Italian GP 2006

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
walter
walter

more about the cover on the rim... I am trying to figure it out and heres how I see it, the cover allows for the air around the wheel to travel mostly without going into the rim. the air inside, behind the cover is supplied by the brake ducts, hot air. I think the separation of the flow is the key. the fast moving air right outside the smaller hole now actually sucks out the air from the inside of the cover since it is creating a pressure difference, high inside, still high, but lower pressure outside. the outside air never gets into the rim, as it did before, improving the aero efficiency and air extraction at the same time. I think that the spin of the wheels is negligible inside the rim this way.

any other insights anyone?

allan
allan

were would the hot air escape from if that tube was completely closed? if it was without those cuts, the hot air won't come out from the wheel nut, or will it???

Saribro
Saribro

allan wrote:were would the hot air escape from if that tube was completely closed? if it was without those cuts, the hot air won't come out from the wheel nut, or will it???
Yeah, I was thinking the same.
And isn't this just normal chimney-effect to suck out the air from the rim ?

manchild
manchild

allan wrote:were would the hot air escape from if that tube was completely closed? if it was without those cuts, the hot air won't come out from the wheel nut, or will it???
Indeed, BUT - Ferrari says that carbon device is to help cooling but as it looks now, observed using that same strange logic, that tube obstructs cooling because instead of having full inner diameter of rim for exit, hot air has to go trough those cuts and than trough central opening. It is pure aerodynamic device... no doubt at all.

Also, tube with those cuts must generate a bit of fan effect which is highly illegal.

allan
allan

well, manchild i have a different point of view about this, but at the end, i think if it was illegal, the fia won't stand still, but if it is legal, then i have no doubt that other teams will copy it as tr, and toyota did
however, i was looking at today's photos, and i was surprised with this one:
a regular three flaps front wing for monza??? it's unusual, isn't it??

Jason

Very unusual, last year Mclaren ran 2 very short flaps only. Why 3 this year? That car is fragile enough already!

Some interesting pictures:
Ooo..Military helicopters!
AC Milan player Kaka in the pit lane
Close view on an engineer working on the engine
Mclaren's unusual 3 flap front wing
BMW's brake fluid
Close up on the Ferrari engine
Midland's brake disc
AP brake system
I see something on the front wing
Toyota's engine
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

any updates on the weather? there doesnt seem to be any mention of rain anymore in the F1 news

Jason

Ralf copies his brother's helmet locker.

Saribro
Saribro

Tihi, Kimi takes pole by 0.002s :D

ackzsel

Wow, did you see the damage on Fernando's bodywork? He may be glad he scored a 5th position.

Jason

Michael crosses the line and take pole - my brother spilts my ear
Kimi wins by 0.002 - I mashed my brother like mash potatoes

Saribro
Saribro

Those tyres are friggin' weapons :/, they totally destroyed the flipups and sidepod winglet.

pRo

saam wrote:If people dont know why MS is called the "rain master" then what do they really know about F1 is the question i would be asking !!!!!
Well...lets take a minute to remember how shoemaker has been doing in rain during last few years...

2006, Hungary, crashes with Heidfeld, DNF
2005, Spa, crashes with Sato, DNF
2003, Interlagos, crashes into wall, DNF
(has there really been that few rainy races lately? :? )

Not that impressive, is it?

He might have been good in rain when he was younger. Some say almost as good as Senna, some say even better. But some titles just aren't appropriate for the rest of your career. Shoemaker rainmaster is one of them. IMHO of course. :wink:
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

captainmorgan
captainmorgan

is Renault allowed to fix Alonso's bodywork before the race?

bhall
bhall

pRo wrote: Well...lets take a minute to remember how shoemaker has been doing in rain during last few years...

2006, Hungary, crashes with Heidfeld, DNF
2005, Spa, crashes with Sato, DNF
2003, Interlagos, crashes into wall, DNF
(has there really been that few rainy races lately? :? )

Not that impressive, is it?
Man, look beyond the numbers.

The Bridgestone wets and inters were terrible - and Schumi's were nearly gone at the time - when compared to the Michelins this year in Hungary. Not a fair comparison, even though he was the top-running Bridgestone driver.

And don't forget that it was Sato who took Schumi out at Spa last year.

And also don't forget that in 2003 at Interlagos, all the Bridgestone runners were on intermediate tires in torrential rain, due to stupid FIA regulations at the time.