Getting serious in Bahrain

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Getting serious in Bahrain

With the exception of Spyker and Williams, all the teams are testing in Bahrain. With less than a month remaining until true combat, things are turning very serious. Lap times are getting much closer, and teams are starting to show their true potential.
Looking at some of the quickest times, Massa has been quickest so far with 01:31.778. But the 9th quickest, Barrichello, at 01:32.920 isn't that far behind. And he did 100 laps. Yup, that's a lot of testing, a very heavy schedule.
Usually I pay little heed in pre-season test times, because of so many variables. Some teams never put on all the go-fast parts until race day. Some teams use radical setups, low fuel, and FIA-illegal parts to post headline-grabbing times just for the media attention.
But this time, I think that the teams are getting serious and not playing games. With the retirement of Michael Schumacher and the migration of Alonso, so much is uncertain concerning who will capture the title.
Ferrari are hurting after the last two years, and really want to get back on top of the mountain. Renault want to prove they can win without Alonso. McLaren want to prove they can win with him. BMW, after their first year operating independantly, want to build on a very successful year and climb the next rung of the ladder to being serious contenders. Honda and Jenson Button, after doing so well in the last half of last year, believe they are there, ready to win the title. Reb Bull have almost all the pieces in place now. Maybe Coulthard and Webber are capable, but all they need are a little more seasoning and a top driver to take the Newey-designed car to the top. SA, with basically last year's Honda, are going to surprise a lot of people and display an amazing improvement. Williams just cannot afford a repeat of last year. A poor showing could seriously damage the very company, with devastating effects. Spyker, even though adopting a neglected team, appear very serious and do not intend to be considered laughable. STR are still the number two team to Red Bull, I have no idea what will come of them. That leaves Toyota. Three years ago I thought that '07 was going to be their year, when they became true contenders and had a top car and team. I'm sure glad I'm not a betting man, I have absolutely no idea where they are and which direction they are going. I wonder if the people running the show know either. Only time will tell for that team. I do believe that supplying engines to Williams was a good decision, but that allowing Ralf to race for them is absurd. Look it up in the dictionary under "waste of money". There's a picture of Ralf in a Toyota uniform.
Back to the topic, Bahrain has become very interesting, and we're starting to see some very serious action.

pRo

Times from Thursday, what's up with Renault? :shock:

Kovalainen said that they were really trying, but just couldn't go any faster. They were having serious issues getting heat into their tyres. And if they can't get them warmed up in Bahrain, they will have huge issues on many tracks, cause it doesn't get much hotter than that. Kovalainen also said that they pretty much already have all the new parts in the car, so they aren't getting any help from there either.

1. Massa Ferrari 1.31,766 86 laps
2. Räikkönen Ferrari 1.31,901 47
3. Button Honda 1.32,099 83
4. Hamilton McLaren 1.32,182 83
5. Barrichello Honda 1.32,570 101
6. de la Rosa McLaren 1.32,621 47
7. Vettel BMW-Sauber 1.32,652 104
8. Trulli Toyota 1.32,787 33
9. Heidfeld BMW-Sauber 1.32,810 49
10. Davidson Super Aguri 1.32,996 76
11. Kovalainen Renault 1.33,139 113
12. Piquet Renault 1.33,816 92
13. Webber Red Bull 1.34,077 27
14. Coulthard Red Bull 1.34,595 31
15. R.Schumacher Toyota 1.35,265 35
16. Liuzzi Toro Rosso 1.36,345 25
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

ketanpaul

Glad to see Honda is making improvement :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vasco

pRo wrote:Times from Thursday, what's up with Renault? :shock:

Kovalainen said that they were really trying, but just couldn't go any faster. They were having serious issues getting heat into their tyres. And if they can't get them warmed up in Bahrain, they will have huge issues on many tracks, cause it doesn't get much hotter than that. Kovalainen also said that they pretty much already have all the new parts in the car, so they aren't getting any help from there either.
Well they did do long runs, so that might have been their focus. Also, is it just me or has lewis hamilton been faster than alonso throughout the testing?

pRo

Vasco wrote:
pRo wrote:Times from Thursday, what's up with Renault? :shock:

Well they did do long runs, so that might have been their focus. Also, is it just me or has lewis hamilton been faster than alonso throughout the testing?
Yeah, they did long runs, but so did the other teams. :?

Not sure about Hamilton/Alonso. Here's the latest, where they drove on the same day.

Barcelona, Wednesday:
4. Alonso McLaren 1.22,103 114
6. Hamilton McLaren 1.22,292 125
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

allan
allan

nice race spec mclaren :wink:
i think Ferrari have gone back to the old set of wings, haven't they?
Last edited by allan on 23 Feb 2007, 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

Keir

allan wrote:nice space spec mclaren :wink:
i think Ferrari have gone back to the old set of wings, haven't they?
I noticed that - I'm glad I wasn't going mad.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

At Catalunya 12 Feb quickest was de la Rosa (McLaren) with 01:22.634. Kovalainen was 01:23.491, just 0.857 secs off. Next day, quickest was Massa at 01:21.181 with Kavanainen at 01:21.819, just 0.638 slower. Then on 14 Feb quickest was Coulthard at 01:21.855. Fisichella achived 01:22.758, 0.903 secs off.
A recent statement by Button "Will we be there already at the first race with a car that's as quick as Renault, Ferrari or McLaren? I don't know," he told Autosport." indicates that Renault is still considered one of the cars to beat.

joseff

Honda seems to have reinstalled the guide vanes in front of the sidepod inlets... another sign of cooling problems?

Sawtooth-spike

joseff wrote:Honda seems to have reinstalled the guide vanes in front of the sidepod inlets... another sign of cooling problems?
Maybe there are there just for the hot races this year?

If not they seemed to be fairly fast last year with them.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Timstr
Timstr

joseff wrote:Honda seems to have reinstalled the guide vanes in front of the sidepod inlets... another sign of cooling problems?
They were there from day one. On the launch car.

joseff

Not visible here
http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/v/Ho ... 0.jpg.html
nor here
http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/v/Ho ... 0.jpg.html

But apparently yes, it's there
http://www.f1technical.net/gallery/v/Ho ... 4.jpg.html

The blackness makes it hard to see stuff on the car.

SoftBatch
SoftBatch

Renault has the Ferrari wheel lip