2024 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, April 05 - 07

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
TFSA

Re: 2024 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, April 05 - 07

DGP123 wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 10:20
stephen wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 00:50
It was another meh race. F1 needs some on track excitement.
Can’t see it happening. Cars are too heavy and cumbersome for any quality wheel to wheel action. It’s mainly strategy, being on the right tyre, and then straight forward, uncontested DRS overtakes. Throw in the championship being over already, and that’s the product we have today. Dire stuff.
This race had plenty of non-DRS overtakes.... We saw 2-3 at Spoon, 2-3 at R130, and 3-4 in the S-section (although one, Max on George, wasn't televised) and 1-2 at the chicane.

I know you're talking about the sport in general, but the guy you're quoting wasn't. 🙂 Just pointing out its not all bad.

venkyhere
venkyhere

The live telecast editing was sub-par for this race, IMHO. The 5-car pitlane scramble which got Tsunoda 2 or 3 places, was never shown 'live' , didn't even show the replay of VER passing RUS, didn't show what happened to HAM chasing PIA after he was passed right at the end by RUS, didn't show an onboard view of how it looked to the driver behind, who came upto degner2 as SAR was dangerously reversing onto the track at the 90 degree bend... etc

De Wet

ringo wrote:
07 Apr 2024, 22:29
Some posts should be ignored. It saves you from being banned. Lol
The W15, though relatively worst than RB20 is an improvement. The other cars have simply improved way more as those could build on good concepts from the previous year.
Mercedes were building from scratch almost each year from w13 w14.
The w15 is much improved in sector 1.

As for the racing, the 18 inch wheels are also the culprit. F1 needs go back to 13 inch wheels or compromise and go to 16 inch wheels.
There is more variation with more meat on the rim, and compliance to do curb riding and other maneouvres. The 18s just add unsprung weight .
I was hoping 2026 would reduce the wheel size and weight, go back to a narrower lighter car, add more ICE power, and change from ground effect back to flat floors. Getting rid of MGUH was a good move but more needed to be done.

They are changing to 16 inch tyres in 2026 IIRC...

Waz
Waz

TFSA wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 11:47
DGP123 wrote:
stephen wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 00:50
It was another meh race. F1 needs some on track excitement.
Can’t see it happening. Cars are too heavy and cumbersome for any quality wheel to wheel action. It’s mainly strategy, being on the right tyre, and then straight forward, uncontested DRS overtakes. Throw in the championship being over already, and that’s the product we have today. Dire stuff.
This race had plenty of non-DRS overtakes.... We saw 2-3 at Spoon, 2-3 at R130, and 3-4 in the S-section (although one, Max on George, wasn't televised) and 1-2 at the chicane.

I know you're talking about the sport in general, but the guy you're quoting wasn't. 🙂 Just pointing out its not all bad.
I saw plenty of non DRS passes, and a lot of DRS passes actually happened in the braking zone.

Honestly don't know what races people are watching.

InsaneX_Badger

Waz wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 15:25
TFSA wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 11:47
DGP123 wrote:

I saw plenty of non DRS passes, and a lot of DRS passes actually happened in the braking zone.

Honestly don't know what races people are watching.
Unfortunately, for many, if the passes are not for the podium then it's like they never happened

chrisc90

Was a good race tbh. Interesting to see the people pitting earlier for a undercut, but 8-10 laps later the fresher tyres were far better.

FW17

The races in this time zone should all become night races like Singapore.

Sepang has installed lights to be relevant to European market, China, Japan and Oz should do the same.

Vanja #66

Seanspeed wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 10:34
I swear there's a straight up concerted effort to just downplay Leclerc at all costs by many here. lol
He's an easy target having so many poles and not having a car to convert them to wins. And in case of 2022 - having a team capable of costing him whole 5 wins starting from 3 poles and 2 second rows. He's proven everything he needs to prove that year, but great talent always attracts great hate...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

chrisc90

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 18:39
Seanspeed wrote:
I swear there's a straight up concerted effort to just downplay Leclerc at all costs by many here. lol
He's an easy target having so many poles and not having a car to convert them to wins. And in case of 2022 - having a team capable of costing him whole 5 wins starting from 3 poles and 2 second rows. He's proven everything he needs to prove that year, but great talent always attracts great hate...
I feel sorry for the hate Sainz gets off some on here...

Vanja #66

chrisc90 wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 18:44
I feel sorry for the hate Sainz gets off some on here...
He received nothing but praise from everyone this year. Bahrain was the only poor start, there weren't any mistakes in races and there were no nonsense theories for his results. Very different from past 2 seasons and hopefully the change is permanent. He's again delivering consistently to his full potential, which was always considerable - just ask Norris.

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

Sieper

Vanja #66 wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:
That also works the other way. He has the car to give him poles while if that car would be more set-up, or simple better suited to convert these to wins he would likely have less poles. It usually is a balance/trade off.

I am not saying this to diminish Charles, he is one of the best on the grid, but the way you wrote it reads if he put it on pole simply on merit alone while I feel the Ferrari of last years was always able to get the tires in the window quickly, and it looked super compliant through turns. Very beautiful to see but also a very capable car for being fast over 1 lap.

Vanja #66

Sieper wrote:
08 Apr 2024, 18:50
I am not saying this to diminish Charles, he is one of the best on the grid, but the way you wrote it reads if he put it on pole simply on merit alone while I feel the Ferrari of last years was always able to get the tires in the window quickly, and it looked super compliant through turns. Very beautiful to see but also a very capable car for being fast over 1 lap.
Not at all, it's clear to everyone that SF23 used the tyres very differently from RB19 and put too much emphasis on one-lap pace, while unstable aero also did not help in the race...

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

Cs98
Cs98

Vanja #66 wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:
Charles, self critical as he is, would be the first to tell you that is not true. Ironically, saying things like that makes him an easy target. Not outperforming his teammate is making him an easy target. The pole to win record is mostly just used to push him as the "fastest man over one lap", which is obviousy not negative at all.

Sieper

I don’t think he left much on the table in the vast majority of those races where he couldn’t convert the pole to a win. It just wasn’t in the car. The pole is just the start of the race.

dialtone
dialtone

LEC put the 2021 Ferrari on pole in baku and was about to win Austria ‘19 before an obviously illegal move by Max. Both events on cars that didn’t belong there. Let’s stop the LEC slander.