McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: McLaren MCL38

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 12:33
mwillems wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 11:50
Is it not the same main plane as Spa? I don't think Spa and Austria main plane were actually the same. The again, I think angles change perspective slightly and it may be the same as Austria.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F2HeSNNXQAA ... =4096x4096
Spa wing was the same as Austria, just trimmed :)

https://motorsportmagazine.b-cdn.net/wp ... 00x900.jpg
True.

CjC
CjC

Isn’t there something a bit different going on with the rear wing tips on the Mclaren in Australia?

Just a fan's point of view

organic

CjC wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 13:23
Isn’t there something a bit different going on with the rear wing tips on the Mclaren in Australia?

In comparison to Bahrain, definitely new, rounded off rear wing corners

Bahrain reference

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

organic wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 14:14
CjC wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 13:23

In comparison to Bahrain, definitely new, rounded off rear wing corners

Bahrain reference

https://i.ibb.co/VW2ycfM/GHAm-Ipc-XQAAnk3-I.jpg
Now compare the current wing with the one the team brought to Saudi Arabia. The only differences will be in the end plates. Something like a 45 degree cut.

CjC
CjC

To me it looks like there are 2 pieces to the new wing tip and there possibly could be a slot between the 2?

Or it could just be one piece and the new elements are there to reinforce the hinge for the drs pivot?

De Wet

https://formu1a.uno/en/why-mclaren-has- ... the-mcl38/
The problem is mechanical in nature, with Norris still complaining about the poor handling of the car.

Let's hope the aero updates will help enough for a possible win this year...

CjC
CjC

De Wet wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 14:45
The problem is mechanical in nature, with Norris still complaining about the poor handling of the car.

The article also suggests mechanical updates as well… mwillems might be right about some suspension changes… time will tell

De Wet

CjC wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 14:52
De Wet wrote:

The article also suggests mechanical updates as well… mwillems might be right about some suspension changes… time will tell

Sorry... Yes it does...

SilviuAgo

shi ca nota sai yau mortziin pula lu'ala dea dat minus

mwillems

CjC wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 14:52
De Wet wrote:

I just think it might be minor changes to accommodate the airflow from the front. They will be necessary if the front suspension hasn't already been designed with this in mind.

The article is pretty heavy on the idea that it is a mechanical issue. I really don't think it is. I never really thought it was to be honest. I thought it was Aero causing the issue, which is of course supported by a good mechanical platform. I'd like to hope the platform is there, it's just that we haven't put the new Aero on the car that will take advantage of it yet.

We may not need changes to the front suspension and so I don't think it is a big deal if we don't see it. I'd be more concerned with the front wing and the aero parts behind the front wheels. Getting this area to work properly will benefit the car all over, potentially also on the straights.

I know Vanja spoke about the car just having a big rear wing and being dissapointed about its development, but the Aston Martin tech head recently posted a nice description of what makes DRS efficient, and this was how the RW, BW and diffuser work together along with the cooling package and cooling exits.

“For a base drag level, when you open the DRS, other components also come into play, the loading of the flap, the loading of the main plane, the interaction with the beam wing and the floor,” he said.

“The interaction with all the bodywork, the shape of the engine cover, the cooling loss and how you design your cooling package.”

https://www.planetf1.com/news/aston-mar ... ast%20year.

This is probably the best explanation we've had from the paddock so far, although it still leaves the relationships between those parts as a bit of a mystery in places.

I suppose the best way to look at it is that when your wing is open, it puts a focus on how good a job you'd done on some of the other areas. Air flowing through the cooling package is a big part of drag, so sorting this out will always help the car, but then you'd imagine that there is a use for that hot air in how it energises the air over the engine cover and gets to the right place at the rear in a particular way that benefits the car when DRS is open.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

Suggestion here, and I think it was the same at Jeddah, is that the main plane is actually on the smaller side and the DRS flap on the bigger side.

I have to say, this is what I see when I look at the pics. Overall we look similar to RB, if not slight smaller than Ferrari, with Merc being the exception and running another small wing.

We are still bigger than many of the other teams, but they are not our competitors.

mwillems

Another comparison. This time suggesting that the RB has a bigger spoon on the main plane, suggesting the Mclaren Main plane is doing less work and we are putting more load on the DRS flap.

Of course, Beam Wing configurations are another big factor in drag levels and efficiency. Ours looks to be the same as Jeddah?

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 01:06
Another comparison. This time suggesting that the RB has a bigger spoon on the main plane, suggesting the Mclaren Main plane is doing less work and we are putting more load on the DRS flap.

Of course, Beam Wing configurations are another big factor in drag levels and efficiency. Ours looks to be the same as Jeddah?
The beam wing and rear wing are exactly the same as two weeks ago. The only difference I saw days earlier was the trimming of the top of the rear wing. I don’t know if it’s correct to call it the top flap, it’s just that this element is not movable and does not participate in the DRS.

In the future I will call this area the ears.😁

De Wet

Metal inserts on the RW endplate...

Vanja #66

Some detail photos from Motorsport.com

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie