McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
De Wet

Re: McLaren MCL38

SmallSoldier wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 04:59
Same picture, but it shows better the load downforce configuration, as well as the “dent” on the flap:

https://i.imgur.com/xpq7i5V.jpg

Nice to see some innovation from them again...

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

trinidefender
trinidefender

In all the pictures it looks like a single element beam wing. Can anyone confirm?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

trinidefender wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 15:19
In all the pictures it looks like a single element beam wing. Can anyone confirm?
Maybe it's one of those options that's been tested.

f1rules
f1rules

f1rules
f1rules

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

trinidefender wrote:

Amaro
Amaro

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
I can't tell, I can't see a good picture, but the change of parts document specifically refers to a new upper and lower beamwing element.

This is the best I can see and I'm not sure if there is a very tightly overlapping second element in front of the one we can see.

What is interesting is that if this is the case, then this runs counter to what Vanja was explaining that the two closer elements increase load vs the two seperate elements we saw last week.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

_cerber1

De Wet

Emag
Emag

With Stella saying that they are seeing enough improvement in development to remain optimistic, he mentions a particular area of the car which has remained the same from the MCL60 that ended the season.

And he also said thats not because they do not understand the issue, but because it has taken time to bring the developments on the car.

Of course, he was very cryptic about the area of the car he is referring to, but from what we can see, the external aero has remained largely unchanged (with the exception of the sidepod inlets).

Someone here mentioned when the first renders of the car were released, that they expected at least the front wing to change, yet as it turned out, McLaren kept running with the same front wing from last year (more or less).

If no major bodywork changes are brought downstream, I would expect them to at least bring a different front wing from what they are using now. Not unreasonable to think that the changes in the front suspension layout together with the leading edge of the sidepod might benefit from a more 'delicate' airflow setup at the front.

The amount of load they run on it might be a hint on gains found elsewhere as well, since I believe at the moment, RedBull has an edge over the rest of the field when it comes to generating their required front-end downforce with much less front wing angle (i.e efficient aero)

mwillems

Emag wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 07:39
With Stella saying that they are seeing enough improvement in development to remain optimistic, he mentions a particular area of the car which has remained the same from the MCL60 that ended the season.

And he also said thats not because they do not understand the issue, but because it has taken time to bring the developments on the car.

Of course, he was very cryptic about the area of the car he is referring to, but from what we can see, the external aero has remained largely unchanged (with the exception of the sidepod inlets).

Someone here mentioned when the first renders of the car were released, that they expected at least the front wing to change, yet as it turned out, McLaren kept running with the same front wing from last year (more or less).

If no major bodywork changes are brought downstream, I would expect them to at least bring a different front wing from what they are using now. Not unreasonable to think that the changes in the front suspension layout together with the leading edge of the sidepod might benefit from a more 'delicate' airflow setup at the front.

The amount of load they run on it might be a hint on gains found elsewhere as well, since I believe at the moment, RedBull has an edge over the rest of the field when it comes to generating their required front-end downforce with much less front wing angle (i.e efficient aero)
It was me and I still expect the front of the car to have a rework at least. Whether it is part of the first upgrades is a different matter but I am thinking that it will be. I don't think the front wing is the main generator of front downforce in the slower corners though, where the wing will help but not as much as the floor. It's primary role here is a conditioner I believe. In those troublesome cornering conditions the seal of the floor is weaker and needs the wing to deal with tyre wake to protect the floor as well as to better energise the air going to the floor and undercuts.

I also think that the front wing is only a part of it and I don't think the front wing alone will fix the issues and is some cases, the airflow will bypass the wing and directly hit the tyre. So there needs to be a solution behind the wheel that deals better with tyre wake, clean the air and protect the floor.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Vanja #66

A question for papaya crew here, is the Jeddah rear wing all new for McLaren? Nothing similar used in 22 or 23? :) I don't remember seeing it so far, but it's better to check
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Emag
Emag

Vanja #66 wrote:
19 Mar 2024, 14:22
A question for papaya crew here, is the Jeddah rear wing all new for McLaren? Nothing similar used in 22 or 23? :) I don't remember seeing it so far, but it's better to check
The dimple is a new feature which I don't recall them using last year. However the cutouts on the edges were first introduced in Zandvort last year.