McLaren MCL38 speculation.

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Marc.W

Re: MCL 2024 speculation. MCL38.

Would they actually post images from inside the wind tunnel?

_cerber1

10 minets :roll:
Oh no, they presented a behind-the-scenes look at the filming, I was counting on the first insider shots of the new chassis.

scuderiabrandon

Marc.W wrote:
16 Jan 2024, 20:23
Would they actually post images from inside the wind tunnel?
It is only the control room with an older model (MCL60)

I don't think there is much too look into

jjn9128

it's a render - no strut holding the model up.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

_cerber1

Re: McLaren MCL38 speculation.

organic

Naturally haha. Everyone will develop their cars this year

scuderiabrandon

_cerber1 wrote:
17 Jan 2024, 19:26
Grass is green

_cerber1

By funoanalisitecnica
PU and air resistance: two aspects that severely limited McLaren's performance last year. These two elements were the centerpiece of the developments carried out on the new MCL38, thanks to the use of test benches and a wind tunnel. The new aero tunnel, available since October last year at the McLaren Technology Center, has helped the stable, headed by Andrea Stella, in an attempt to get as close to Red Bull's performance as possible.

However, using the gallery to increase resistance to promotion is not an easy job. The main reasons for these difficulties are dictated by the regulations, which dictate a limited speed of up to 180 km / h and a car that, at the size level, can be no more than 60% of the real one. To overcome these regulatory constraints, according to information gathered by our editorial staff, team was looking for a continuous iteration between tunnel tests and CFD tests.

On the other hand, in order to compete with Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull, the British stable must definitely restore a few horsepower. Thanks to the information we have gathered, we can say that in winter McLaren, in cooperation with its technical partners, was looking for the best fuel mixture. The goal is to take advantage of more efficient combustion at the chemical level, capable of developing greater power. The Teutons also discussed a higher-thrust engine map and, in context, a revised hybrid configuration for use on a dry lap.

Only tests will be able to quantify whether McLaren knew how to do his homework well. Returning to aerodynamics, we can say that there are some doubts about the changes made, since changing the trend of the vortex structure of the F1 car and its actual execution is never easy, especially if we are talking about performance with a high fuel load on board. Long-range simulations are almost impossible to test properly with computers, and this is one of the main reasons why different teams have difficulty working with tires.

CjC
CjC

_cerber1 wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 11:14
By funoanalisitecnica
PU and air resistance: two aspects that severely limited McLaren's performance last year. These two elements were the centerpiece of the developments carried out on the new MCL38, thanks to the use of test benches and a wind tunnel. The new aero tunnel, available since October last year at the McLaren Technology Center, has helped the stable, headed by Andrea Stella, in an attempt to get as close to Red Bull's performance as possible.

However, using the gallery to increase resistance to promotion is not an easy job. The main reasons for these difficulties are dictated by the regulations, which dictate a limited speed of up to 180 km / h and a car that, at the size level, can be no more than 60% of the real one. To overcome these regulatory constraints, according to information gathered by our editorial staff, team was looking for a continuous iteration between tunnel tests and CFD tests.

On the other hand, in order to compete with Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull, the British stable must definitely restore a few horsepower. Thanks to the information we have gathered, we can say that in winter McLaren, in cooperation with its technical partners, was looking for the best fuel mixture. The goal is to take advantage of more efficient combustion at the chemical level, capable of developing greater power. The Teutons also discussed a higher-thrust engine map and, in context, a revised hybrid configuration for use on a dry lap.

Only tests will be able to quantify whether McLaren knew how to do his homework well. Returning to aerodynamics, we can say that there are some doubts about the changes made, since changing the trend of the vortex structure of the F1 car and its actual execution is never easy, especially if we are talking about performance with a high fuel load on board. Long-range simulations are almost impossible to test properly with computers, and this is one of the main reasons why different teams have difficulty working with tires.
Many thanks for this. I tried reading the link Tomsky posted with translate but all the adverts kept making the website crash #-o

Anyway back to the article.
The article makes it sound like Mclaren are developing their own fuel, engine maps and hybrid (software) to increase HP?
Surely Mercedes are developing these for themselves and their customers rather than Mclaren developing them independently?
Just a fan's point of view

_cerber1

To be honest, I'm also surprised that McLaren had any problems with engine power. Because during the season we heard from Stella, Brown and Norris that they were completely satisfied with the engine power, moreover, the degradation of the Mercedes engine is much lower than that of competitors, Lando drove the whole season on three engines, and was faster at the end of the year.
Also, I can't imagine what McLaren can offer Mercedes fuel?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 13:24
To be honest, I'm also surprised that McLaren had any problems with engine power. Because during the season we heard from Stella, Brown and Norris that they were completely satisfied with the engine power, moreover, the degradation of the Mercedes engine is much lower than that of competitors, Lando drove the whole season on three engines, and was faster at the end of the year.
Also, I can't imagine what McLaren can offer Mercedes fuel?
Some of these reports, when they go into such detail, like the writer sat down and interviewed a key member of the team, it’s a sign to take them with a pinch of salt. I’m not buying the engine story, there was no indication of a power deficit, there was a drag issue with the chassis, which improved over the course of the season.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

_cerber1 wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 11:14
By funoanalisitecnica

The printed regulations do not allow changes to fuel chemistry. It was homologated.

I also think there are inconsistencies in the article. I was not aware of Mclaren having a diferent fuel supplier to Mercedes. The authors also seem to suggest Mclaren needs to restore horsepower to compete against Mercedes. :wtf: This doesn't make any sense.

CjC
CjC

Don’t know about the rest of you but I had to read it with translate on and for me most of the time the ‘wrong’ word gets used.

What I do know is Lando said in Brazil that he has more power than Max when questioned about their launches off the line - I think it was after the sprint?

So Mercs Power was up there to begin with.

I read James Allison say Merc have improved the power via the means in which they can do so that will be for all Merc customers.

The only real thing McLaren can control regarding top speed is the efficiency and drag- which all teams want to achieve the best they can.
Just a fan's point of view

trinidefender
trinidefender

Who provides the exhaust manifold? Chassis or engine constructor?

scuderiabrandon

trinidefender wrote:
20 Jan 2024, 22:46
Who provides the exhaust manifold? Chassis or engine constructor?
Exhaust systems beyond turbine and wastegate exits are provided by the engine supplier