JPM's NASCAR Revue

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
Scuderia_Russ

West wrote:
Out of line? About what specifically? That Ferrari is primarily a marketing machine? Get real? OK, since you suggested it, here’s a dose of reality for you. In the early 1990s, Ferrari sought to replace their legendary F40 supercar. The supposed replacement, the F50, had a small problem. The car could not defeat the F40. Ferrari realized that once the press got wind of this the negative publicity would undermine the Ferrari marketing machine. So Ferrari did something that to this day I still struggle to believe. Ferrari leased every one of the F50s. The official reason was that they did not want speculators driving up the price of the car on the open market. The lie would later be exposed when the Enzo was released and no such program was deemed necessary though Enzo prices have long since sailed through the speculative level. So what's so important about leasing a car? Well, when you lease a car the person driving it does not actually own the car. As such the car owner, Ferrari in this case, can dictate the terms of the lease. Prominently spelled out in the lease was a set of clauses which said in effect that under no circumstances, NONE, was the car to be allowed to undergo instrumented testing by any automotive journalist.
Ahh, Mr. Ferrari would have been proud! :D
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Ray

CIRO!!!!

Thanks for the energizer photo in your interview post. I never noticed the R/C car till now, and it made me bust out laughing! Thanks for the much needed belly laugh.

Ray

One of the biggest reasons I can't wait for JPM to start racing in NASCAR...............Connie. What a gorgeous woman! :shock: One of the best looking in the world IMO.

cerebraljl

JPM wins the Telcel-Motorola Mexico 200

Scuderia_Russ

Ray wrote:One of the biggest reasons I can't wait for JPM to start racing in NASCAR...............Connie. What a gorgeous woman! :shock: One of the best looking in the world IMO.
I'm more of an Eva Longoria man myself.
-Henry Ford-

jaho101

I'd have both.

Scuderia_Russ

That's just greedy!
-Henry Ford-

allan
allan

Juan Pablo Montoya has won his first race in the NASCAR Busch series this weekend in Mexico. The former McLaren driver joined the series this season and showed a strong performance.

The Colombian's win didn't come easy though. With only eight laps left he spun team-mate Scott Pruett to take the lead. "I'm very sorry about what happened with Scott," Montoya said after the race. "I thought he saw me and when he came across I had no room to go."
Typical Montoya! :D

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

Typical Montoya all the way, fantastic race, great drive. :D

"That was a vintage drive for him," team owner Chip Ganassi said about Montoya. "That’s what makes this guy what he is today."

He said he will be careful, I wonder what would happen if he wasn't? :lol:
“It’s frustrating, but we had the pace. It wasn’t bad luck. It was a reflection of our intensity of development.” - Ron Dennis

m3_lover

If you saw the move... Montoya just got greedy...Reminds me of that time that him and Ralf hit each other on the first lap (can not remember which GP) at BMW Williams
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

manchild
manchild

Scott Pruett : "The dirtiest, nastiest move I've ever seen done by a teammate". :lol:

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

Pruett was not happy... But he overdid it a bit IMHO.

"I'm really happy," Montoya told autosport.com. "When they told me we didn't have enough fuel to make it to the end I thought I wasn't going to win this one. The team did a great job and despite all the problems were able to make it.

"I'm very sorry about what happened with Scott. We're both teammates here, we raced together in the 24-hours, you know.

"I braked a little bit later than him, went for the inside, I was there and I thought he saw me because he was coming quite wide, and when he came across I thought 'Oh my god'. I had just no room to go. I tried to back off, but it was too late."
“It’s frustrating, but we had the pace. It wasn’t bad luck. It was a reflection of our intensity of development.” - Ron Dennis

Ciro Pabón

Oh, man. That was sad. Bad luck, that's not the way to win. Montoya's car was the best in that race. I was at the edge of my seat: in 20 laps he went from 22 to 1st. He even made an extra-stop and everything. As we say here: "he gave them soup, main course and dessert".

I guess he couldn't avoid it. He really braked hard and took the grass afterwards. How the crash did not involve the entire field, beats me. I also don't understand what Pruett thought he was doing. My wife, no fan of NASCAR said: "I only saw that yellow car crossing him. What was Montoya supposed to do? Dissapear? I don't know about racing, tell me what was he supposed to do...". Montoya braked hard and crossed hard, I thought. "But that's not what american fans are going to say" was my answer to her. He could have lost the car easily. I still wonder what was Pruett doing, but...

I was really happy up to that moment. After that, well, I don't know. I had to go outside my house and take a look at the sky, before coming back inside to look at the perfunctory end. Besides, if there is a guy that didn't deserve it, was Pruett, his teammate in Daytona. It would have been nice a 1-2 for Ganassi, after so many years of being a mediocre team: this shows me, this reaffirms me in my opinion that NASCAR still have a place for romantic, gifted individuals and that not everything is lost against "the technical machinery". I want also to believe that Juan played a part in the mechanical revival of the team, but I'm not sure about that.

However, Juan showed he is, in my humble and biased opinion, the most complete driver I've seen. This guy can win a soap box race or a trailer race.

It is the first victory of a Latin American in NASCAR, btw. Well, if JPM proved he is a wide range driver, I only wish some better luck for him next time: if there is something worse than losing when you deserve to win, is winning without being noble and deserving victory.

As our national soccer team once said: "to lose is to win a little". I guess you could say it in reverse for this race: "to win is to lose a little"... :cry:

He MUST compensate Pruett somehow. Scott was incensed, let me tell you he is not going to be at victory party! I know Juan can do something extraordinary for Scott to forgive him: he is also a noble guy, even if too eager sometimes. That's what has killed many opportunities for him.

Anyway, nobody could take the smile out of me today: no one can say Mr. Montoya doesn't learn as fast as anyone and I know many countries have invested tons of money trying to breed someone like him. We're lucky to have this kind of racer in this country.

I'm waiting for his next move: I hope is one out of generosity toward his teammate and I'm sure Juan Pablo is not going to be as lame as to give Pruett his trophy, or to allow him to win next race (while everybody notices it) as other drivers have done... :roll:

Of course, knowing him, I'll bet he is going to do something catastrophic with astonishing frequency: I really don't care. I love his style even if I am unable to decipher how he does it. I only pray for him not to kill himself; the rest, I don't care.

Final comment: I'm not sure about this, I haven't followed NASCAR closely for over a decade, but no driver has ever received that kind of publicity in so little time, except maybe Jeff Gordon and his amazing entrance to NASCAR world. He needs to diminish somehow the envy this can cause: some americans are not precisely the humblest people in the world, if you know what I mean. You have, sometimes, to handle them with tweezers, specially those few that believe that USA is a gift from God to humanity. Not all, (heck, almost no one) are like that, but the few that believe it are a pain in the kidneys.
Ciro

Ignis Fatuus
Ignis Fatuus

Ciro Pabón wrote:Oh, man. That was sad. Bad luck, that's not the way to win. Montoya's car was the best in that race. I was at the edge of my seat: in 20 laps he went from 22 to 1st. He even made an extra-stop and everything. As we say here: "he gave them soup, main course and dessert"...
None of the two deserved this. It was great race, best one I've seen in ages. I just hope they can sort this out and learn a lesson or two from it.
But I am definitely looking forward to the next race. :)

Ted68

Ciro Pabón wrote:. "But that's not what american fans are going to say" .
You are right, Ciro. Dale Earnhardt made a career out of those moves, just ask Rusty Wallace, and was worshipped for it. He didn't get the nickname "The Intimidator" for his style of fair play. In one race Big D was told he needed a caution to make the end on fuel, he replied, "I'm working on it!"

I put it off to a racing accident as I don't think Pruett anticipated anyone going as deep into a corner as Montoya did. And Montoya figured the corner was his, and Pruett should back off. Culture Crash!

It's going to be a fun season again for the first time in a long time. I really think JPM will do well at Martinsville and Pocono as well as the few road courses.

Can't wait!