Alpine A524

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
christian.falavena

Re: Alpine A524

Henk_v wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 16:28
The reders really look like they extended the sidepod inlets into an s-duct like inlet. But not on the real car
Oh also in the real model! You can see it here

Mat-tes
Mat-tes

The sidepod opening does look like it extends all the way down on the actual car, we got a sneak peek at it during the presentation, matches what is somewhat visible on the renderings.

Theeoo
Theeoo

Henk_v wrote:
The reders really look like they extended the sidepod inlets into an s-duct like inlet. But not on the real car
We can see it on the real blue one, but not on the purple
Last edited by Theeoo on 07 Feb 2024, 16:40, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

The front wing doesn't sweep back as much and the endplate is slightly longer as a result. A little more outward loading on the wing as a result. At least on the launch render comparisons.
Last edited by mwillems on 07 Feb 2024, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

christian.falavena

Mat-tes wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 16:38
The sidepod opening does look like it extends all the way down on the actual car, we got a sneak peek at it during the presentation, matches what is somewhat visible on the renderings.

https://i.postimg.cc/fTfCFBn6/temp-Image-Wu-BQqs.avif
Difficult to say if it's a proper imitation of Ferrari's concept or an additional area of cooling. We need to search if there's any exit hole in the back of it

wiktor977
wiktor977

christian.falavena wrote:
Henk_v wrote:
https://postimg.cc/8fLdsN46
Sidepod inlets don't look to be super small/thin on top, so I doesn't seem like they need any additional air for cooling purposes. I'm not sure but it looks like they want to remove boundary layer. In some way similar to what Ferrari did last year.

organic

SP inlet with vertical extension would suggest s-duct

christian.falavena

wiktor977 wrote:
07 Feb 2024, 17:16
christian.falavena wrote:
Henk_v wrote:
https://postimg.cc/8fLdsN46
Sidepod inlets don't look to be super small/thin on top, so I doesn't seem like they need any additional air for cooling purposes. I'm not sure but it looks like they want to remove boundary layer. In some way similar to what Ferrari did last year.
Pretty sure they want to remove the boundary layer there, but remember that Renault PU has always required much more air than the others

michl420
michl420

Question for the aero profis. Would a cooling inlet in this area do the same job as a free duct (to the top), or would the bigger air resistance prevent this?

gordonthegun

KimiRai
KimiRai

Vanja #66

Hard to say if it's "just" a boundary layer separator or an actual (S) duct, but it's there.

The team didn't really do much, if anything, for pressure recovery on the engine cover and the whole rear end. What's more, those sidepods are quite wide and have a modest undercut. The nose is quite wide as well. Not looking good for their top speed performance.

Hello there, hidden sidepod tunnel. Or should we call it under-undercut

Well, that's another way to separate airflow :mrgreen: Good to see at least some innovation.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Blackout

It looks like an A523B, so it's the same concept as '23, but with some corrections/adjustments, tweaks and optimisations.
So I dont see that boldness they are talking about. I see the aggressiveness in some areas, but there is nothing really new. All the new visible changes existed in other cars, since many seasons, once again.The aero department of Enstone stopped innovating since 10-11 seasons and is constantly copying the other teams since then.

But maybe the most interesting changes are inside, as Harman hinted.

One of the aggressive areas is the new nosecone, the whole underside has been sculpted, so it has a rounded section now instead of a rectangular/fat one like '22 & 23, so it looks sharp like a knife from the side due to that roundness + the black paint.

Aggressive yes, but not new in the paddock.

And they went back to a normal FW after the strange decisions & designs of '23.
The front suspension have relatively big changes too with a more RBResque geometry, or rather Alfaesque, (because it has a pushrod instead of a pullrod), i.e a very high top wishbone leading arm & very low trailing arm, & the steering arm seems to be inline with the lower wishbone now.
But the lower wishbone is not as aggressively downwashy as the RB, or Alfa or Ferrari, its trailing arm is attached directly to the chassis, not to keels

Blackout

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 09:03
Hard to say if it's "just" a boundary layer separator or an actual (S) duct, but it's there.

The team didn't really do much, if anything, for pressure recovery on the engine cover and the whole rear end. What's more, those sidepods are quite wide and have a modest undercut. The nose is quite wide as well. Not looking good for their top speed performance.

Hello there, hidden sidepod tunnel. Or should we call it under-undercut

https://i.ibb.co/74qjzCD/image2-6.jpg

Well, that's another way to separate airflow :mrgreen: Good to see at least some innovation.
What do you mean with separation? and didnt RB have this kind of under undercut last year? (I barely watched f1 last year)

Vanja #66

Blackout wrote:
08 Feb 2024, 10:47
What do you mean with separation? and didnt RB have this kind of under undercut last year? (I barely watched f1 last year)
This small tunnel effectively separates a part of the flow in the undercut completely from the outside flow. Probably gives better predictability in yaw. This is the first time any team did this. If it's a valuable development, we might see copies of it in April or May.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie