2024 Alpine F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Alpine F1 Team

I read that their internal cooling was very inefficient last year so there are probably more changes underneath as ScuderiaBrandon has said.

K1Plus
K1Plus

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 18:09
I read that their internal cooling was very inefficient last year so there are probably more changes underneath as ScuderiaBrandon has said.
Isn't their cooling the reason for being so bad at Monza, they were the 9th fastest car there.
Considering they were very good at Las Vegas, I think their Monza showing was not purely down to the engine

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

K1Plus wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 21:28
AR3-GP wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 18:09
Isn't their cooling the reason for being so bad at Monza, they were the 9th fastest car there.
Considering they were very good at Las Vegas, I think their Monza showing was not purely down to the engine
Yes. Gasly was on the podium in a cold, damp sprint race at Spa as well.

organic

That makes a lot of sense.

JordanMugen

Jambier wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 20:44
I believe Alpine will cry about [RB] ( rightly in some way it is not fair)
Why didn't Alpine build an innovative car with the goal of dominating the 2024 championships? A car to take pole position by one clear second in the Bahrain GP?

Do Alpine-Renault simply not have the ideas to build a car with a 2-3 second per lap step from 2023 - perfect for being clear of the field at the front, midfield squabbles a distant memory - despite the budget cap?

scuderiabrandon wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 14:56
Harman did a good breakdown of the inernal changes at the launch event. I guess that's where most of the energy and time went into and they'll evolve the aero cocnept throughout the season. It was clearly not their biggest focus for the winter.
If so, Alpine-Renault don't seem very ambitious about winning the 2024 championships...

If they had brought a 2s/lap step they might still fall short of Red Bull, but at least they would have tried!

yepp4
yepp4

JordanMugen wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 11:29
Why didn't Alpine build an innovative car with the goal of dominating the 2024 championships? A car to take pole position by one clear second in the Bahrain GP?

Do Alpine-Renault simply not have the ideas to build a car with a 2-3 second per lap step from 2023 - perfect for being clear of the field at the front, midfield squabbles a distant memory - despite the budget cap?
Just a few thoughts...

Is it really possible nowadays to bring big innovations that effectively make a difference, even more so after few years around those regs ? Even if you bring one, you have to invest a lot and make it so it would work with the rest of the car and if you go wrong with the budget cap, you're screwed for the rest of the season (mercedes).

The way the budget cap has been introduced and Alpine being under for a long time, the cap won't have any level effect until the next regs, so they better learn to understand the weak/strong points of their team/car and learn to make effective changes/evolutions throughout the season (which they failed at last year).

Being understaffed, below the cap, and having big team/staff/management changes didn't help but that's on the management/De Meo's side, not the team itself.

The example to follow is not RBR, they have such a great advantage, they can build and afford to take some risks. It's probably not Aston because they started their 2023 car really soon and benefited from that then failed to bring effective changes. It's probably McLaren, they have found a way to understand their flaws and to develop effectively throughout the year.
JordanMugen wrote:
22 Feb 2024, 11:29
If so, Alpine-Renault don't seem very ambitious about winning the 2024 championships...

If they had brought a 2s/lap step they might still fall short of Red Bull, but at least they would have tried!
Alpine did try the "we will win in xx races or have yy podiums this year" ambitions several times and it didn't work and make them look like fools (and probably done some damages to the team morale), so being pessimistic and overdeliver might be a nice way to build that confidence and find the good way to operate for Famin, they had that good approach in 2022 and it worked, they just have to repeat it at a higher rate/level.

Espresso
Espresso

Well Alpine also have an L-duct variant like Red Bull (vertical inlet + shark inlet)

Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

ME4ME

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/gasl ... /10579278/
"It has been very clear with Esteban, we had very similar feedback straight away," he said.

"And then yes, it's all about analysing whether we can fix these issues with set-up ahead of next week, or whether we need bigger upgrades to counter these couple of issues which we can identify already.
Seems the drivers have picked up on some undesireable behavior of the car straight out of the box. Not great for Alpine.

JPower
JPower

Wouldn't be surprised if the car ends up being pretty decent after 5-7 races but they'll be in a hole until then. People are going to overreact, they just need to not panic.

JPower
JPower

From AMuS:

The new Alpine A524 cut the worst figure of all the cars. The car is overweight, aerodynamically inefficient, slow on one lap and in continuous running. In this form, the French racing team is the first takeover candidate. No factory team can afford to permanently sit around at the back of the field. High-ranking engineers are said to be on the move.
Yikes. Maybe my optimism is unfounded.

Jambier

Yep.

Fan since ever of Renault, family worked there since a century

What a shame to see that.
I mean, this is always the same story and we are even nostalgic of Abiteboul now

This year I expect RB to be ahead so one place down compare to 2023

But what else can we expect? They never put the money and hire top people, so max they can do is a decent midfield car

organic

Don't think all should be doom and gloom

Xyz22
Xyz22

Jambier wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 22:10
Yep.

I mean, this is always the same story and we are even nostalgic of Abiteboul now

But what else can we expect? They never put the money and hire top people, so max they can do is a decent midfield car
To me it seems there is a huge mismatch between the management expectations (i.e. fighting for the win in x years/races, etc.) and what they actually do to reach that goal.

Also, the new car seems the result of a very inefficient structure/organization. They are saying the car is both overweighted and draggy. How is it possible that they made a completely new chassis that is over the minimum weight in 2024 (3 years into the reg cycle) ? Moreover, how do you even think to make a draggy car if you have an underpowered PU? It doesn't make any sense from a technical design perspective as well.

Jambier

Xyz22 wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 23:08
Jambier wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 22:10
Yep.

To me it seems there is a huge mismatch between the management expectations (i.e. fighting for the win in x years/races, etc.) and what they actually do to reach that goal.

Also, the new car seems the result of a very inefficient structure/organization. They are saying the car is both overweighted and draggy. How is it possible that they made a completely new chassis that is over the minimum weight in 2024 (3 years into the reg cycle) ? Moreover, how do you even think to make a draggy car if you have an underpowered PU? It doesn't make any sense from a technical design perspective as well.
Agreed:

- Expectations makes no sense regarding what money they have put. They have put enough to be a solid midfield team.
- They have been naive twice regarding the engine, this is not acceptable
- And then it seems indeed that they don't have a strong leader, a strong technical and sporting direction

I don't have any hope in terms of futur winning, I think they will stick to just be here in F1, score some points and podium.
This is not bad if you are just a sponsor like Alfa Romeo was, but this is bad with a factory team

EJ22B
EJ22B

Xyz22 wrote:
25 Feb 2024, 23:08
Alpine have introduced a bunch of new technologies in the areas which we can't see like the suspension and internal aero shielding etc. These technologies already exist at teams like RB and McLaren but it's first time for Alpine.

These parts are also not as optimised since it's the first time Alpine is using them so naturally these parts will be quite a lot heavier than they should be.

Also, there are limitations to what is possible with their current infrastructure. The driver in loop simulator they are currently are using is a used unit bought from McLaren ages ago. It's extremely outdated and can't be trusted too much which is the reason behind their consistently conservative upgrades and evolutions.

Alpine have invested in a new a state of the simulator and various other facilities but those will come online at the earliest by 2025 so till then they have to make the best with what they have.