Red Bull and the fuel filler cap

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ds.raikkonen

Red Bull and the fuel filler cap

What the heck is happening with their fuel caps?It was flopping around in Oz,and now in Bahrain too,and that really got poor Webber out.And before the crash,the drastic aero imbalance due to the cap sticking out caused the wing beside the air intake duct to rip off too.Comments>?
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

FW 21
FW 21

I would imagine that the engine cover winglet was either cracked or that it was simply not designed strong enough.

As for the fuel flap, Its probably just a bad design or faulty parts in the fuel flap mechanism.

Now that there is a month off, I wouldn't expect Red Bull or Sauber to have these problems again.

ds.raikkonen

FW 21 wrote: Now that there is a month off, I wouldn't expect Red Bull or Sauber to have these problems again.
Lets hope not..i dont wanna see that happening again.Although Bahrain was a bit too windy,Barcelona wont be..that makes their life a bit easier
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

manchild
manchild

Isn't it strange how that obviously movable device influencing aero isn't found illegal for years?

Giblet
Giblet

Would not hingeing the flap from the other side ensure that the wind would keep it closed?

Tom

Its probably something as simple as the fuel flap motor burning out and when the car leaves the pits its not closing, rather than the wind ripping it up. Its a very simple component but it can still fail. I suppose even the heat can cause parts of the motor to expand and jam, I don't suppose the teams spend much time worrying about these factors.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

bizadfar
bizadfar

Re: Red Bull and the fuel filler cap

ds.raikkonen wrote:What the heck is happening with their fuel caps?It was flopping around in Oz,and now in Bahrain too,and that really got poor Webber out.And before the crash,the drastic aero imbalance due to the cap sticking out caused the wing beside the air intake duct to rip off too.Comments>?
I don't think he crashed mate, he eventually stopped off track (safe area) because of the gearbox. Damn he is frustrated for sure. People say Kimi carries Mechanical failures with him. It follows Mark everywhere, but I'm confident they"ll get over it... See the consequences of Adrian Newey, trying to max out everything.
Tom wrote:Its probably something as simple as the fuel flap motor burning out and when the car leaves the pits its not closing, rather than the wind ripping it up. Its a very simple component but it can still fail. I suppose even the heat can cause parts of the motor to expand and jam, I don't suppose the teams spend much time worrying about these factors.
Forgive me if i dont understand your post correctly but how isn't it a important factor? Losing so much straight line speed even compared to his team mate, which run around the same downforce with an identical package.

Tom

Watching the race he didn't loose that much speed, he still overtook a car into turn one after he'd lost his winglet too. And bear in mind that this track has just about the fastest straight in formula one combined with the head wind, his speed loss that day would be more than at any other time on any other track.

I'm sure the teams are too busy worrying about the engine/gearbox/fuel pump failing, a terminal problem that would put them out of the race, after they've sorted these problems (which RBR and Renault haven't) then they can worry about fuel flaps, so at the moment its not an important factor for the team.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

ds.raikkonen

bizadfar wrote:I don't think he crashed mate, he eventually stopped off track (safe area) because of the gearbox. Damn he is frustrated for sure. People say Kimi carries Mechanical failures with him. It follows Mark everywhere, but I'm confident they"ll get over it... See the consequences of Adrian Newey, trying to max out everything.
Tom wrote:Its probably something as simple as the fuel flap motor burning out and when the car leaves the pits its not closing, rather than the wind ripping it up. Its a very simple component but it can still fail. I suppose even the heat can cause parts of the motor to expand and jam, I don't suppose the teams spend much time worrying about these factors.
Forgive me if i dont understand your post correctly but how isn't it a important factor? Losing so much straight line speed even compared to his team mate, which run around the same downforce with an identical package.

He had a gearbox prob?i thought it wuz the ruddy filler cap..anyways Adrian Newey got the cars aerodynamics sorted out well...Webber was faster than many drivers..even o.t. Fisichella at turn 1...not to mention his rise to 7th from 22nd...
Im not a great technical person in F1,but i do know that even the slightest bit of carbonfibre body work sticking out in the wrong direction can cause havoc with the balance of the car..esp at high speeds..so they oughtta take it seriously

bizadfar
bizadfar

ds.raikkonen wrote:He had a gearbox prob?i thought it wuz the ruddy filler cap..anyways Adrian Newey got the cars aerodynamics sorted out well...Webber was faster than many drivers..even o.t. Fisichella at turn 1...not to mention his rise to 7th from 22nd...
Im not a great technical person in F1,but i do know that even the slightest bit of carbonfibre body work sticking out in the wrong direction can cause havoc with the balance of the car..esp at high speeds..so they oughtta take it seriously
Yes what made him retire eventually was gearbox.
Ret 15 Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 41 Gearbox 8
http://www.formula1.com/archive/grandprix/2007/772.html

Tom, look how much speed he was losing to his team mate. Looked pretty damn important if you want to get good results. It's almost like a Ferrari overtaking a Minardi in a straight line lol.
It will be solved by Spain i hope.

I want to see Newey put some Viking horns on the car, looks hot! lol.

zac510
zac510