McLaren MCL38

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
mwillems

Re: McLaren MCL38

Matt2725 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:09
Is that not the launch spec MCL60 on the right? The intake/sidepods were altered during the season were they not? Might be worth a comparison with the Abu Dhabi car.

Regarding the midwing, I fully expect Merc to have retained it also. But we'll see.
No it's from the tweet a little higher up, Right is MCL38, left is MCL60.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

In fact on closer inspection its just via well placed angles these shots have been taken from they blended the midwing in with the line between the carbon and the paint on the sidepod to "hide" it

Emag
Emag

Seems like mercedes has retained the overbite as well. So we got RB, Merc and McLaren going this route.

When will McLaren hit the track? Some live pictures on natural lighting would be great for comparison.

Also, we dont have much on the rear suspension yet.

RedNEO

Emag wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:19
Seems like mercedes has retained the overbite as well. So we got RB, Merc and McLaren going this route.

When will McLaren hit the track? Some live pictures on natural lighting would be great for comparison.

RB going overbite is a false flag. It’s still an underbite

mwillems

Emag wrote:

Rear suspension looks the same to my untrained eyes.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Also curious to me is that only now has McLaren made a V-shaped cutout in the drs upper flap mounting area on the rear wing.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:26
Also curious to me is that only now has McLaren made a V-shaped cutout in the drs upper flap mounting area on the rear wing.
I was trying to figure out if that was new or not, nice to see you again. RW doesn't look the same to me, DRS support looks different and the wing looks subtly different including the V. But there were many small variations last year. What do you think overall?

f1rules
f1rules

well they are trying to hide something, simply covered the tunnel/undercut with a photoshop brush,

Last edited by f1rules on 14 Feb 2024, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

f1rules wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:32
well they are trying to hide something, simply covered the tunnel with a photoshop brush

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GGSnqSwXoAA ... me=900x900
The suspension is the only part not easy to hide. I'm expecting a new front wing and Tunnel entrance area come testing to overcome low speed/low df configuration issues. If they are altering the behaviour of the platform at the front, it couldn't be any other way.
Last edited by mwillems on 14 Feb 2024, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:29
LionsHeart wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:26
I was trying to figure out if that was new or not, nice to see you again. RW doesn't look the same to me, DRS support looks different and the wing looks subtly different including the V. But there were many small variations last year. What do you think overall?
And it's good to see you too! The season is revitalising, always love F1 for that. It's like a new breath of fresh air. About the car, I'm a bit late, joined the discussion a bit late, everything was sorted out before me. 😁 Saw significant changes to the rear wing, side pontoons intake, upper front suspension arm fixed like a Red Bull. Noticed this yesterday when I saw the same thing on the new Ferrari.

The front wing is last year's second half of the season, saw no changes, the rear of the side pontoons are more twisted inwards. Perhaps they want to let the air flow around the pontoons from above closer to the centre of the axle above the diffuser. I can't say anything about the floor. Unless we will get new real photos on tests. Yes, I'm also a bit surprised about the intake of the side pontoons. What is the point of leaving the previous solutions is not clear to me yet, I have to think about it.

De Wet

The Sidepod entrance are the opposite of RBR... Hope it works...

Edit... I see in RB20 Speculation tread it's different as well...
Last edited by De Wet on 14 Feb 2024, 13:35, edited 1 time in total.

CjC
CjC

Car is on track. Any one down with a camera??👀
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

Also suspension rod connection looks goofy to me.
Tried to trace them and the vectors dont meet at the middle of the chassis, but let's consider this human error.

Either way, it looks like they connect mid-air and not at the bottom of the nose.

michl420
michl420

The center rear wing support is more detached from the underside of the wing.

mzivtins
mzivtins

RedNEO wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:22
Emag wrote:

RB going overbite is a false flag. It’s still an underbite
Also where is the overbite on the Mercedes?