Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
ringo

Re: Red Bull RB20

chrisc90 wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 12:05
Farnborough wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 08:48
Pull rod front suspension too :D

Hollus cockpit image prompted me with this, watching cool down lap and with MV going round the hairpin .... there was a long additional ? lever on backside of his steering wheel (would be at about 5 o'clock to driver view) this in addition to gear/clutch paddles, also clear in that view of wheel.

I've not previously seen, well not in such detail, that particular installation and wondered exactly what its for.
Wonder if it’s related to the ‘tools’ we hear GP and Max mentioning at numerous points in the race.
Maybe something like a ERS override or something?
Or a third brake pedal? 8)
In this case to do "plugging" of the KERS, or regen control.
For Sure!!

Luscion
Luscion

Rear wing of the RB20 for Chinese GP, bybit sponsor is no longer on it. Sidepods as well

shady
shady

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Apr 2024, 14:41
Fomula Passion and Carlo Platella spotted some other differences with RB20 floor in Suzuka. I think I see one more thing, will post if confirmed. Nope, on the outside there's only the change to topside geometry around SIS tube.

https://storage.googleapis.com/fp-media ... 90x660.jpg
The blue highlights arent the same spot on the floor, the SIPS position is the same in both but the circled bits are highlighting two distinctly different portions, unless you were pointing something else out.

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 07:54
Designed by Rory Byrne and driven by Johnny Herbert :mrgreen:

To be fair, it started with B186 and ended with B189
There were some speculations that RB was outsourcing on RB20 minor consultations, so these inlets were much expected to appear on the car at some moment.

Vanja #66

shady wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 07:01
The blue highlights arent the same spot on the floor, the SIPS position is the same in both but the circled bits are highlighting two distinctly different portions, unless you were pointing something else out.
Both my post and those illustrations are quite self explanatory :)

FDD wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 18:16
There were some speculations that RB was outsourcing on RB20 minor consultations, so these inlets were much expected to appear on the car at some moment.
Newey is no stranger to copying Byrne and Byrne-infulenced designs, he knows how good Byrne is and respects him the most of any other designer. Just one example and not to go off topic, Ferrari tried diffuser with blown exhaust in 1998 with F300 but materials weren't there yet.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
Fomula Passion and Carlo Platella spotted some other differences with RB20 floor in Suzuka. I think I see one more thing, will post if confirmed. Nope, on the outside there's only the change to topside geometry around SIS tube.

If the pic is "right" undercut reminds me on that of F1-75 and with stronger out wash.
If I am right, excellent point.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

On the RB switch to Brembo:
“Our carbon has advantages over that produced by other suppliers because it is more consistent.

It has a very low consumption per kilometre, and the teams really appreciate this characteristic because they are able to use it for longer.”

“Those who use it often tell us that the pedal stretches much less than material from other suppliers and that it has the ability to be very ready when cold.”
https://formu1a.uno/en/brembo-reveal-ho ... ir-brakes/

venkyhere
venkyhere

Vanja #66 wrote:

Somehow missed this post.
This is mega, a big change. Looks like the floor venturi is even more aggressive. The mouth of the cave stays wider and bigger for more span after the entrance and no change in the location of the cave's narrow part => means the cramming of air molecules happens more aggressively.
OR
I am completely off mark, and the change is only to the outwash 'zone' of the floor ?

What does this mean, aero-wise, Vanja ? Does it mean more downforce, or a shift in the center of pressure ?

Vanja #66

venkyhere wrote:
19 Apr 2024, 05:11
Somehow missed this post.
This is mega, a big change. Looks like the floor venturi is even more aggressive. The mouth of the cave stays wider and bigger for more span after the entrance and no change in the location of the cave's narrow part => means the cramming of air molecules happens more aggressively.
OR
I am completely off mark, and the change is only to the outwash 'zone' of the floor ?

What does this mean, aero-wise, Vanja ? Does it mean more downforce, or a shift in the center of pressure ?
The thing with these floors is they are fairly hollow at the front and a bit less near sidepod joint line (teams call it the g-line) so it's basically impossible to determine the magnitude of changes on the underside when looking at the topside geometry.

In any case, this doesn't look like a small change and I think this means there are some changes on the underside too. What they are, only Red Bull knows... :cry:
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

shady
shady

From the F1 broadcast - A lower angle of the floor entrance of the RBR20 elevated on pit jacks

delsando53
delsando53

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

That's just bump steer, nothing special.
Last edited by Silent Storm on 21 Apr 2024, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

chrisc90

Better clip of the geo-movement as mentioned above.

Vappy
Vappy

Anyone wish to explain what we're looking at here in these clips?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

We like to say F1 cars are extremely stiff, but the suspension movement here is very perceptible from weaving at only safety car speed. :wtf:

I have a theory about how heave, roll, and corner stiffnesses are decoupled. This would explain how you can keep the car off the ground in high speed corners, while maintaining good compliance for individual wheel corner kerb strikes.