F1 Night races

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bhall
bhall

To sort of echo what Ray said, in essence that's what I had in mind when I said that Laguna Seca is too extreme for modern F1 cars. It's not so much that I don't think one F1 car could do it, like the Toyota; more that I think an entire field of F1 cars can't. It's too narrow, and it's too short.

johny

not just because corkscrew, imo Laguna Seca's standards are far from f1 ones, track is wonderfull and have a special touch but we know bernie and hosting a f1 grand prix is so hard

flynfrog

all of those things you say to narrow to extreme ect can be said about manaco and it also dosent meet fia stafety standards

Ciro Pabón

Agreed, flyn. Last time I spoke about "Manaco" defficiencies at GP I was chastised by The Mole... :lol:
Ciro

Ranald
Ranald

Monaco does meet FIA standards, there wouldn't be racing there if it didn't. The circuit just doesn't meet standards for permanent road courses but does meet standards for temporary street circuits.
"I was having a ---" - Kimi Riakkonens response to Martin Brundles questioning of why he had missed Peles presentation to Michael Schumacher before the Brazilian GP 2006.

ketanpaul

Well Monaco at night could be really awesome. Just imagine the fireworks going out at the podium celebrations, or all those boats on the harbour in lights!!! It can be an unforgettable spectacle :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm gonna dream about this tonight :lol: :lol:

Ray

These are the guys that light Nascar tracks. Read the little box on the right about the lumens, candlepower, and cost. I remember someone saying something about the cost of it. Over 3 billion candlepower for a little more than $240 is a pretty good deal to me.

ginsu
ginsu

I was thinking about an American night race (which would really boost popularity of F1 here) and I've got it, the ultimate night race would be obviously in Las Vegas. Imagine a street circuit with the main straight down the Las Vegas strip. I know I'm dreaming, but what a nice dream it is. ;)
I love to love Senna.

jddh1

ginsu wrote:I was thinking about an American night race (which would really boost popularity of F1 here) and I've got it, the ultimate night race would be obviously in Las Vegas. Imagine a street circuit with the main straight down the Las Vegas strip. I know I'm dreaming, but what a nice dream it is. ;)

Coming back to the night races topic (and I apologize for starting another one without checking first).

If you want a city in the states to do it, I think NYC is the best. Imagine F1 cars driving around Manhattan. Of course, they'll have to repave some of the street, but imagine the exposure with the start finish line on Times Square.

And if you want extra fun, let the cabbies drive around as well, picking up and dropping off fans around the "track".

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The technology is there, NASCAR has proven it can work. But you have to install a dedicated lighting system to turn night into day on the track. Run it Saturday night, and I personally believe it will be an unqualified success.

jddh1

do you still run qualifying on Saturday early afternoon? these are issues teams wanna know about, and throwing it out there like bernie is it's not such a great idea. if he's thought about the logistics, then fine...I'm cool with watching the asian GPs at 8am here in the states rather then Saturday evening

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Well, why not run qualifying 24 hours previous to the race?
And as for timing, if, for example, the race in Japan started at 8:00 PM local time, that would make it noon or 1:00 PM for most of Europe. Just a very sweet time slot. In NY, it would be 7:00 AM. I think that would be preferable to 1:00 AM. Because right now, for the European F1 fan races in the far east come at a brutal hour, I think around 5:00 AM.

jddh1

I just read an article about Mark Weber questioning the issue about the lighting if it rains. I never thought about it to be honest, and I must say, it is something the FIA has to think about.

Tom

Dave, I 'enjoyed' the Melbourne race till past 4 before the on-board of Ralf finally put me to sleep.

Surely if you ran qualifying a few hours before the race the quali times would blitz the fastest race lap times by seconds, but having it on a Friday night is just asking for trouble.

Don't worry, someone will come up with the brilliant idea of running the race on a Wednesday, thus eliminating local rush hour traffic problems and allowing everyone in Europe to watch the race at a reasonable time.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

ds.raikkonen

night races are a no no from a driver's point of view..and that too at the challenging Suzuka?they ll be mad to do that! and as already mentioned by yu ppl..its gonna be costly as well...floodlights on the track all around..and the stratospheric bill..and the possibility of drivers drifting off to sleep :wink: ..just kidding..Bernie, plz think again.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC