Aston Martin AMR24 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Aston Martin AMR24 Speculation Thread

Which comments have been made indicating the exterior of the car will look very different?

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 10:30
Which comments have been made indicating the exterior of the car will look very different?
NAPI10 wrote:
04 Jan 2024, 19:44
Nothing new in this article -
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... U8wUq.html

I am surprise with the statement "Sources say the 2024 car looks very different to its predecessor on the outside, with a plethora of changes under the skin and away from prying eyes, too."
I thought, it will be more of a evolution with some changes under the skin.
It would be pretty embarrassing if it's not the case considering it's published on the official F1 website

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

KimiRai wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 10:35
organic wrote:
05 Jan 2024, 10:30
NAPI10 wrote:
04 Jan 2024, 19:44
Nothing new in this article -

I am surprise with the statement "Sources say the 2024 car looks very different to its predecessor on the outside, with a plethora of changes under the skin and away from prying eyes, too."
I thought, it will be more of a evolution with some changes under the skin.
It would be pretty embarrassing if it's not the case considering it's published on the official F1 website
I think they will drop the water 🛝 and try to make longer the cooler and the warm air from the cooler and exhaust try to push under the beam wing to feed the diffuser, something like blowed diffuser.
Here the perfect explanation why:

KimiRai
KimiRai

According to Nugnes, Mercedes' rear suspension (and so Aston Martin's) will continue to be pull-rod. Gearbox will be shortened, as we already knew.
The new Mercedes, therefore, will have the advantage of redistributing the masses and will offer a more compact rear end, without revolutions, because the suspension will maintain the pull-rod layout without copying the push-rod concepts of the Red Bull: the shorter gearbox will move the engine and the cockpit further back as well, moving the radiator ports away from the front wheel.
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... /10562819/

Just as a thought I would love to have seen an AMR23 with no Mercedes parts apart from the engine, both rear suspension and gearbox having been built in-house, similar to McLaren. I wonder how much faster it could have been. Or slower, but I think that most likely it would have been quicker had it been possible at the time...
Maybe at Aston they have asked themselves this question.

NAPI10
NAPI10

KimiRai wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 00:45
According to Nugnes, Mercedes' rear suspension (and so Aston Martin's) will continue to be pull-rod. Gearbox will be shortened, as we already knew.
The new Mercedes, therefore, will have the advantage of redistributing the masses and will offer a more compact rear end, without revolutions, because the suspension will maintain the pull-rod layout without copying the push-rod concepts of the Red Bull: the shorter gearbox will move the engine and the cockpit further back as well, moving the radiator ports away from the front wheel.

Just as a thought I would love to have seen an AMR23 with no Mercedes parts apart from the engine, both rear suspension and gearbox having been built in-house, similar to McLaren. I wonder how much faster it could have been. Or slower, but I think that most likely it would have been quicker had it been possible at the time...
Are you saying,pull-rod layout will restrict AM's progression?

KimiRai
KimiRai

NAPI10 wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 05:05
KimiRai wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 00:45

Are you saying,pull-rod layout will restrict AM's progression?
I cannot answer that on my own. Other sources have suggested those Merc parts were lacking, at least the gearbox has been referenced many times, not sure about the rear suspension. Therefore the point was it would have been interesting to see what Aston would have done and how it would have impacted the AMR23 if they had been prepared enough as a team to do all those projects themselves, if it would have been any different from Mercedes and how. Likely a very difficult question to ask someone sure, but I think it would be interesting to hear Fallows' answer to that specially considering he worked in the RB18.
Last edited by KimiRai on 06 Jan 2024, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

diffuser

BARRETTO - Sources say the 2024 car looks very different to its predecessor on the outside, with a plethora of changes under the skin and away from prying eyes, too.

“We are not heading into 2024 with a hangover from 2023. Quite the opposite, in fact,” says Krack. “[Last] season – and especially the races at the end of the season – have been very positive for us, with some really valuable learning that will carry over into the '24 car. We're not wrestling with any doubts.”

NAPI10
NAPI10

AMR24 passed crash test; now team can focus on finalizing development plan -
https://www.planetf1.com/news/crash-tes ... ton-martin

-wkst-
-wkst-

KimiRai wrote:
06 Jan 2024, 05:32
I cannot answer that on my own. Other sources have suggested those Merc parts were lacking, at least the gearbox has been referenced many times, not sure about the rear suspension. Therefore the point was it would have been interesting to see what Aston would have done and how it would have impacted the AMR23 if they had been prepared enough as a team to do all those projects themselves, if it would have been any different from Mercedes and how. Likely a very difficult question to ask someone sure, but I think it would be interesting to hear Fallows' answer to that specially considering he worked in the RB18.
I guess the rear suspension would be no problem for AMR, but let's not forget: that's in particular a question of contracts. They have a binding contract with Mercedes, whether they build their own one or not, they have to pay Mercedes. Double costs in the cost cap era are for sure no good idea.

Listening to Krack regarding their gearbox wishes for 2026 (just simpler than today with more standard parts) I doubt that they can make their own gearbox without a long lead time (excatly where they are currently into for 2026).

peewon

Aston Martin F1 rule out making similar step to start of 2023

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/01/ ... t-of-2023/

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

peewon wrote:
08 Jan 2024, 21:36
Aston Martin F1 rule out making similar step to start of 2023

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/01/ ... t-of-2023/
On this website just 9 hour old,but this news is pretty old:)

KimiRai
KimiRai

Managerial U-turn
The 2022 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix was one to remember for many Aston Martin employees. Late on Saturday afternoon, a few hours after qualifying, Lawrence Stroll - the team owner - came striding into the pit box with a grim look on his face. He gathered the people in the pit lane and almost beat the crap out of them. It is said that the scolding they received was epoch-making, after seeing their cars classified 14th and 18th when the expectations were different. Something must have happened from that day until the spring, because everything changed. Premium technicians from Mercedes and Red Bull began to be hired through sheer chequebook power and in August came the announcement of Fernando Alonso. A lot of changes, and in a big way.

The problem is that all that grey matter and noble hands arrived after the first sketches of the design of the single-seater that would run in 2023 had been started. Cars begin to be born parallel to the flowering of spring. If you arrive without an established concept in May, you're already a little late, and all indications are that at Silverstone they already had something well underway when the fresh brains started to rain down. Their presence was noticeable, but not to the extent that last year's AMR23 was their product.

New car, new season
Although the casuistry is diverse, the first versions of the single-seaters, the ones you see at the presentations, are usually ready in September-October. The position of the wheel axles, the suspension mounting points, the position of the engine block, roll bar, cooling system packaging, and weight distribution are already determined before the end of the summer. This suggests that the huge group of top technicians who came to Aston Martin sticked their noses in a limited way into the single-seater that raced in 2023. This year's AMR24 will indeed have the stamp of all those good connoisseurs, and it should be noticed.

Parallel to this idea, and recently, it has been revealed by various sources that the green car will be very different from the previous one. Although the rules are almost the same, the core idea of the single-seater will be attacked with different elements both inside and out. Changes are coming, we will see something alternative to what we know, which does not automatically have to be better, but it would be logical. No one knows to what extent and in what way they will increase performance, behaviour and capabilities, but they will certainly attack the shortcomings. One is aerodynamic performance in fast cornering and another is top speed on the straight. Based on its strengths, traction and acceleration from low speeds, the AMR24 will have to make progress.
https://theobjective.com/deportes/2024- ... formula-1/

organic

A masterclass in hand-waving vagueness

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
11 Jan 2024, 01:22
A masterclass in hand-waving vagueness
:lol: :lol:

Anyways it's not like there is more to talk about, so far there are fewer leaks than last preseason

-wkst-
-wkst-

I will wait for launch, if people are in the same mood as last year (cautious in words but not hideable excited in their body language). Teams know exactly now how much time they gained for the first few races, as December is deadline for aero and so on for the first spec.

ALO is pretty early in the factory this year. Last year his first visit was 2-3 weeks later, although he was new to the team.