The future of Aerodynamics in Formula One

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I think the real problem is that each team spends an insane part of it's budget on aero work. Heck, most teams have two wind tunnels going 24/7. I would not be surprised if the aero costs outweighted the engine development costs.
So Max may have a good idea in trying to reduce the aero requirements and thus, budget costs for each team. But as usual, his execution leaves a lot to be desired.

dumrick
dumrick

zac510 wrote:kurtiejjj, what about the formula:
less fans = less sponsor money = less wind tunnel time, team cost savings!
:D
I actually think you're right. Cost savings will be done when budgets shrink. If a team has a pool of sponsors willing to give them $400m, will they turn them down saying "Nah, we have plenty, thanks..."????

And for budgets to shrink, only two options: worldwide economical crisis or drop of viewer's interest. First one comes in cycles. Concerning the second one, I deeply believe Max's working on it.

Ciro Pabón

I repeat (as I do in all aerodynamic discussions) that I don't know duck about it, so the probability of saying something really stupid is high. Anyway, the future of aerodynamics in Formula One is the future of moderation, unless I'm missing something and in a huge way.

Let's start by the "critics" that say that the sport isn't interesting enough.

I'll try to stick to what I know, so I cannot say how interesting is GP2: all I know (and I'm not sure) is that they provide lateral acceleration of 3.2 G, uses slick tyres, have 4 liter V8 engines and can accelerate at 1.3 G. This sounds very much as an F1 car: slightly below specs, trying to reach a more cheap compromise, for example by using larger engines at lower rpms, engines that can take 4.000 km. CART has also the same idea: you try to reach approximately the same speeds and cornering abilities by changing something, something not that expensive. Either you throw in slicks (but take away power steering) or turbo (but take away unlimited vacuum). CART is a remarkable car in that sense: for 200.000 euros (or less) you're down a few seconds per lap, compared with 100.000.000 euros cars.

Now, we must understand that the cornering abilities of an F1 car are UNSURPASSED. I do know (I've calculated it, roughly) that at 100 kph an F1 car can take curves at 2.0 G (lateral), which I assume is pure (well, most) mechanical grip. You can compare that with a Ferrari Enzo, able to take curves at 1.2 G!

Now, at 200 kph, I find that, at Suzuka, the esses (curves 3 and 4) were taken at 4.0 G. Wow.

Not to mention 6.0 G at Suzuka 130R, probably the highest lateral acceleration in motorsport; I dare to say even in aerial combat... a SU-37, the cream of the cream in aerial dogfight develops 9.0 G, but as the airplane is tilted, they are not lateral, but vertical.

Modern circuits are "worse" (or better, I don't know). At Turkey, things have been exaggerated beyond everything. The famous turn 8, a curve with 4 apexes, gives you 5.0 G's for seven or eight seconds or my calculator has to be killed by some merciful soul! At 270 kph! With 4 corners in one! Do I have to put more exclamation marks?! :)

Now, do you complain of not enough ground effect, my dear and deviated friends? How fun is Turn 8? Do you realize what the driver is going through, while you yawn in front of your TV?

Would it be funnier if the car gave you more GE? I don't think so. I believe no one would notice... except Juan Montoya, who alleges he can do 300 reps of 50 pounds with his neck.

Secondly, if we want to talk about the future, let's look at the past:

Lotus 72

Do you notice ANYTHING essentially different? Yes, I know you will, but I mean in essence. We have been developing the same idea incrementally for 35 years! Do you need more exclamation marks? I don't think so... Either you agree that the development is as good as it gets (read againg the G-forces part :)) or you start to long for extreme measures, tested and discarded:

MP4-5B diffuser

"It seems that... if the total downforce was reduced, far from making it easier for cars to follow each other, things actually got worse, causing an adverse effect on the following car." I'm not sure, you tell me.

"Gaining the technical edge can make the difference between a run-of-the-mill contender and pace-setter at the front of the field. Aerodynamics has been the turning point in the design of modern F1 machines, and this keeps the designers busy for 12 months-a-year with constant developments."

So, I say, even if you keep downforce constant (a sane option, if you ask me) wind tunnels are there to stay. Ferrari proved that when designed his current car, with a slimmer waist, for less drag and same downforce.
Ciro

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Hello Ciro,
Ciro Pabón wrote:I repeat (as I do in all aerodynamic discussions) that I don't know duck about it, so the probability of saying something really stupid is high. Anyway, the future of aerodynamics in Formula One is the future of moderation, unless I'm missing something and in a huge way.
No problem at all, i myself never speak with 100% knowledge..that's actually quite hard not to express yourself even when you don't master the subject (i think this applies to 99% humans, don't you think?the 1% representing maybe some super monks)

Let's start by the "critics" that say that the sport isn't interesting enough.

I'll try to stick to what I know, so I cannot say how interesting is GP2: all I know (and I'm not sure) is that they provide lateral acceleration of 3.2 G, uses slick tyres, have 4 liter V8 engines and can accelerate at 1.3 G. This sounds very much as an F1 car: slightly below specs, trying to reach a more cheap compromise, for example by using larger engines at lower rpms, engines that can take 4.000 km. CART has also the same idea: you try to reach approximately the same speeds and cornering abilities by changing something, something not that expensive. Either you throw in slicks (but take away power steering) or turbo (but take away unlimited vacuum). CART is a remarkable car in that sense: for 200.000 euros (or less) you're down a few seconds per lap, compared with 100.000.000 euros cars.

Now, we must understand that the cornering abilities of an F1 car are UNSURPASSED. I do know (I've calculated it, roughly) that at 100 kph an F1 car can take curves at 2.0 G (lateral), which I assume is pure (well, most) mechanical grip. You can compare that with a Ferrari Enzo, able to take curves at 1.2 G!
That is impressive yes, even more impressive if you know that the Enzo will take 1.2G because of downforce so at higher speeds (don't know the speeds, i think somewhere near 150mph).

This is a very important point in my argumentation i'll explain this just below.
Now, at 200 kph, I find that, at Suzuka, the esses (curves 3 and 4) were taken at 4.0 G. Wow.

Not to mention 6.0 G at Suzuka 130R, probably the highest lateral acceleration in motorsport; I dare to say even in aerial combat... a SU-37, the cream of the cream in aerial dogfight develops 9.0 G, but as the airplane is tilted, they are not lateral, but vertical.
Just off topic, and as i come from the planes (and more specificaly military planes) community, SU-37, totaly regardless of efficiency in combat, is, as we talk about aerodynamics (not to be confused with flight dynamics) is a not so superb aircraft.
The original SU-27 is by aerodynamics standard more efficient.
The Su-37 has very high lift coeficients but drags a lot, the features for what it is famous are in the domain of flight dynamics that is the control, the manoeuvrability provided to the pilot.
Turning performance (in rate of turn and turn radius), speed and range/endurance are in the field of aerodynamics (and thermodynamics if we include the engine)

Excuse for the OT, i'll stick back to suzuka. the 4g figure is impressive, i think the peak acceleration was in 2006, the cars ran so fast in corners, look they had 20km/h minus in max speed yet they were only 1 second (depending on the track, in tracks like monza 2 seconds) slower than 2004/5 cars!

This year, they have less mechanical grip but higher max speeds (5-9km/h depending on the circuit, montreal was 9km/h) yet they're slower of 1 seconds to last year.
Modern circuits are "worse" (or better, I don't know). At Turkey, things have been exaggerated beyond everything. The famous turn 8, a curve with 4 apexes, gives you 5.0 G's for seven or eight seconds or my calculator has to be killed by some merciful soul! At 270 kph! With 4 corners in one! Do I have to put more exclamation marks?! :)

Now, do you complain of not enough ground effect, my dear and deviated friends? How fun is Turn 8? Do you realize what the driver is going through, while you yawn in front of your TV?

Would it be funnier if the car gave you more GE? I don't think so. I believe no one would notice... except Juan Montoya, who alleges he can do 300 reps of 50 pounds with his neck.
I think this is here you misleaded (or i was not clear enough) my point.
My point is not that i like to see a driver going at 5g's (well that's impressive yes for sure..) my point is that i prefer seeing a guy a 3g in a tight corner.
Actually you know CART (especially this year) can also go the 6G's (an oval course was even dropped last year because they went above 6g's and started to have gray locks), what makes the F1 so fast is that they accelerate like hell (less since 2 years), and take corners that you and me won't take more than 50km/h with our regular car at 150km/h or even more.
Secondly, if we want to talk about the future, let's look at the past:

Lotus 72

Do you notice ANYTHING essentially different? Yes, I know you will, but I mean in essence. We have been developing the same idea incrementally for 35 years! Do you need more exclamation marks? I don't think so... Either you agree that the development is as good as it gets (read againg the G-forces part :)) or you start to long for extreme measures, tested and discarded:

MP4-5B diffuser
The question is not to have more downforce (in absolute amount).
While (and that's why i talked about drivers technics) F1 has already many fasinating facts, that unfortunately are not shown and explained on TV, it is true that overtaking is difficult.
It is not rare to see a car that has more speed that the car in front not being able to overtake it because it means losing too much grip.

F1 cars are at extreme performance, wich means achieve many small increments everywhere.
That's the story of the moto GP vs F1, someday when MS tried a MotoGP cycle, and Rossi tested a F1, they said "look! MS is 20 seconds from the record while rossi is just 1 seconds off the MS record!"
Those 1 seconds require sooooo fine driving , and when a team gain 1 second it is the result of hundred of little increments.
That means every thing you miss has a enormous impact on performance.

So usally in F1 just losin 5% or downforce following a car is horrible, you loose the balance, the tyres start to degradate abnormaly, you loose 0.2 seconds in a turn etc...

That's a problem i think because it really prevents driver that have , at a given time, the best driving line to benefit from it.

So my point was: I do not support GE for a matter of amount, i support GE for a matter of manner, that's the way the Downforce is produced.

In my post i said that with GE wings would be reduced in profile so that means wings would produce less downforce.

I seriously think we don't need more downforce, in the 2009 tech regulations the max downforce is fixed a 1,25 tons, that's fine..
1,25 with a car that weights 600 kg is largely sufficient!
But if that 1,25 tons can be achieve at 200km/h instead of 300km/h that would be great.
This would not be negative for the follower car, and as safety is concerned i think this would be okay too, because cars and devices are done to support absolute deceleration (40g average) so as long as you don't exceed certain speed at the contact point (this latter is important, we have to see if tracks allow that) the safety will be on same level than today.

Also i'm supportative of GE because GE don't burst like wings, when a wing takes off in the middle of a turn that's an horrible thing that happens, see the last year CART crash of the belgian driver, the rear wing took off the crash was at 250km/h,hopefully nothing serious happened to her.
"It seems that... if the total downforce was reduced, far from making it easier for cars to follow each other, things actually got worse, causing an adverse effect on the following car." I'm not sure, you tell me.

"Gaining the technical edge can make the difference between a run-of-the-mill contender and pace-setter at the front of the field. Aerodynamics has been the turning point in the design of modern F1 machines, and this keeps the designers busy for 12 months-a-year with constant developments."

So, I say, even if you keep downforce constant (a sane option, if you ask me) wind tunnels are there to stay. Ferrari proved that when designed his current car, with a slimmer waist, for less drag and same downforce.
A F1 can be with less downforce, this stays a mobile object rubbing the ground, moving in the air so as thoses two factors are the main ones, yes it will still be the case and i'm not quite sure max mosley is right on saying that by cutting aeros they will lower their Aero R.D budget.

I think this lies in the nature of F1: Competitivity to the extreme.

Ciro Pabón

Thanx, Ogami Musashi, and welcome!

Only a couple of things:

First, I mentioned SU-37 because it must be one of the most agile fighters (vectored thrusting, front canard). Probably americans had taken care of that... but I know it has several records and has brought some pride to the russian developers. Allegedly, Mikhail Simonov challenged the Americans at Fairnborough, in 1996 (?) to a dogfight over the Atlantic... :) I know the F-22 can do 9.5 g's, but it's a completely new aircraft and a different computer on board, and even that's marginal. X-31 initiator, Wolfgang Herbst, talks about "controllability up to 60° to 70° Angle-of-Attack with transients of 120° or more", something I find remarkable. Which brings me to...

Secondly, GE can fail and has failed. It not only depends on angle of attack but on ground clearance. I won't delve into that subject again, but the more I read, the more I think I agree with you in one thing: it's very important to have a super-stable car, aerodinamically speaking.

I quote myself: "I think it means that the shape of car has to be stable when it turns (even spinning) or it raises its nose (even bumping into something) or it loses an aerodynamic element (was that what happened to Kubica?" viewtopic.php?t=4375&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=22

That (if I may add, noble) goal could keep busy F1 aerodynamic designers for 10 years.

Besides, a limit in downforce, as you explain, would make F1 excellent engineers work toward a car with less drag.

Well, I hope that's good Bushido, Mr. Musashi... ;)
Ciro

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

Thanks for the welcome.

Actually the SU-27 is definitively a great aerodynamic achievement, with a L/D ratio completly incredible for a plane of this size and weight (11.8 in cruise at 900km/h wich is quite high for a fighter plane).

But as you said the F-22 is new and i can tell you this plane is just pure hell in term of both aero and flight control, but and i think this is interesting to note, the F-22 is a pure vortex lift plane.
The kind of vortex lift used in this plane is called "Cascade vortices lift", vortices are created at the nose to energize the vortex created at the strakes (just above the inlets) wich are there themselves to energize the vortex created by the root extension..as a result the plane have incredible Pressure coefficients all the way down the aft part of the plane wich is quite an achievement, but well let's stick to the ground=>

You're absolutely right, it is supra important to have a stable balance and even GE can fail.
However i think that with today rules on suspensions (and why not putting active suspension back? in a form that would maintain a certain ride height) it could be possible to prevent for stalls on the bottom.

Already today ride height is very important, a minimal increase just kill the downforce, however what has to be here is to prevent stalls.
I'm pretty sure we can do it.

I think today, around 250km/h the front wing produces alone 400 kg of downforce so it means the rear is at 800kg, that's frightenning to think about what happens when one breaks...

Anyway, what do you think? should we go for less aero (i mean less downforce)? how would you see the future of F1?

Less drag is cool, i personnaly don't like the power for speed approach in plane and do prefer fine , high L/D planes, same applies to F1 but more relatively.
When williams tested the FW07D in 1987 six wheeler (to be banned even before running) they attained 13 of L/D now that's quite high!
And there was not only great aeros, but great mechanical grip with this beauty...
I read it ran a track setting a record 8 seconds ahead the previous, and the record was broken only in 1998!

See you.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Sorry for the off topic question, but I don't think it deserves a separate thread.

I need to simulate the 2007 cars behavior in my PC-sim and I got some (proven) 2005 physical models to start with.

So I'm interested in most essential aero changes since 2005.

- Front Wing (drag/downforce)
- Rear Wing (drag/downforce)
- Body (drag/downforce)
- Diffuser (drag/downforce)
- Radiators (drag)

any estimates as well as side notes are very welcome.

miqi23
miqi23

By physical do you mean CAD or is it something else? If it is CAD put up some pictures, and the changes can be seen in the rule book... They are all there.

Since you are simulating them, the changes you make to your model will show you the differences..

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Really tough call on this one!!

First of all, I'd say the premise of F1 pioneering new technologies for the passenger sector is almost entirely BS. Be it energy recovery or tires or what have you. Completely different set of operating parameters and goals. In one, you are blowing every dollar (fine, Euro 8) ) you can to squeeze every drop of performance out to make some stupid fast fuel guzzling car that needs complete replacement of major systems, pretty often. In another, you're sacrificing performance and agility and all this other stuff to have a fuel efficient inexpensive, mass producible car.

And keeping costs down? Bull. Just because engine or aero development is halted, teams will spend the extra $50 million testing the dampers to the n-th degree to get the extra -.010 lap out of them.

I've had the opportunity to design and build 3 small formula cars, and really love tryinig to push the limits of technology, do new trick things, etc. I love the sound of a 19k rpm engine at redline and drool at the thought of 5g's lateral acceleration controlled by a TCS.

At the same time, I love the eaaarly 70s F1 cars. The aggressive growl (not quite scream) of a 12k rpm engine, with basic suspension and limited aero and while super high performance, a huge emphasis on mechanical grip and driver ability. So I don't know if I like pushing the envelope more, or going more "throwback" with lower RPM, limited aero cars.

What I do know is that I love options and diversity. I don't think many of us here are into the whole "spec series" idea. Let the teams do some different stuff. Maybe have the option of running a 2.8L 19k rpm NA gasoline engine, a 1.4L 19k rpm turbo gasoline engine, or 1.6L 12k rpm biofuel engine (or whatever). See what they come up with.

Maybe give some options with regard to aero and tires. Say if the wings have real low downforce coefficients, you get to run slightly wider tires. Trade some aero for mechanical grip for a same "overall" level and see how that effects strategy and where overtaking takes place.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

West
West

I remember reading a Subaru WRC engineer (Racecar Engineering) saying aero development in racing is worthless technology to transfer to passenger cars. I'd have to agree with this, alongside Jersey Tom's comments.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

modbaraban
modbaraban

miqi23 wrote:By physical do you mean CAD or is it something else? If it is CAD put up some pictures, and the changes can be seen in the rule book... They are all there.

Since you are simulating them, the changes you make to your model will show you the differences..
No, no CAD involved, it's just a bunch of (mostly relative) figures in a text file for different parameters of objects such a listed above and some more...

so any estimates? (I often hear things like the new rules made the downforce decrease by 15% etc.)

Ogami musashi
Ogami musashi

I do completely agree with Jersey Tom, diversity would be cool, and engineering in its overall form should be promoted.

The cars from 89 and from 99 had similar lap times!

Modbarban:I have no data, what are the variables you feed into your physical model file?

flynfrog

I say make the rules like solar car racing. car must fit in a box basic saftey allow x gallons of fuel for race now you open up the options for any engine rules can be modified for other fuels ect. As far as wings this is where the box comes in or maybe a diamond shape.

We need options

modbaraban
modbaraban

Ogami musashi wrote:Modbarban:I have no data, what are the variables you feed into your physical model file?
modbaraban wrote:So I'm interested in most essential aero changes since 2005.

- Front Wing (drag/downforce)
- Rear Wing (drag/downforce)
- Body (drag/downforce)
- Diffuser (drag/downforce)
- Radiators (drag)

any estimates as well as side notes are very welcome.
These are the most essential.

BreezyRacer
BreezyRacer

Back to the original question of aero being regulated out of F1 .. IMO the more restrictions there are the more urgent aero testing and tuning will become.

Anytime you're trying to move a body thru the air at 200 mph even small aero changes are way to important to ignore.

In a related note it will be interesting to see how much effort the customers of chassis makers spend on aero next year when they can buy an F1 chassis instead of designing and building their own like they have to do now.

My thinking is that those customers will be on a pretty aggressive aero development package of their own, independant of the chassis maker they use.