2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

I'd expect the front wing at least.

We may also see a suspension geometry change and the flow conditioners behind the front wheels in the earlier upgrades released.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Tomsky
Tomsky

mwillems wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 11:25

We may also see a suspension geometry change and the flow conditioners behind the front wheels in the earlier upgrades released.
To change the geometry of the suspension, you need to pass a crash test. It's unrealistic.

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 12:05
mwillems wrote:

To change the geometry of the suspension, you need to pass a crash test. It's unrealistic.
For all elements? It's quite common for front and rear to have changes that ensure airflow can move as freely as possible past the suspension. Mclaren brought mid season changes last year.

Do you know where this is stated in the rules?

trinidefender
trinidefender

Tomsky wrote:
mwillems wrote:

While true in a general practical sense it’s not true in a technical sense. See the Mercedes that built its chassis with multiple mounting points for its front suspension allowing them a wider range of setup options.

But yes, for McLaren and every other team your statement remains true. I only mentioned this in case someone misinterprets what you’re saying and uses the logic incorrectly in the future.

djos

Good interview with Oscar just popped up on YouTube.

"In downforce we trust"

SilviuAgo

MCL38 in Australia:

and more form Albert Fabrega

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
20 Mar 2024, 15:02
Tomsky wrote:
mwillems wrote:

While true in a general practical sense it’s not true in a technical sense. See the Mercedes that built its chassis with multiple mounting points for its front suspension allowing them a wider range of setup options.

But yes, for McLaren and every other team your statement remains true. I only mentioned this in case someone misinterprets what you’re saying and uses the logic incorrectly in the future.
I think it is likely to be for parts fitted to the crash structure or the safety cell, not for every part of the suspension, as minor changes for airflow are made during the year, as they were last year for Mclaren. But if you could post a link to the rules that would be helpful, I'm curious to learn more, perhaps we did crash tests in the middle of the season last year, it may have happened.

geogate
geogate

quite surprised at that rear wing - thought it be medium high, not medium low like that

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

geogate wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 23:23
quite surprised at that rear wing - thought it be medium high, not medium low like that
There are a couple of slow turns, as well as a quick series of high-speed turns where you need to quickly move the steering wheel left and right. Even from the first practice, it was clear how many mistakes there were in this place. Many people lack stability in the rear end. I’m kinda surprised that McLaren didn’t bring the Bahrain spec rear wing here. Yes, it is even more aerodynamically loaded, but stability could be achieved even more.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 22:55
trinidefender wrote:
Tomsky wrote:

I think it is likely to be for parts fitted to the crash structure or the safety cell, not for every part of the suspension, as minor changes for airflow are made during the year, as they were last year for Mclaren. But if you could post a link to the rules that would be helpful, I'm curious to learn more, perhaps we did crash tests in the middle of the season last year, it may have happened.
As much as I’ve been following and studying Formula 1, this is the first time I’ve heard of such a rule. The regulations state that the cables inside the suspension arms must hold the hub, steering knuckle and wheel so that the wheel does not fly off somewhere. Typically, crash tests examine the nose cone, side structures, rear structure and the top of the monocoque. Although I myself have never seen how exactly the upper structure is tested for impact.

On the other hand, there is logic in Tomsky’s words. Changing the geometry of the suspension arms will mean that you will have to re-route the cables and make sure that the wheel does not come off. And this meets direct safety rules. In the past, wheels often flew off and could cause damage. However, they are still flying away. When changing the attachment point, you will have to look for a new point where you will have to attach the cable.

genarro
genarro

how does race pace look? Are we in front of Merc and Aston on race pace?

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 04:57
mwillems wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 22:55
trinidefender wrote:

As much as I’ve been following and studying Formula 1, this is the first time I’ve heard of such a rule. The regulations state that the cables inside the suspension arms must hold the hub, steering knuckle and wheel so that the wheel does not fly off somewhere. Typically, crash tests examine the nose cone, side structures, rear structure and the top of the monocoque. Although I myself have never seen how exactly the upper structure is tested for impact.

On the other hand, there is logic in Tomsky’s words. Changing the geometry of the suspension arms will mean that you will have to re-route the cables and make sure that the wheel does not come off. And this meets direct safety rules. In the past, wheels often flew off and could cause damage. However, they are still flying away. When changing the attachment point, you will have to look for a new point where you will have to attach the cable.
It does make sense. But as they say, the devil is in the detail.

I can't find anything on the Internet or in the tech regs that supports it, but the regs around crash testing are lengthy and wordy, I have probably missed it. Like you it is the first time I heard it, so want to learn the detail.

All I can see is that it says any significant modification requires retesting. I can't see where the significance is defined.

Edit: It also says only calculations on.load for parts directly attached to the survival cell and behind . XA=250 are required this is what I was suggesting. No rules on the tether specifically.

Suspension does need to be attached during testing if attached to the rear impact structure. There is nothing in the rules mandating the testing of the front suspension as far as I can see.

So the mounting points on the gearbox casing are also not subject to retest if changed.

There appears to be decent freedom to change these points in season and within reason, which is why it is not uncommon to see it.

Merc moved theirs at the front in their Monaco update last year and left the old mounting points on.

It was not a new crash tested area, otherwise they'd shed the weight and ditch the old mounting point.
Last edited by mwillems on 22 Mar 2024, 10:52, edited 5 times in total.

_cerber1

genarro wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 09:38
how does race pace look? Are we in front of Merc and Aston on race pace?

CjC
CjC

Sorry to dampen things but Piastri had a strong long run in Bahrain FP2 too…

However it looks to me that Piastri has definitely sharpened his pencil for this season which I think we all expected he would👍🏻
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

Oscar has really stepped it up this year. Impressed with him. He was faster than Lando in Saudi, and almost neck and neck in Bahrain, which is a very high deg track and experience is invaluable.

He seems to be very competitive here in home soil as well.