Aston Martin to F1?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Rob W

Aston Martin to F1?

David Richards is part of a group who've just bought Aston Martin... with his F1 team entering next year is this a sign of Aston Martin's entry to the sport?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6442101.stm

Rob W

whiplash

It would be nice to see them in formula one but has David Richards already said he is going to buy an existing chassi engine Combination

m3_lover

I think the consurtium that invested in with David Richards are a investment company with strict islamic prinicples ( I think it is called Shariah law) I was reading about it today...they dont invest into things that promote alcohol or gambling which Johnny Walker promotes through Mclaren..I know it is a stretch but it was mentioned in the newspaper that I read today
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

Rob W

whiplash wrote:It would be nice to see them in formula one but has David Richards already said he is going to buy an existing chassi engine Combination
Can't he rebrand it however he wants though? (with the agreement of the engine people though)... or it might be his two-three-four year goal to work towards making his own engines.

Rob W

joseff

If Aston Martin still has their handbuilt engine facilities and all, they could simply buy the Cosworth design and manufacture the engines themselves.

As for the rest of the car, well... there are always a few minardis, prosts or arrows lying around. Although a Prodrive-Aston Martin running behind Spykers can't be good for brand image.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

If Ford/Jaguar couldn't realize a benefit from F1 I seriously doubt Aston Martin can get anything from this. It wouldn't surprise me to see a VWor similar branding though.

whiplash

The link below is to a picture of the car Aston Martin used the last time they came into F1
Sorry about the quality but I took this at the Donnington collection pre digital .

http://www.manchester-rcbc.co.uk/astonf1.htm

Ranald
Ranald

No Aston Martin F1 and I for one am relieved http://www.autosport.com/news/grapevine.php/id/57255

Aston should stay in GT racing and will according to DR.
"I was having a ---" - Kimi Riakkonens response to Martin Brundles questioning of why he had missed Peles presentation to Michael Schumacher before the Brazilian GP 2006.

Rob W

As mentioned a while back....

David Richards - Aston Martin could enter Formula One in five years' time.

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3 ... 35,00.html

Rob W

ds.raikkonen

whiplash wrote:It would be nice to see them in formula one but has David Richards already said he is going to buy an existing chassi engine Combination
Well you cant make your own components in an year and jump into F1...they ll have to buy engines from others like Renault etc...it ll take some time for them to make their very own F1 engine and chassis.But anyways it ll be good to see AML outside endurance & GT racing.
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC