher to keep the plank off the ground. This led to RB pursuing some egregious anti-dive geometries which are bad for ride quality.

gordonthegun

As for the PU, I read that it has been improved the way in which the electrical power supports the ICE (which itself cannot be modified).
In Monza I read of an important further step in this direction and not of a more aggressive mapping of the ICE (hadn't the maps been reduced to those necessary during qualifying and race?).

As for the suspensions, it seems that the 676 will not change their typology but will pursue improvements through the geometries of the arms and the internal components, so, no upheavals.

michl420
michl420

AR3-GP wrote:
07 Dec 2023, 21:21
deadhead wrote:
I personally think there is an inverse correlation between downforce and ride quality. Cars with a lot of floor downforce need to run stiffer or higher to keep the plank off the ground. This led to RB pursuing some egregious anti-dive geometries which are bad for ride quality.
This is most likely true but has been in effect since 50 years. I would say the ferrari this year was good in slow speed sections (singapor, monza chicanes), which say the suspension in this part is good. The issue was drivability in high speed (sainz in abu dhabi, many errors in free practice from both drivers, visual bad ride there). Is this suspension or aero, I don't know.

K1Plus
K1Plus

michl420 wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 08:34
AR3-GP wrote:
deadhead wrote:
This is most likely true but has been in effect since 50 years. I would say the ferrari this year was good in slow speed sections (singapor, monza chicanes), which say the suspension in this part is good. The issue was drivability in high speed (sainz in abu dhabi, many errors in free practice from both drivers, visual bad ride there). Is this suspension or aero, I don't know.
The problem was ride quality, the car is still super stiff and can't maintain a proper balance range throughout the race and it was bad on the harder compounds.
I think Cardile hinted at a new suspension around summertime? I remember there was supposed to be a 2023 suspension upgrade but due to cost cap it will have to happen on the 2024 car (SF24, 676).

organic

K1Plus wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 19:14
michl420 wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

The problem was ride quality, the car is still super stiff and can't maintain a proper balance range throughout the race and it was bad on the harder compounds.
I think Cardile hinted at a new suspension around summertime? I remember there was supposed to be a 2023 suspension upgrade but due to cost cap it will have to happen on the 2024 car (SF24, 676).
I don't think the suspension had a problem with ride quality and over-stiffness.

The car was excellent on kerbs and bumps and where others struggled with it, Ferrari were more competitive. Formu1a.uno and even Vasseur have talked about wanting to keep this characteristic whilst achieving a more well rounded car

K1Plus
K1Plus

organic wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 19:56
K1Plus wrote:
michl420 wrote:
I don't think the suspension had a problem with ride quality and over-stiffness.

The car was excellent on kerbs and bumps and where others struggled with it, Ferrari were more competitive. Formu1a.uno and even Vasseur have talked about wanting to keep this characteristic whilst achieving a more well rounded car
What was the problem then? Their aero?

organic

K1Plus wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 21:05
organic wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 19:56
K1Plus wrote:

What was the problem then? Their aero?
I'm not saying that the suspension can't be improved. I think it can, just that the areas you identified as weaknesses were already strengths of Ferrari