Trouble at Toro-Rosso

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
FLC
FLC

Trouble at Toro-Rosso

Scot Speed hits back at team bosses:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61125

Sounds pretty honest to me, but you never know, as he prob. knows he's out of there already. The story about Tost jerking him around is pretty amazing.
I never thought Speed was all that of a driver. In Comparison, Tonio Liuzzi strikes me as very talented, but somehow not serious enough.

ginsu
ginsu

Wow! That's quite a story. I believe Scott, I believe everything he said, he has no reasons to lie. I don't think a driver has any reason to make up a story like that, especially since it would effect his career in a negative way.

Can't believe Tost would fly out of control like that. I mean that corner collected like six cars in under a minute. Obviously, it wasn't Speed's fault.
I love to love Senna.

vyselegend

Impressive stuff. It's very delicate to step in and make comments because we don't know what really happened, but Scott Speed sounds very sincere. Furthermore, those declarations can't help him by any means, so there's absolutely no reasons he would say that if it wasn't true.

When Speed came in F1, I was very sceptical, he had a fitting name but no obvious skills. I think he endured very much critisism during the whole 2006 season, mostly because Liuzi is one hell of a driver, and so he was a little bit overshadowed by him.
But, as some of you already remarked since Berger is seducing Bourdais, Scott have raised his game, and although he rarely finished the races due to poor reliability from the car, while he was on track he started to impress me. He said himself in a recent interview that backing (mentally speaking) from the pressure helped him to achieve better results.
But, too bad, Berger's mind is set since a good deal of time now, he want stars in his team, Bourdais and the baby-face Vettel, the last one being strangely over-rated since he got a point with a car worth 4 points easy.
I'm not going to bash the poor german, who did well, but I don't think he achieved much more than Scott.

Last time I checked, the american has a title in british F3 (2002 or 2003), and a tiltle in european Formule Renault. He also finished a honorable 3rd in 2005 GP2.
Vettel, on his side, have a karting title and a BMW formula title.

Why is Vettel percieved by the medias as a great driver then?
Anyway that's not the point, the topic is on Speed and Torro Rosso. All I hope now is that Matezshitz (sp?) will kick Franck Tost's ass and tell him to behave in a more adult manner, while Speed and Liuzzi should knock on David Richard's door ASAP, to negociate a seat in 2008.

The better vengeance for them would then be to beat STR's stars couple driving for Prodrive, don't you think?

Militia Est Vita

I feel really sorry for Speed, specially because such conduct goes again all sporting codes out there and no driver or athlete of any kind deserves to be treated in that way.
If all that speed said it's true, (which I also think it is) I don't think Toro Roso deserves a driver like Bourdais in the future.
Anybody knows if there are any penalties for such agressive actions as Tost's? The FIA hasstarted investigations for all the Mclaren-Ferrari spy saga as well as with the movable floors. But I wonder if the governing body can get involved in this or they are there just to regulate technology related stuff? IMO Tost should be severly sanctioned after all this stuff.
Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy --- we don't need. - Tyler Durden - Fight Club.

modbaraban
modbaraban

I remember when Speed came to F1 he was criticised for 'speaking his mind' :)

waynes
waynes

i actually like Scott Speed, seems to have upped his game only for the car to break down

Tom

I've never been a fan of Speed, from the first interview he struck me as an arrogant twat who's in F1 because of his name, so I can't deny I'm prejudice in saying he's throwing a tantrum because he's losing his job. The interview I read had suggested that when Tost confronted him about his poor show Scott retaliated with a smug remark. You just don't do that to your boss if you want to keep your job, kick the baby out.

Tost said that he had barely tapped Scott, whereas Scott says:
"He grabbed me from the front of my shirt, jerked me around, ripping a little bit my fire suit, and pushed me against the wall."
before
"Immediately after that situation, as you can imagine I was furious. I walked to the pit wall and wanted to inform everyone that this happened. So I looked at my team manager, the technical director, and Gerhard Berger, and told them that if my team chief ever touches me again, I'm going to knock him out."
Do you really believe Tost could have ripped a nomex shirt? I don't, although I admit I know little about the material. But then after bitching and whining about his assault he trys to beef himself up with my favorite lardy arse football fan/all round c*ck comeback,
I'm going to knock him out.
I love that, so many people have said that to me and I really can't help but laugh. Who's really out of order here?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

modbaraban
modbaraban

Toro Rosso officially disproved the talks about Speed's replacement for Hungarian GP.

KIMI the best
KIMI the best

I was really surprised when I heard about this problem at Toro Rosso, but Scott Speed can't say anything because he is not giving good results and also he nows he is in F1 only because Red Bull's comercial interest in USA. He does not deserves to be at F1, his seat at Toro Rosso should be for Sebastien Bourdais, he really is a great driver.

checkered

Speed never was in

an enviable position (apart from being a Formula One driver) and neither is his team currently (apart from being a Formula One team). Being from the US, Scott needed to make a big impression to garner any interest in his home market and he clearly hasn't had a very good chance of doing so. And rather than RBR and STR jointly developing a common racecar, it turned out to be more of a case of Toro Rosso assembling their car from hand-me-downs ... and with RBR's reliability record pretty poor thus far, it would've been amazing if they did any better with what they got.

So everyone involved might've been lacking direction and without a clear rationale for their actions. Worse still, RBR's close co-operation with Renault could render the team redundant for Red Bull's overall F1 strategy. There was some speculation that ART might be buying STR as a kind of a junior Ferrari team (with Nicholas Todt's connections) with a new set of priorities and a new set of team managers and drivers both. That's a situation potentially rife with tension, frustration and conflict for the people who barely got to try and realise their ambitions. Nothing that would justify a physical attack of any sort, though, I much favour people speaking their minds in that sorta situation, but something that anyone being faced with a range of poor and worse choices at any one time of their life can certainly relate to. F1 life is just life too, after all.

So it might be the hour of the "three Sebs" in F1 sooner than we thought. (Sebastien Bourdais, Sebastian Vettel and the latest one, the 18 year old Swiss Sebastien Buemi who drove his super licence at Jerez just now to become an RBR "spare" driver.) And as much as I've waited for Bourdais especially to have a go in Formula One, I'd hate to see either Speed or Liuzzi sent packing to accommodate that. Well, curiously enough, Vitantonio drove a faster lap, at least, than Badoer with a Ferrari at Mugello ...

Ciro Pabón

I have followed closely Scott Speed's career, if only because I like the odd people.

He has several statistics that have impressed me. In 2006, right until I posted here a long post about engine usage, he was the driver that used less engines AND extracted more kilometers per engine, way better than anyone, on a car that you could only classify as crappy.

This speaks volumes to me about his smoothness as a driver, something I regard highly, but I'm a guy that loves cars as much as chocolate, if you follow my drift. I'm the kind of person that reserves judgement about drivers until he has a chance to dissasemble engines and clutches and check the tires AFTER the race. You know the motto: love the machine, she will love you eventually.

I have the impression that britons and americans provoke in each other the idea of arrogancy. I'd like to think is the accent.

When you learn to speak both "britonese" and "americanese" you find them to be excellent chaps and wonderful guys, except when drinking beer. Yeah. Indeed. Maybe it's because I can relate with a gringo born in Manteca, California. Totally.

I like to think of him as the guy that catched my eye in the Barber Saab series, with a honest face.

I like to think of him as the guy that blew the Formula Renault and Formula 3000 guys in Germany and France, sort of Lance Armstrong without the drug allegations.

I like to think of him as the guy that earned a point in his third race to be, perhaps unjustly, robbed of it by David Coulthard or the stewards, I don't know. Mr. Coulthard had a congestion (same as Tom :)) with the f-word Scott Speed pronounced after the race, a word used so widely in the American subcontinent. It is the same congestion any briton would have about it... before living in Harlem or San Diego for a while. Speed would return the favor at the French GP, where I guess nobody, but his secret fans, noticed he ran with a back pain from his accident and contained Mr. Coulthard for the race... a thing easier said than done, as David knows his office.

He is the same guy that was taken out of the Indy GP, where he had qualified 13th for the first time in his F1 career. Of course, it was JPM (sorry, Mr. Speed, Colombia sent a madman to compete... we don't have any other kind of drivers). To his chagrin, Liuzzi used the high attrition rate usual at Indy (... men, some european drivers have problems with sustained high speed. Sorry, sorry, the devil made me said that... ;)) to finish eight, a first for STR.

He lives in Austria. As his other "record", that is, to be the first american in F1 since Andretti, back in 1993 (that's 13 years, you, UE people), he is probably also the first american to live in Fuschl am See since the Second World War. :)

This year has been his "year of the cat": seven retirements don't look good. He is a guy I would support in any other series. In F1, it hurts to see him compete, and not because of lack of abilities, let me tell you.

It's not OK to hate an employee, like Mr. Tost apparently does. I only hope for Mr. Speed to get a good drive in Europe. That'll teach some people something.
Ciro

KIMI the best
KIMI the best

Well, Scott is a good driver but he is not so good to be at F1, there are better drivers waiting for a seat like Sebastien Bourdais, Sebastien Vettel, Bruno Senna etc... About that he take care about engines (Scott) well yeah but what it is for to be always behind Tonio so.

trinlico
trinlico

Is it just me that wishes there was more of these kind of things in F1 - a bit of a personality clash? It's all well and good to hark back to the old days with overtaking and more powerful engines. But they also had some tussles and people giving their mind and not just bland, soulless PR press releases pretending to be the drivers saying the team is working hard and testing parts.

KIMI the best
KIMI the best

Militia Est Vita wrote:I feel really sorry for Speed, specially because such conduct goes again all sporting codes out there and no driver or athlete of any kind deserves to be treated in that way.
If all that speed said it's true, (which I also think it is) I don't think Toro Roso deserves a driver like Bourdais in the future.
Anybody knows if there are any penalties for such agressive actions as Tost's? The FIA hasstarted investigations for all the Mclaren-Ferrari spy saga as well as with the movable floors. But I wonder if the governing body can get involved in this or they are there just to regulate technology related stuff? IMO Tost should be severly sanctioned after all this stuff.
Hola, vi que tu location es México y me sorprendio porque yo también soy mexicano y se me hizo muy raro encontrar a otro en esto de la F1 especialmente porque la F1 no es muy popular en México. Por favor contestame.

modbaraban
modbaraban

trinlico wrote:Is it just me that wishes there was more of these kind of things in F1 - a bit of a personality....
I took this one out of context on purpose.

It'd be a shame to lose Speed.

@ KIMI the best - he isn't 'always behind Tonio', not this year at least.