Chat F1 Technical

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
m3_lover

Chat F1 Technical

Hey guys... I know we can not have a chat room in F1 technical as this was discussed before on the forum... so I was thinking that we can have a group discussion of any willing members discussing the race while it is progessing. I was thinking of making a list on msn...where the race is about to start having a group convo... If interested Pm with your e-mail address.. and I promise no fake emails or being signed up to anything..just want to discuss the race with my fellow members...Good or Bad Idea..lets hear
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Why not setup an IRC channel? QuakeNet is a good network, the service bots are easy to use to hold and manage the channel

tomislavp4

I like the idea, it will be great if we do something like that :D

Venom
Venom

Yes, IRC is a good idea.

*in*
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

m3_lover

diesel..can you set it up?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Venom
Venom

It is pretty easy to setup a channel on IRC, only requires a few commands to be entered and you're there.

But let's not rush into things, we should see what Tomba has to say about this. Whatever he has to say, I will agree with him.

Spyker MF1

*in*
Best F1 games on the net for free check
http://batracer.com/ and
http://b3.f1managerpro.com/index.php

johny

yes, the irc is better idea than msn group conversations. With live timming, irc and tv we'll look quite proffesional

manchild
manchild

Isn't it better to use yahoo messenger? I mean it has conference option which is something MSN does not (if I'm not mistaken).

http://messenger.yahoo.com/feat_conf.php

[img:566:390]http://info.umuc.edu/de/ezine/how_to/ya ... erence.gif[/img]

johny

yes, you can invite people to make a multi-conversation

Venom
Venom

Yahoo is more user friendly, but has drawbacks.

Is there a limit of members allowed in coversation?
Do you have to be invited to join?
Do you have to install the software and register?

If you have an IRC channel, it's very open and can be well controlled. Other users can join which would promote F1 Technical, it is very text-based program which would reduce ping if many users participate.

Anyhow, would be fun to chat and comment during the races, well, commercials for many.

manchild
manchild

I see a few problems...

If that irc chat would be named f1technical than it must me moderated for the sake of reputation of site. You can't expect Tomba or Principessa to sit 24/7 and kick off people who are typing profanities or similar things. You can't also expect them to sit near PC during whole race and miss the action because they'd have to observe what is happening on chat.

I think that the best way would be that chat software is added allowing only forum members to use it in order to prevent people with bad intentions. I suggest that for example forum members with 10 posts or more get the status of chat moderator so they can kick and ban intruders that would register just to get on chat.

This free chat allows only form members to access it
http://chat-forum.com/freechat/index.htm

It uses its own bandwidth so it wouldn't increase traffic and costs for Tomba and all that is needed would be to insert some html code into f1tecnical.
Service Overview
Our Free Java Chat Room service allows any website to add a PRIVATE chat room that is only accessible to users from YOUR website. No special hardware or software is required. You simply add some HTML code that we supply to a page on your site and we do all the rest! You do NOT need any special web hosting requirements such as CGI script access etc. The system uses OUR bandwidth and resources.

How It Works
Once your unique HTML code has been placed on a page on your website, any user with a Java enabled browser accessing that page will automatically download and run a small Java chat applet from our servers.

Our unique Java chat applets boast many features including private chat windows, admin ban (removes user from chat) / gag (stops user typing into room) & warn (pops up a warning to user), change font colour and sizes, optional user profiles and more!

Venom
Venom

manchild wrote:I see a few problems...

If that irc chat would be named f1technical than it must me moderated for the sake of reputation of site. You can't expect Tomba or Principessa to sit 24/7 and kick off people who are typing profanities or similar things. You can't also expect them to sit near PC during whole race and miss the action because they'd have to observe what is happening on chat.
It is only proposed for during the event. As I said, IRC channel can be controlled (max users, password, invite (requires invite)) etc. An operator can easily set any of those settings, as well as kick/ban users. There are also scripts for advanced useres which can be set to autmatically detect and kick any offenders who flood and missbehave. But that is most likely not going to be required because spammer only attack big channels.
manchild wrote: I think that the best way would be that chat software is added allowing only forum members to use it in order to prevent people with bad intentions. I suggest that for example forum members with 10 posts or more get the status of chat moderator so they can kick and ban intruders that would register just to get on chat.

This free chat allows only form members to access it
http://chat-forum.com/freechat/index.htm
It sounds good, but how is Tomba going to set the restrictions to specific forum members? There are many free-chat softwares, even those who integrate with phpBB forums (this type of forum) but all require some kind of installation process.

The only reason I suggested IRC is because it is most popular chat protocol in the world, therefore it's well distributed and many people are familiar with it.

Anyway, we should hear from Tomba first.

manchild
manchild

Venom wrote:Anyway, we should hear from Tomba first.
I think it's better if we decide something on our own and than force him to fulfill what we want :lol:

Just kidding, of course we must her from him. This is only our thinking out laud. :wink:

onon
onon

i like the idea of being able to chat and ask stuff during the race. race strategies, etc. totally support the idea of chat.