Nose cone idea

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
SoundMan
SoundMan

Re: Nose cone idea

wesley123 wrote: I have one it was originally ment for a game but it is complete to 2008 rules and has modern aerodynamics, i can send you it but in what file extension do you need it?
.stl file would be great for me! but remember an STL file will only be of use if it has all positive dimensions. Therefore the AutoCAD solid should be constructed in the positive axes and kept there for export (also the STL file must be written in ASCII format with line breaks).
many thanks for your efforts.

wesley123
wesley123

Any solid model will work, but if I could have it my way, Parasolid or ACIS (sat) files would be best. They seem to be the most robust for solid modeling. Most gaming models I've seen have been in funky formats, though.

Which formats can you export?
I Can only export in .3ds files and i don't even know if it will work because i use zmodeler 1 and it has alot of bugs. but i don't know if you can import it in that extension, or if someone else can, but if someone can let me know.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

tomislavp4

I can open the 3ds file with rhino at school, than save it in the rhino format, go home and open it with solidworks and save it again in some of the formats SW exports in. I think it would work :roll:

wesley123
wesley123

I can open the 3ds file with rhino at school, than save it in the rhino format, go home and open it with solidworks and save it again in some of the formats SW exports in. I think it would work
What is your e-mail? And can you run a CFD test with that new nose and without, and please can you also send the teststats to me, maybe i can add this to my car if it works.

tomislavp4

I don´t have the resources to run CFD test :oops:

I´m here to help you guys import the file in slimjim8201´s CFD program, because you said you can only export in 3ds and I don´t think he can import that extension. So I can change the file type to suit him :)

wesley123
wesley123

OK What is your e-mail so i can send it to you.

manchild
manchild

While we wait for come CFD, here's something very similar to second idea - Amon AF-101 from 1974

tomislavp4

Sorry guys but, unfortunatly, I wasn´t able to export the file from Rhino :?

Here´s what happened: I oppened the file and saved it in rhino´s format (3dm) and then tried to export in STEP (as I usually do) and it said that it can´t export meshes. Then I tried IGES and same thing happened, I use these 2 formats when importing to SW from Rhino and they work for me but I´ve never exported a mesh before :|

I, then tried to export in every god damn format Rhino can export in and got the same message untill I went for the DWG #-o So I have the file in 3dm and DWG, If you can work with some of those 2....

I´m sorry once again :oops:

Conceptual
Conceptual

tomislavp4 wrote:Sorry guys but, unfortunatly, I wasn´t able to export the file from Rhino :?

Here´s what happened: I oppened the file and saved it in rhino´s format (3dm) and then tried to export in STEP (as I usually do) and it said that it can´t export meshes. Then I tried IGES and same thing happened, I use these 2 formats when importing to SW from Rhino and they work for me but I´ve never exported a mesh before :|

I, then tried to export in every god damn format Rhino can export in and got the same message untill I went for the DWG #-o So I have the file in 3dm and DWG, If you can work with some of those 2....

I´m sorry once again :oops:

Can I get a copy of the .dwg emailed to me?

cknopp@gmail.com

THANKS!

EDIT: Got the .dwg file, and wow does it kick my machines butt!! AMD 64 X2 5200 and 2GB RAM, and it is SLOW.............

Thanks again, now I may be able to play around with some other ideas!

Chris

slimjim8201

I'd love to takea a look at the DWG file.

email: james.neville@cfdesign.com

Thanks!
James

wesley123
wesley123

I allready sent it to soundman, he could import allmost every file and can run a cfd test.

slimjim8201

Thank you for the file, but as I expected, the model is "video game ready" and not so much "simulation ready".

I haven't had much time this week to run simulations on my other CAD models.

SoundMan
SoundMan

wesley123 wrote:I already sent it to soundman, he could import almost every file and can run a cfd test.
yes, thank you for the model.

opening and editing the file is not an issue at all.

have isolated the front wing and nose section and imported it for analysis, haven’t got round to running it yet however. i'm still learning this subject so i'm worried that any simulations i run will be irrelevant. Still, i will give it a go when i get time.

wesley123
wesley123

SoundMan wrote:
wesley123 wrote:I already sent it to soundman, he could import almost every file and can run a cfd test.
yes, thank you for the model.

opening and editing the file is not an issue at all.

have isolated the front wing and nose section and imported it for analysis, haven’t got round to running it yet however. i'm still learning this subject so i'm worried that any simulations i run will be irrelevant. Still, i will give it a go when i get time.
Maybe you can post a picture on how it's looking.

humble sabot

Conceptual wrote:Anyways,

Manchild, I was looking at your picture and thinking about what you are trying to do, and a VERY out-of-the-box idea came to me... I am working on the CAD drawing now, and when it is done, I'll post it here for one of the local CFD guys to run through.

Well, the jist of it is that while the slot through the nose is cool, I think you may have opened the door for something else.

Follow me on this, its hard to explain in type:

First: take a normal nose, and cut it horizontal to the ref plane about 60% of the length, then curve towards the top adding a nice downforce generating surface. Then slice the removed part longways....Then flip those two pieces outward 180 degrees and attach to the side of the already cut nose.

Second: Take BMW's new wings (the ones near the antennas), spin them around to sweep forward, and mount them right on the very front of the nose with the bent up tips protruding forward of the nosecone. The flat part of this wing would be made of the now flat nose, and extend side to side on the attached pieces.

Third: Now attach a bridge wing from endplate to endplate with midpoint connections to the swept forward nosewing flip-ups.

Fourth: Now include your pressure relief slot in the nose right AFTER the cutout made above and cut slots through into the TOP of your slot, because the diffusor effect as the lowered/flattened nose passes over/through (Gotta see my dwg to understand this) will actually EXTRACT the air up from below and just draw it away like a chimney.

I know that it is difficult to grasp what I am talking about, but I am working on the CAD file as we speak. Pretty busy this week, but I may have it done by Saturday!

PS: CFD guys, please PM me with an email and what format you need it exported to if you are interested in doing some analysis.

Thanks!

Chris
How's this idea coming along? I really am lost in your description. i have a feeling it is similar to my interpretation of the 'wing siphon' to coin a phrase.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance