F1 Night races

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Phoenix

Spyker MF1 wrote:I think Bahrain would be the best nght race just because it doesn't have any scenery and nothing would be hidden or missed during the night
I have never been to Bahrain, but considering that the race is in the middle of the desert, it may get quite chilly at night and may pose a problem for spectators and bring up a tyre situation. In any case, tyres would pose a hurdle because lack of actual sunlight on the tarmack. Just one more thing to consider.

Ray

Sorry Tom, forgot your point about the harbor. That is a very real danger. Didn't think about that. I think they'd be okay though, trained divers would probably be a good idea!

jbenum
jbenum

Night races would be awesome. Think about it, watching F1 at 2 pm --- up your Sunday schedule, but if there was a race later in the evening you would probably be watching TV anyway.

Not to mention the awesomeness of nightracing, and I'm sure the cars would look quite cool with a hefty led-lamp in the nosecone.

Fan Solo
Fan Solo

Im stilll sticking with Suzuka as my fave 8)

I wonder how the new tyres would handle 130R? anyway I digress.

With regard to electricity, Im sure there must be a nice energy efficient LED the size of a fooball out there somewhere, I also think that the reason night racing is better is that you can only see the track, not the scenery so it forces you to concentrate more on the cars, which imo is fine :D

I really hope it comes off, and another thing.....F1 needs to go Hi Def! soon!!
MMIAFN

ginsu
ginsu

I agree on the night races, but I don't think it should be a 'classic' track like Suzuka or Spa or Monaco, but one of the new, very boring Tilke tracks. I think Fuji is out of the question simply because Mt. Fuji looks awesome during the day.

I think China, or Turkey or Bahrain. Also, since we have so many night race NASCAR tracks in the US. Maybe it would be easy to light up Indy? Now that I think of it, Indy should be the night race, so many more Americans would watch the race too.
I love to love Senna.

Tom

The problem with an Indy night race is that Europe has the biggest F1 following and a night race in America wouldn't be shown till past midnight which would lead to a huge decline in veiwers. I'd get up for it but what about all the people who have to work on Monday morning? I know that seems very unfair to all the Americans who have to get up at unearthly hours to see a live race usually but the problem is Bernie doesn't loose much money for that, if half of Europe stopped watching he'd go into a little corner and cry.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

bizadfar
bizadfar

Tom wrote:The problem with an Indy night race is that Europe has the biggest F1 following and a night race in America wouldn't be shown till past midnight which would lead to a huge decline in veiwers. I'd get up for it but what about all the people who have to work on Monday morning? I know that seems very unfair to all the Americans who have to get up at unearthly hours to see a live race usually but the problem is Bernie doesn't loose much money for that, if half of Europe stopped watching he'd go into a little corner and cry.
Dude every race here is 12am + Brazil @ 5am. Do u think that stops us? lol...

ginsu
ginsu

I know that seems very unfair to all the Americans who have to get up at unearthly hours to see a live race usually but the problem is Bernie doesn't loose much money for that, if half of Europe stopped watching he'd go into a little corner and cry.

well, ok, i agree, but I thought F1 was trying to get more press in America? Maybe F1 will never be back the way it was in the eighties. Street races in Phoenix and Long Beach....the good ole days.

It's too bad, I think Indy is kinda boring. I'm sure it'd never work but Laguna Seca would be an incredible GP.

I live in Oregon and the weather and the roads remind me of Spa, so there is potential for some great tracks in the US. Seems strange, but alot of the Western US is undeveloped.
I love to love Senna.

Ray

My vote for a US race would for a race to be held on the mountain roads of West Virginia! :lol: Who better to crash you car in front of than some ingenious Hillbillies?! :lol:
Last edited by Ray on 08 Feb 2007, 09:39, edited 1 time in total.

joseff

Yup if you crash and break a winglet they'll jes' patch it up wit sum good ol' spit and chewing gum and send the feller right out again.

Tom

or eat the driver :D :lol:

I do like the idea of a night race, and I can't see why Laguna Seca can't be used, its quite a small compact track isn't it? wouldn't be hard to light it all. Also California would be a suitably glam place for F1. As long as they don't get snowed out again.

Speaking of snow...
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

bhall
bhall

I think the problem with Laguna Seca is that the Corkscrew is just too extreme for modern F1 cars; though, I could be wrong.

I'd loooooooooove to see an F1 race at Laguna Seca though. I'd sell all of my possessions to make it out there.

Saribro
Saribro

The TF106 didn't seem to mind. Zonta even set a lap record with minimal setup time (I think they did 9-10 laps total?) and hard tyres last year.

flynfrog

bhallg2k wrote:I think the problem with Laguna Seca is that the Corkscrew is just too extreme for modern F1 cars; though, I could be wrong.

I'd loooooooooove to see an F1 race at Laguna Seca though. I'd sell all of my possessions to make it out there.
You are wrong

Like Sariro said the TR106 did it

and its not like they are any closer to the ground than a champ car.

Ray

Laguna Seca is awful narrow though isn't it? I know the cars aren't that wide but they would have trouble heading three wide, like they did in some parts of the Chinese GP. Well at least until they crashed of course! I still think that a Monaco GP at night would be awesome, but Bernie would ruin it and the tickets would at least double in price. :(

I still stand by my West Virginia race. If anything happens, an awful nice Hillbilly would greatly love to help some Eyetalian feller get his car a runnin again. :lol: :lol: