Chat F1 Technical

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

If you need help with and IRC channel let me know. I would recommend QuakeNet as a net work as their channel services are top notch and It's dead easy to run a channel there. I'm on QuakeNet alot as well as I run other things on there so if you needed and active moderator I wouldn't mind chipping in.

An IRC channel is the proper implementation for this. Trying to use a messenger is only going to be messy. As others have said the channel only needs to be open on race weekends, It can be locked with a password when it's not being used so it doesn't require 24/7 moderation.

Saribro
Saribro

Quakenet is easy indeed, with sufficient people, an L bot can be requested that will keep the channel alive, and safeguarded from takeover.
Closing it down outside of raceweekends is a bad idea imho (for an IRC channel at least).

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Doesn't have to be closed down, you could just set +m (moderated) which means only oped and voiced users can talk in channel.

If the channel takes off you can upgrade from L bot to Q bot and possible get yourself an S bot to control spam in channel.

Phoenix

I know that I do not post on this forum often, but do I read it. So for what it's worth, I totally support an online chat before and/or during a race. I do believe it is a great idea.

ketanpaul

I really think that this can be an awesome addition to F1T's portfolio. It will be extremely interesting to be able to chat during weekends, however I think we should include the following -

1. We should be able to chat 1 on 1 with any other forum member or make our own groups to talk about something.

2. Of course, there should be a general chat where everybody can chat, however due to the large number of members of this site, we ahould make separate rooms for separate topics of discussion, just like Tomba and Principessa have created all the topics in the forum.

3. If it can be integrated in the main site design, nothing like it!!!

4. Voice chat, if possible :lol: :lol:

I am not very much into the technical side of all this stuff but would be glad to help if some donkey-work is needed :lol: :lol:

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

1on1 chat or Private Messaging is a standard feature of IRC :)

johny

IRC seems the best way to implement that, that way we could have a nice chat and in addition everyone can have personal chats so i don't see any problem with that. I don't know how it works nor any IRC client but it won't be a major issue so we just need to make it go

manchild
manchild

So where do we stand with chat idea? First race is in almost there and I haven't read no news about F1 chat room yet. Anyone working on it?

I would but I'm not familiar with IRC, I can only chat in mIRC and that's all. :oops:
Last edited by manchild on 10 Mar 2007, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

nae
nae

irc is the protocol and mirc just a client for it

an irc channel sounds good

manchild
manchild

I know mIRC is just a client, someone should create an IRC channel, right?

nae
nae

yer, just join it (/join #whateveriscalled) and provided its empty your an op, as shown above an L bot will maintain the channel initially, and further bots can be got if required.

thought from the amount of posts on this forum i would guess it would need a fairly active set of admins. and that could be fun.

i would prefer quake net as i idle on that mostly anyways

johny

we should do a test before the race, so anyone that usually uses irc just open the channel and we'll join it

pRo

There's no need to open a channel. Anyone can do that by joining a channel. If it was empty, it's now opened. It will also be closed when the last person leaves it.

#f1technical.net would be an obvious channel, right?

What networks are you guys using? Over here only teens use Quakenet, so I'm not comfortable with that. IRCnet is kinda popular over here, but I suppose EFnet is still #1 in US?
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

m3_lover

Well I live in Canada and the first practice is at 11 o clock at night. I was thinking of having the first offical chat on thrusday on the first practice?
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

manchild
manchild

Yeah, yeah... we need to practice too :twisted:

Than qualifying and race (lots of F words... FIA, Ferrari, Felipe :lol: )