Canadian GP 2007

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
m3_lover

One thing that bothered me during the race was that Davidson braked hard and went into the pits..I couldnt figure out why he did it until now

"It is such a shame about the beaver. It had it in for me for sure! I was running in third place at the time, behind the safety car. I was on a clear, one stop strategy and it damaged the front wing. I couldn't even see it at high speed and I could not understand why suddenly I locked up the front tyres and so I had to come in to the pitlane. The guys were taken by surprise in the garage when I came in, but they were really on it with the race strategy after that, telling me to overtake the safety car to get my lap back and it was a really enjoyable race at the end.
Simon: Nils? You can close in now. Nils?
John McClane: [on the guard's phone] Attention! Attention! Nils is dead! I repeat, Nils is dead, ----head. So's his pal, and those four guys from the East German All-Stars, your boys at the bank? They're gonna be a little late.
Simon: [on the phone] John... in the back of the truck you're driving, there's $13 billon dollars worth in gold bullion. I wonder would a deal be out of the question?
John McClane: [on the phone] Yeah, I got a deal for you. Come out from that rock you're hiding under, and I'll drive this truck up your ass.

manchild
manchild

Venom wrote:manchild, from which car (or year) is that photo? Looks pretty "old" to me.

Well, they should make that lower "leg area" more safe. I'm positively sure that FIA can gather all information regarding those crashes and use that information to attempt and make that area more secure.

By looking at that photo above, there are too many pointy bits inside that cockpit area that are bloody dangerous and scary.

I hope Kubica recovers well and I think FIA should be sued because that wall where Kubica had main impact was nearly 90 degress to the direction of cars... = direct hit

FIA should be highly fined and criticised for this carelessnes ... although unfortunately it won't get Kubica back in the car any sooner :(
It's from Renault R202 so it is not old at all since there's no difference between basic construction relative to 2007 cars.

Talking about scary cockpit. Take a look at Senna's Williams:

FLC
FLC

[IMG:726:398]http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/2102/kubicanf3.jpg[/img]

Need you say more?

vyselegend

yzfr7 wrote:Yeah, he touched the toyota, but I was really scared by the car stopped at the gravel (a Toro Rosso I guess). If I saw right, the first thing Kubica touched was this car, where he lost the right-front wheel. Of course it is easy to say now, but maybe it was an error from the marshals to left the car there. And also they should make a tire barrier at the local for next years, now that there is proof a big shunt can occur there.
True. I think no one spotted it because the lack of tyre barriers there was the main concern, but you're right, there was a Torro Rosso lying there and he have hit it. It only give more evidence of the general safety level of the track...

Also in a precedent post I was asking if the track had been resurfaced, remembering the track was crumbling to pieces at some part, and the answear is no, they just applied those white bandages things again... Gilles Villeneuve is a great track, but it must be raised to modern safety levels or in the end will follow the same way Imola did.

checkered

Some reports are

saying that Trulli pushed Robert from behind (not very hard), thus getting him onto grass ... but I really can't tell where it all started. The wildest reports are saying that he pulled as much as 80 G's at some point, though I don't know if that's survivable. The reports that he remembers the accident happening before passing out speak against experiencing such extreme forces.

I do hope that Kubica makes a swift recovery, it's clear that after something like that happens, there are all sorts of aches and pains for days and a need for medical supervision as every part of the body has to be inspected on a different level than what trauma docs initially do. I visited the BMW Sauber website to see whether there would be a "get well soon" message possibility set up, but couldn't spot it immediately.

Maybe there's one in the fan club section.

Edit: Maybe there's not much incentive to improve the track as Bernie really wouldn't want to have any fewer races in NA. But I agree, as great a track as Montreal has, it's got to be made safer - without destroying the character.
Last edited by checkered on 11 Jun 2007, 01:52, edited 3 times in total.

modbaraban
modbaraban

You already mentioned the tireswalls, the STR car that was parked in the dangerous area and flamed the organizers a bit b'cos of that... but there a VERY important point that wasn't mentioned and MUST have been mentioned in the first place (sorry if I missed that somehow):

WHY ON EARTH THE KUBICA'S CAR WENT AIRBORNE BEFORE IN HIT ANYTHING???

...and that reminded me of Senna's crash. Any lessons? The curb is launching the car in the air and into the damn wall and that is called safety? he wasn't driving since he left the asphalt... he was a passenger :roll:

PS: what's the point in run-off areas if cars fly over them?

vyselegend

At high speed (like here), any little bump can make the car airborne and we can expect the grass to be bumpy so it should be rationaly explainable. I don't see anything on the ground on the video, so I don't see any other explaination. (maybe a beaver) :P

I don't know if it has been mentioned here, but on autosport there's a report Robert is unhurt (no broken leg) and should get out of hospital monday!

That's good news!

modbaraban
modbaraban

I don't think that the grass could launch the car THAT high with all 4 wheels off the ground by aroud a meter. That's just sick. If he'd stay on the ground there wouldn't have been anything but a crash... JUST a crash after going sideways on the grass but without that huge direct impact at the wall at high speed.

PS: any chance to see the onboard cam?

vyselegend

Yes, but don't forget also that when a car is slightly pushed upward at high speed, air goes between the car and the track and push the floor up(remember Webber's Mercedes at Le Mans?)

modbaraban
modbaraban

what about the huge amount of downforce (despite the low DF setup)?

There must have been a curb or something like that.

manchild
manchild

Am I the only one here thinking that engine&gearbox should have broken off and therefore reduce inertia of survival cell? I know it depends on impact but still, this was ultimate crash - directly into wall with at least 250 kph, perhaps even 300kph.

checkered

Seems like I got

it wrong, Kubica came from behind Trulli and clipped the Toyota's rear tyre - so Jarno is evidently not to blame:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59662

Robert got out lightly, hopefully:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59663

Ray

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: HAHAHAHAHAHA! The doctor who treated Robert is none other than Ron Denis.

Sorry. Found that really funny for some reason. Hope he gets well soon!

pRo

Finally a lucky day for Heikki after all the issues he has gone through! :D

Did Alonso lose a gear at the end though? At first he seemed clearly faster than the Ferrari and was looking to overtake...and suddenly Kimi starts to pull away and Alonso seems VERY slow when accelerating from a slow corner, but fine elsewhere. I'm surprised Ralf didn't overtake him as well, but then again, he's Ralf.. :roll:
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

jddh1

FLC wrote:[IMG:726:398]http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/2102/kubicanf3.jpg[/img]

Need you say more?
And he's quite a tall fella, so his feet go all the way up to the front. is his ankle bent in the wrong direction there? it seems pretty normal.