Mercedes W15

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
F1Krof

Re: Mercedes W15

Well one thing's for certain that they didn't hold back. =D>

Lets just hope it is as fast as it looks. And I also think they're not showing much either, which gives me confidence that they've done a good job.
Wroom wroom

Luscion
Luscion

organic wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:44
I feel the front wing is where interesting things are happening.

mzivtins
mzivtins

Not particularly enthused about the sidepod intake design, it seems more like a compromise than an outright intention.

I think the remarks on leading the McLaren/Ferrari pack are probably mis-placed.

One of the key aspects for 2024 will be weight loss, it will be interesting to see how much talk of this there is relative to performance post-testing
Last edited by mzivtins on 14 Feb 2024, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.

wiktor977
wiktor977

Luscion wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:32
https://i.imgur.com/SPe3mcA.jpeg
That car is the real car. Picture from garage with the team has different sidepod inlet

organic

Look at the top element. It is connected to the nose only via legality wire

Can see this getting banned or ubiquitously copied

Cs98
Cs98

Good looking car, best livery of the season so far. Nothing really shocking on the design. Following the same route with the big undercut. Slightly different inlet but no under/overbite, a bit more conventional. No waterslides. They've moved the engine cover channels back down a bit, like RB19. Meanwhile RB seem to be going in the opposite direction on that, as well as the nose attachment. Upper SIS still looks to be high.

organic

y250 will be back

Luscion
Luscion

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

organic wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:52

https://i.imgur.com/ihFS232.jpeg

Smell that, thats the smell of imminent protest come testing if they showup to Bahrain with that. While I am sure its legal teams will argue the whole point of this rule set was to get away from the Y250 vortex in the first place.

F1Krof

Wroom wroom

Farnborough
Farnborough

It looks much more a competent racing car than last two years.

Significantly different to AM, making both very interesting considering what they share.

Their consternation with chassis, kinematics, radiator, driver position etc is something we can't tell yet. Although the words from LW & GR after first Silverstone run last year gave some clue as to that one.

This car just looks far more effective at first appreciation, to me looks like much more rounded concept and potential from cursory view.

atanatizante

Some first impressions on the new W15 car:

- Both lower front wishbones and the waved front wing work in synergy to give constant airflow levels to the new higher Venturi`s channels entrance, hence they aim towards consistent and predictable downforce levels now, something that RB has been doing since 2022 ...

- The sidepod air intake resembles the Macca mp4-20 car arch shape from the side but from the front view they have a slimmer/letter box shape and the front lip is cut off diagonally to follow the sidepode external shape.

- Cannon style exhaust has a much smaller size at the rear, presumably for the cooler conditions on the track

- From the side view the last front wing flap has a bigger shape that creates more outwash than the front wind endplate
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

What`s the role of this structure (lip brake intake?) ?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:52

Rules were made to avoid generation of strong vortical structures in that area, so it would have to be banned via TD asap or other teams might follow up quickly and the whole thing could get out of hand. Recent events have shown FOM and FIA don't appreciate such solutions which hamper overtaking capabilities of following cars.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

bosyber
bosyber

CaribouBread wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:39
organic wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:37
https://i.imgur.com/8gEpmN2.jpeg
Very uncanny photo, feels like all the people have been edited in. Either the lighting there is wack or the people were cut/pasted from other pictures.
They have used that garage for a few years now, and it always looks uncanny valley like that so I suppose it's really like that? :)