2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ringo

Re: 2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

Would love to hear Max and Perez feedback.
Both were off colour today. I wonder if the track temperatures got to them and the nature of the circuit? Tyres, cooling, gearbox etc.. something's not right. Lewis hounding Perez.. in the dog of a W15.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

The first overture is concluded. 4 wins to RB and 1 apiece to Mclaren and Ferrari.

Drivers:
1. Verstappen 136
2. Perez 101
3. Leclerc 98
4. Sainz 85
5. Norris 83
6. Piastri 41
7. Russell 37
8. Alonso 33

Constructors:
1 RED BULL RACING HONDA RBPT 237
2 FERRARI 189
3 MCLAREN MERCEDES 124
4 MERCEDES 64
5 ASTON MARTIN ARAMCO MERCEDES 42

High expectations for Ferrari's upgrades in Imola and we've already gotten a taste of what Mclaren intends to deploy. This european leg of the season will be very interesting. I think we've got ourselves a good old fashioned championship on our hands. There's a long way to go in a 24 race calendar. Mclaren and Ferrari look to have answers that we have not seen in a while. No team will be able to rest on their laurels. It's time to appreciate a good season. The narratives and doom and gloom are dead.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Also, I think people are fooling themselves. Norris's "fresher" tire wasn't decisive and probably made no difference. He was just plain faster. It was seen in flashes on friday and saturday.

CHT
CHT

AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 03:31
Also, I think people are fooling themselves. Norris's "fresher" tire wasn't decisive and probably made no difference. He was just plain faster. It was seen in flashes on friday and saturday.
I do think Max was also reluctant to push because he was happy to see his pal Norris win the the race.

Mclaren winning will annoy Merc for sure..

Watto
Watto

CHT wrote:
06 May 2024, 04:28
AR3-GP wrote:
I do think Max was also reluctant to push because he was happy to see his pal Norris win the the race.

Not a chance of Max doing that. Max ignore his own team to get an extra point for the fastest lap from his team mate, he has a ruthless attitude to winnng.

Lando and the McLaren were just faster in the final stint on the hards.

CHT
CHT

Watto wrote:
06 May 2024, 04:32
CHT wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Not a chance of Max doing that. Max ignore his own team to get an extra point for the fastest lap from his team mate, he has a ruthless attitude to winnng.

Norris is of no threat to Max..if Norris was a close second in the championship Max will not accept 2nd at any cost..

Watto
Watto

CHT wrote:
06 May 2024, 05:06
Watto wrote:
06 May 2024, 04:32
CHT wrote:

Norris is of no threat to Max..if Norris was a close second in the championship Max will not accept 2nd at any cost..
Too early in the championship

IF Max has a mechanical failure in the next race and Charles wins the gap is small.

Lando was able to pull away from Max lap after lap Max has no reply not even close to close in on the last few laps to show. Lando did multiple fastest lap after laps by small margins admittedly. Mac didn't even try and pinch the fastest laps near the end

Was complaing quite a bit about the car not turning in at all. Even in the first stint and though he was managing tyres a little he wasn't pulling away that much.

Lando was just quicker. end of story

Luck plays a bit of a role but McLaren played that card well. Would he had been able to overtake Max he MV was leading I dunno. But I think Lando was just too good/quick in that last sting.

ispano6

Max apparently had some damage from Perez from turn 1 and wing and floor damage from the bollard strike(s).

https://racingnews365.com/verstappen-cl ... ull-damage

dialtone
dialtone

ispano6 wrote:Max apparently had some damage from Perez from turn 1 and wing and floor damage from the bollard strike(s).

I don’t think perez touched max. He would have ended his race on turn 1 with the speed he was going at.

Watto
Watto

dialtone wrote:
06 May 2024, 08:14
ispano6 wrote:Max apparently had some damage from Perez from turn 1 and wing and floor damage from the bollard strike(s).

I don’t think perez touched max. He would have ended his race on turn 1 with the speed he was going at.
Unless they have some data to back that up I tend to agree. I'm sure they had damage.

Aesop
Aesop

Wauw, people downtalking Norris win?
He drove a great race in what was probably the best car. Yes, with a little help from the SC but after that he showed how good he is. Maybe Max had a little damage but he hit the cone all by himself.

As a Max fan I enjoyed the race a lot and I am very curious to see what Imola will bring.

basti313
basti313

TFSA wrote:
06 May 2024, 01:06
joseff wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:46
From the 2024 F1 Sporting Regulations, page 61:
The rules aren't the issue here. It's how they're employed in practice. Even with said rules in play, it was possible for Race Control to not have this happen.

First: Just because you "can" deploy it regardless of where the leader is, doesn't mean you should. You have other options, including deploying a VSC first, and then upgrading said VSC to a full Safety Car when the leader is approaching the end of his current lap.

Second: Even after they screwed it up initially, where the SC didn't catch the leading car, they were way too slow at allowing the cars by, so they could catch Norris. This resulted in several wasted laps that could have been used for racing, rather than just trotting around the track.

This was not well-managed at all.
Sorry, but I do not know why this nonsense about a safety car is going in circles with complete nonsense arguments. The facts:
1. If they think they need a SC they have to deploy it for safety. There is no "wait with VSC", otherwise they can just keep the VSC. In contrast, with the shifted TecPro it was rather a question if they even need to put a red flag out.
2. Once they deploy the SC, it goes out. In case they are in the middle of the pack and the situation allows it, they can wait at the SC line. They tried to catch the leader, but Norris was already on the pit straight, so they simply could not. Some years ago we saw a very similar example in Monza where a Mercedes even passed the SC because they could before the SC line. This was just a rare issue, where the leader was already on the pit straight and it is completely ok to not catch the leader in this case.
3. I do not know why people at McLaren and RedBull had the idea of Norris being maybe a lap ahead. It would have always been the rule to let the pack pass and have Norris behind the SC for the restart.
3. It changed NOTHING. Norris had a gap of roughly 11 seconds before the SC was deployed. A pitstop under SC costs 8 seconds. So even a bad stop would have been covered.
Don`t russel the hamster!

venkyhere
venkyhere

ispano6 wrote:
06 May 2024, 06:41
Max apparently had some damage from Perez from turn 1 and wing and floor damage from the bollard strike(s).

'had some damage from perez' -> I think this is a cooked up hopium-copium idea from someone.
The momentum Perez had, was almost 90 degrees in the direction of Max's car. Any slight touch, would have spun the car getting hit.

SharkY
SharkY

venkyhere wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:58
Feel very happy for NOR. Deserves it. Has been on the bad side of luck for a very long time.

To all those Ferrari/RedBull/VER fans who are sulking and trying to find reasons why 'pure luck' is the sole reason for NOR win :
- yes, NOR would not have had it easy when trying to overtake Ferrari and Redbull in the straights, because McLaren configured their car with highest DF and lowest topspeed
- yes, the safety car pitstop was luck
- but there is no way to say that without safety car, NOR or PIA wouldn't have overtaken ferraris and Redbulls in green flag racing, despite their straight speed disadvantage. Their pace on H was consistently 0.4-0.5s faster than both those teams, even if it was roughly matched pace on M.
- just accept that McLaren can be now declared to have finally nailed the ground effect and their newest update is a testament to it. Their perennial problem of slow corner traction is solved, without sacrificing their medium and high-speed prowess.
- just accept that NOR drove brilliantly and in hindsight, what Mclaren learnt with their H stint in FP1 was valuable.
- just accept that Ferrari/RedBull went wrong with their calculation/extrapolation/sim/algorithms, on how the H would render the balance on their cars, just from M and S data. They might have gotten that right many times before; but on this track where it was tyre-lottery w.r.t grip, their guesstimates were wrong.

Teams converging into same pace after 3 yrs of development, in a regulation era where there isn't any powerunit differences - that's par for the course, isn't it ? McLaren and Ferrari have done brilliantly, to catch up with RedBull. It deserves applause, rather than sulking. If anything, it promises that 2024 wont be like 2023.
Well, I'm happy for Lando too, but I'm not happy that we were robbed of the possible fight for the win by the race control.
With Lando's pace he was likely to win on merit either way, but I'm angry that he was gifted additional 20s for the pit stop by SC picking up the wrong car. Without it, it would be close and Macca would have to nail the pit stop, for Lando not to fall behind Max.

I can say for sure that without SC Oscar wouldn't have overtaken Ferrari and RB, given how hard it was for Lando to overtake PER and PIA was just slower than the two Ferraris. But also PIA didn't receive the full update.

And your Lando's pace estimate with regards to FER and RBR is off. I'm going to exclude LEC from this, as he was on much older tyres. So, average SAI's lap time after he overtook PIA was 1:31,32 (laps 42-56), while NOR's was 1:31,19. So on average Lando was 0,13s quicker than Carlos. With Max the average for the same period was 1:31,47, so 0,28s slower.

So Imola with both Ferrari and RB bringing their own updates might be interesting (here is to hoping that RB didn't build another rocket).

ME4ME

AR3-GP wrote:
06 May 2024, 01:43
As I said before, it's harder than it looks and whenever you think it's boring, just remember that it is anything but for the drivers at the wheel.
I get what you're trying to say.. But when you have to convince yourself or someone else of the fact that "its harder than it looks" and they are probably enjoying themselves.. then you're trying too hard and its probably not all that interesting. I don't mean this particular race, but the logic. I'm sure there are people sharpening a stick in the woods who are enjoying themselves but we don't tune in by the millions to watch them :lol: