Christian Horner under Investigation

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
b2bL44
b2bL44

Re: Christian Horner under Investigation

It is understood that Newey has communicated the reasons for his decision in an internal letter.

A decisive factor is said to have been his broken relationship with team boss Christian Horner, in the wake of the power struggle that took place earlier in the year following the allegations made against him by a female employee.

This came subsequent to previous tensions, including an interview published at the end of last year where Horner said Newey’s role had changed and that “the technical team under him, led by Pierre Wache, is doing a wonderful job so they are not dependent on Adrian."
Horner also explained that Manchester United did not go under when star striker Eric Cantona left the team.

That interview did not go down well with Newey and was apparently perceived by him as Horner wanting to make himself important and minimise the contribution of others to the team's success.

Newey's wife Amanda even shared the interview on Twitter and commented: "What a load of hogwash."
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/newey ... /10605069/

b2bL44
b2bL44

Newey has been unsettled at Red Bull by the fallout from allegations by a female employee that team principal Christian Horner was guilty of sexual harassment and controlling, coercive behaviour.

Horner has always denied the charges and was cleared by an internal Red Bull investigation in February. A second investigation is under way after the complainant appealed.

The allegations unearthed a power struggle at Red Bull between Horner and motorsport director Helmut Marko, and between the Thai controlling shareholder Chalerm Yoovidhya and minority shareholders Red Bull GmbH in Austria.

There has also been growing tension in recent times between Horner and Newey over the designer’s importance to the team.

Horner has seemed to diminish Newey’s input in some interviews, and emphasise the role of the rest of the design group under technical director Pierre Wache. Newey, who eschews the public eye, has privately pushed back against this inside the team.
The Horner controversy may yet have further ramifications within Red Bull. Insiders say other senior figures in the team are also considering leaving as a consequence.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/articles/c84z8qklqvzo

Jdn1327
Jdn1327

Shakeman wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 10:54
PapayaFan481 wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 17:29

All true, but if she was also Newey's PA and he has now lost her services, that may be at least part of the picture.
If this PA had decided to leave for another position in another organisation he would also lose her services. Losing a PA isn't going to rock the boat to such an extent that a senior member of staff decides to leave too. Overactive libidos of CEOs also don't generally cause senior staff to leave organisations.

No one knows what reason if any Newey has for deciding to leave RB or if he has decided to leave at all. Until Newey is directly quoted I'd take these stories with a huge cup of salt.

Let's pretend Newey has confirmed he's leaving but has not said why...

I can remember an interview with him many years ago where he said, I'm paraphrasing, he enjoyed the RB setup, it was run like a privateer team obviously a well funded one, with the underdog ethos and none of the corporate baggage. What if after Mateschitz's death RB has imported a load of corporate baggage?

My favoured pet theory is it's much more likely than not that the fiercely competitive Newey is missing a more hands on role of designing cars and is seeking to find a more intellectually stimulating role in F1 car development elsewhere. Maybe he even wants to test himself against his World Champion RB colleagues? I could see him being right up for that. RB have said themselves how side-lined Newey is due to the cost cap, I just think that role doesn't fit his character which is well known to be ultra competitive, I'm pretty sure it was Coulthard who once described him as the most competitive person he'd ever met.

When you decide to leave an employer it's not normally for a single reason, there maybe a final straw but you tend to have a multiplicity of reasons to leave.

As much as I'd love to see Newey design a car for Lewis, I think Aston is more early RB-esque, wealthy owner, privateer ethos etc etc. If he's leaving he'll go to Aston is my guess. I hope I'm wrong.
Well maybe Aston Martin won't be the right choice for him. Lawrence Stroll is more a businessman than an F1 team owner. He'll make AM profitable and then sell it. Newey is looking long term. Ferrari are reportedly offering him 100million euros over 4yrs...thats for a designer...80% of drivers don't earn that salary. Some serious flex from Ferrari.

Whether the allegations against Horner are false or not. The damage has been done already. Once Marko and the Verstappens leaves I feel imo that Redbull might start going the way of Mercedes. This is just my opinion though.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

I think Newey needs to be in a separate thread.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Jdn1327 wrote:
01 May 2024, 05:15
Shakeman wrote:
30 Apr 2024, 10:54
PapayaFan481 wrote:
28 Apr 2024, 17:29

All true, but if she was also Newey's PA and he has now lost her services, that may be at least part of the picture.
If this PA had decided to leave for another position in another organisation he would also lose her services. Losing a PA isn't going to rock the boat to such an extent that a senior member of staff decides to leave too. Overactive libidos of CEOs also don't generally cause senior staff to leave organisations.

No one knows what reason if any Newey has for deciding to leave RB or if he has decided to leave at all. Until Newey is directly quoted I'd take these stories with a huge cup of salt.

Let's pretend Newey has confirmed he's leaving but has not said why...

I can remember an interview with him many years ago where he said, I'm paraphrasing, he enjoyed the RB setup, it was run like a privateer team obviously a well funded one, with the underdog ethos and none of the corporate baggage. What if after Mateschitz's death RB has imported a load of corporate baggage?

My favoured pet theory is it's much more likely than not that the fiercely competitive Newey is missing a more hands on role of designing cars and is seeking to find a more intellectually stimulating role in F1 car development elsewhere. Maybe he even wants to test himself against his World Champion RB colleagues? I could see him being right up for that. RB have said themselves how side-lined Newey is due to the cost cap, I just think that role doesn't fit his character which is well known to be ultra competitive, I'm pretty sure it was Coulthard who once described him as the most competitive person he'd ever met.

When you decide to leave an employer it's not normally for a single reason, there maybe a final straw but you tend to have a multiplicity of reasons to leave.

As much as I'd love to see Newey design a car for Lewis, I think Aston is more early RB-esque, wealthy owner, privateer ethos etc etc. If he's leaving he'll go to Aston is my guess. I hope I'm wrong.
Well maybe Aston Martin won't be the right choice for him. Lawrence Stroll is more a businessman than an F1 team owner. He'll make AM profitable and then sell it. Newey is looking long term. Ferrari are reportedly offering him 100million euros over 4yrs...thats for a designer...80% of drivers don't earn that salary. Some serious flex from Ferrari.

Whether the allegations against Horner are false or not. The damage has been done already. Once Marko and the Verstappens leaves I feel imo that Redbull might start going the way of Mercedes. This is just my opinion though.
IF Newey brings the kind of success Red Bull has enjoyed, to Aston Martin, there is no reason to sell Aston Martin. Currently, every F1 team is profitable under cost cap. A successful team would be attracting millions of sponsorship money. If a brand like AM succeeds, it's definitely going to rake in a billion atleast through an extended period. Newey isn't going to be working for another 20 years. May be 5 to 7 years more. It's a good stint if he chooses AM. He can work in UK with pretty much similar culture.

Going to Ferrari means, the expectations would be that he builds a winner for 2025, even before he starts. :D Plus, the added pressure from Management and Media. To top it all, the vastly different culture and linguistic environment. In his prime, it was a good challenge to undertake, but at the winter of his career, it's a huge gamble. Lack of success can make him look like a criminal as was Prost.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Wouter wrote:
02 Apr 2024, 16:58
BBC: Christian Horner complainant is 'upset, scared and lonely', says family friend

Very long article worth reading. Some quotes:
The woman who complained about Red Bull team principal Christian Horner's behaviour is "very upset, angry, scared, intimidated and lonely", a family friend has told BBC Sport.

A Red Bull spokesperson said: "Christian has not made attempts to [make sure the employment tribunal is private]. And she has not been suspended with the intent of firing her."
https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/68712864
That's a big change from awhile ago when she was saying her friends from the band U2 were going to make a song about her. Colour me skeptical.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
03 May 2024, 00:19
Wouter wrote:
BBC: Christian Horner complainant is 'upset, scared and lonely', says family friend

The woman who complained about Red Bull team principal Christian Horner's behaviour is "very upset, angry, scared, intimidated and lonely", a family friend has told BBC Sport.

A Red Bull spokesperson said: "Christian has not made attempts to [make sure the employment tribunal is private]. And she has not been suspended with the intent of firing her."
That's a big change from awhile ago when she was saying her friends from the band U2 were going to make a song about her. Colour me skeptical.
Were there ever any direct quotes from her saying that, or just people claiming she'd said that etc?

Wouter

PapayaFan481 wrote:
03 May 2024, 10:39
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
Wouter wrote:

Were there ever any direct quotes from her saying that, or just people claiming she'd said that etc?
It was a German journalist who said that. He didn't quote her and he didn't say she said it.
He found out that she was related to U2 and that they would make a song about the saga. That's all!
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
Wouter wrote:

When did she say that her friends from the band U2 were going to make a song about her?!

The members of U2 aren't her friends, she is related to a member of U2, The Edge, her brother is married with his daughter.

So .... I would like to see a source from your statement. A link would be great.
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

The source is teamkoolgreen hates everything about RBR so can say whatever. Truth does not matter. Just feelings, nothing more than feelings to stay with a musical theme.

Wouter

Sieper wrote:
03 May 2024, 11:41
The source is teamkoolgreen hates everything about RBR so can say whatever. Truth does not matter.
Just feelings, nothing more than feelings to stay with a musical theme.
Yes, I know. :D
The Power of Dreams!

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Wouter wrote:
03 May 2024, 11:30
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
Wouter wrote:

When did she say that her friends from the band U2 were going to make a song about her?!

The members of U2 aren't her friends, she is related to a member of U2, The Edge, her brother is married with his daughter.

So .... I would like to see a source from your statement. A link would be great.
Ah..so she's related to members of U2, who were going to make a song about her ordeal and her lonely self.

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-rumor ... -sack-him/

Wouter

Wouter wrote:

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
03 May 2024, 20:09
Wouter wrote:
03 May 2024, 11:30
TeamKoolGreen wrote:

Ah..so she's related to members of U2, who were going to make a song about her ordeal and her lonely self.

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-rumor ... -sack-him/
I asked you "When did SHE say that?!" and a link from that. She didn't say that at all! It was Ralf Bach who said that.

And she is not related to memberS, just to ONE member, The Edge.
The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

She’s got the edge on Horner.

Jaeger
Jaeger

Well well..

"Red Bull managing director Oliver Mintzlaff has given his first public backing to Formula 1 team boss Christian Horner, insisting he is the right man to bring the squad more success."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... /10607144/