2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Saw the replays again, Alonso was looking at Stroll the whole time and was way on the outside of the corner. When Hamilton started braking, Alonso had his moment with Stroll, Stroll was turning in and they closed the door on Lewis not even knowing he's there. Racing incident, Hamilton's move was completely clean and the tap was as light as they come
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:17
Saw the replays again, Alonso was looking at Stroll the whole time

zibby43
zibby43

zeroday wrote:
04 May 2024, 06:53
zibby43 wrote:
04 May 2024, 03:44
Just_a_fan wrote:
02 May 2024, 11:36

Max is better than Sergio, Hamilton is better than Bottas is not shocking news. Some drivers are better than others. But no driver can go faster than the car is physically able to go is my point. If the Merc is still half a second slower than the competition then it's half a second slower than the competition.
I agree with that. I think another way to frame what I said would be, in equal machinery I think Max is clearly faster than George and whatever this burned out version of LH is.
Unrealistic comparison. Most would (and probably still do) have said the same about LH able to school Max in equal machinery when LH last drove a good car (ie. his entire career up to and including the W12 -- so decade+ straight). These last 3 tractor "cars" destroy driver confidence due to their unpredictability which forces them to change their style and hesitate. In short, they aren't being their true selves.

Max, has been fortunate to have driven good Newey designed cars his entire career, but had suffered from bad engines (e.g. Renault was unreliable) in his early career, until they moved to Honda. So, if/when Max finally drives a bad car i fully expect people will begin to say Max wouldnt be able to compete in equal machinery, totally forgetting his confidence will almost certainly will take a nose dive in his finally first badly designed car -- hiding his true abilities.

This is why it bad to speculate and one can only get a vague glimpse by basing it on careers, not recent snapshots.
Lots to unpack here. Some of this I agree with. Some I do not.

The point about bad cars affecting confidence? Absolutely true and a huge piece of the puzzle. However, it seems this is a more important factor after a driver of Lewis or Seb’s caliber have sampled a dominant car for a few years.

I would argue Max didn’t get his first fantastic car until ‘21.

At the peak of their powers, I’d take LH over a single lap in qualifying over Max and in race trim, I’d probably still favor LH as well. But stick them in equal machinery today and it’s Max - full stop.

zibby43
zibby43

Vanja #66 wrote:
Saw the replays again, Alonso was looking at Stroll the whole time and was way on the outside of the corner. When Hamilton started braking, Alonso had his moment with Stroll, Stroll was turning in and they closed the door on Lewis not even knowing he's there. Racing incident, Hamilton's move was completely clean and the tap was as light as they come
How I saw it as well. Concise and fair summary.

Luscion
Luscion

AR3-GP wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:28
Vanja #66 wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/g0cthjHM/image.png
To me it looks like Stroll dives in on Alonso, he has nowhere to go, they make contact just as Lewis arrives,that pushes alonso more to the right, Hamilton nudges Alonso as both Astons are still making contact around the corner sending him back into Stroll and Stroll hits

Last edited by Luscion on 04 May 2024, 20:46, edited 3 times in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Luscion wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:40
AR3-GP wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

To me it looks like Stroll dives in on Alonso, he has nowhere to go, they make contact just as Lewis arrives,that pushes alonso more to the right, Hamilton nudges Alonso as both Astons are still making contact around the corner sending him back into Stroll and Stroll hits Norris

I agree that it was a mess with multiple drivers contributing small parts to it. Typical lap 1 nonsense that hasn't been punished in the past. The only person free from blame is Norris but I would understand if Norris wants all of them to be punished.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

Ha, my bad, from his onboard he actually was looking behind too long and failed to notice what is happening ahead... Not a good day for Alonso.

#BlessYouLaddie

trinidefender
trinidefender

Vanja #66 wrote:
Don’t disagree about Alonso and Stroll. Definitely disagree about Hamilton. Hamilton wasn’t making that corner, a complete divebomb.

This picture demonstrates it quite succinctly

You can see Hamilton understeering heavily into the other cars.
Last edited by trinidefender on 04 May 2024, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

trinidefender wrote:
04 May 2024, 20:57
Don’t disagree about Alonso and Stroll. Definitely disagree about Hamilton. Hamilton wasn’t making that corner, a complete divebomb.

https://i.postimg.cc/MHj5zSZm/image.png
Not keeping the (inside) line and not making the corner are two different things. Aggressive, but legal attacking and defending moves are all about using the full width of the track

#BlessYouLaddie

trinidefender
trinidefender

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 May 2024, 21:00
trinidefender wrote:

Not keeping the (inside) line and not making the corner are two different things. Aggressive, but legal attacking and defending moves are all about using the full width of the track
Look at the video in my edit. He understeered into the other cars.

Luscion
Luscion

i disagree with that tweet, while Lewis did hit into Alonso, the crash between the two Astons happened before he got there because Stroll dove in on Alonso, they were still making contact when Lewis hit Alonso

trinidefender wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

You can see Hamilton understeering heavily into the other cars.
You do realise ALOs car pivoted due to his collision with STR? Your pic is not a reflection of ALOs true trajectory without contact. HAM would’ve navigated the corner without incident. ALO was headed straight on
Last edited by 214270 on 04 May 2024, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Vanja #66

trinidefender wrote:
04 May 2024, 21:01
Look at the video in my edit. He understeered into the other cars.
Yes. Because they were fighting and turned in suddenly and already clashed. If Alonso was on the brakes earlier and Stroll kept the same line, it would have been a different story. Alonso would have kept out of it and maybe Hamilton hits Stroll, maybe not.

#BlessYouLaddie

Ozan
Ozan

if HAM wasnt even there divebombed, ALO would already hit the right rear tyre of Stroll

mwillems

It felt to me unreasonable to expect the space on the inside to remain there for as long as he needed it to. A disappearing wedge as Brundle would say. It seemed a little too eager to get some "easy" position. But a racing incident none the less.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.