Chekered long posts

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.

Chekered should...

Poll ended at 01 Nov 2007, 19:34

take lessons to improve summarizing
20%
continue writing long posts, I dont read them anyway!
35%
increase posts lenght, I love to read them!
45%

Total votes: 20

modbaraban
modbaraban

Yes, I think you're right.

(now seriously)
Ciro mentioned his 'gears'. There are also gears for reading I think. Sometimes I have 17.3 secs. to glance through the forum for latest news and pics, and probably shoot a quick reply. On such a gear it's quite difficult to get the point of long posts (like those of checkered) without reading em :) . But hey, sometimes I'm on a lower gear (say with a cup of tea) or even with limited slip diff. engaged (meals that is :lol: ), and that is the gear for enjoying such long posts, the meaningful ones...

so LET DIVERSITY RULE :mrgreen:

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Principessa wrote:I think this is a point-less discussion

I also believe that it's more interesting to read a descent long post than a short one that only says: "yes, I think you're right" or "Yes, I think so too".
I dont agree with it being point-less, as this thread discussion brings out an interesting idea that was possibly going through many forum members heads at one point or another. It's now out in the open and has been clarified by Checkered himself. And it just happens that Belatti is not very subtle in getting his ideas out to the rest of humanity sometimes, maybe a PM to the member being focused on would have been a better option, maybe. When I see or notice something about another member I have, for the most part, written them a PM in order to inform them.

To repeat a interesting thought once more, everyone is on a different "gear", some have hours to go through the web (F1T) and carefully analyze ideas and thoughts being posted or read every bit of news, while others, like me, sometimes have a few minutes or 60 seconds in between classes to skim through everthing. But I find no reason why as to ask a fellow member to cut back on the length of his posts, if you can't read the entire post, skip it or "skim" through it in order to get the main points, thats what they teach you in school some times.

Theres no need to argue or get into a "fight" over this, lets all try to keep our heads level and be nice to each other, this is F1T after all. I'm glad Checkered took it in strides and responded the way he did, the "Checkered long post" way.

No harm no foul......
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

MrT
MrT

Tom wrote: while some just haven't got a clue (Mr. T).
A little un called for I think Tom? You say I have no clue but without knowing any of my background! You may not agree with some of my thoughts and opinions, thats fine, but to say no clue I think is not called for.

I have followed f1 for over 13 years. I have completed a motorsport Engineering degree in which i got the highest average mark they have seen, have worked for motorsport companies including the 5 times hillclimb champions and have had f1 teams approach me asking me to work for them. I also have completed a masters in computer modelling in engineering (CFD) and now doing a PhD in the same area. Not only that but I compete myself in 2 single seaters and am a champion in the south west of the UK. Does this sound like someone without a clue who has nothing at all to offer to the forum? If so I apologise and shall leave.

Mr T

Tom

Sorry, I was actually reffering to Torso but I wasn't paying too much attention for the final sentance and I didn't realise how many users names started with T
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

MrT
MrT

oh ok.

Ciro Pabón

Cool, Mr. T.

I'm glad Tom mixed the user names, if only to know your (great!) background.

I can identify with mx_tifosi tempo. It's the story of my life...

There is something I find extremely useful about participating in ANY forum, besides learning english grammar:

- you learn to read, but you also learn to write about anything "in a page", in a way that "makes people think". If you don't, your posts get few answers or none.

- you learn to behave with some civility in a really mixed environment.

At least in my case, Principessa has not "tamed" me in ages, :) which surprises me. I imagine her own "tempo": I wish she could teach us more about how to write interesting and kind things, or better yet, as neutral as possible.

On the other hand, forums without conflicting IDEAS are boring or short lived. I wish for Belatti to become more "Manchildish"! We miss Manchild "stubborn style" and his "go for the throat" approach... even if some member come here to stir things around a little in a "classical latin american way". (Hey, way to go, Belatti, in the footsteps of JPM and Senna! :))

The fine line that divides the conflict of ideas from the conflicts among people is, well, as Tom and Mr. T short conversation shows clearly, many times a matter of how good you are to express yourself, how able are you to make the conversation "stirred and not shaken".

So, if some guest is reading this, I say to him: post, man (or woman). You may feel like a pariah some times in the beginning, but you will learn a lot and not only about F1. Who knows, you may have something to say before you die... :wink:
Ciro

modbaraban
modbaraban

mr. Tom wrote:Sorry, I was actually reffering to Torso but I wasn't paying too much attention for the final sentance and I didn't realise how many users names started with T
Like Tomba or even yourself. :)

PS: Perhaps we should have an 'introduce yourself' thread here. To find things like MrT wrote on regular basis. :idea:

Ciro Pabón

There is one, interrupted ages ago:

Maybe it's best to introduce ourselves

Scuderia_Russ provided us with a, more active, "official map" of members's locations here: Official F1 Technical Map
Ciro

Belatti
Belatti

Some facts:

1) I NEVER NEVER asked chekered to stop writing or even to make his posts shorter. Just my idea came because I really like his posts (I even voted option number 3, moderators won´t let me lie) but, as Ciro said, I´m hardly in 2nd gear to read all, and that is a bit frustrating.

So, what happens to me is the following: A) I began the reading B) someone or something interrupts me C) I came back to the computer BUT now I´ve lost the whole idea and has to begin again. That makes me abandon some reading.

As a Spanish speaking person, I also get lost sometimes in the middle of the post, loss the idea, maybe because of the use of some kind of slang I don´t know.

2) Again, as a Spanish speaking person, I have learnt a lot from his and other members posts.

3) No one is throwing bombs here and I think that the overall effect was positive, a lot of members supported Chekered. He should feel proud. Even more positive would be if this leads to a Introduce Ourselves Thread.

4) Just to answer our NAZI PARANOIA friend:
NumberTwo wrote: Perhaps Mr./Ms./Herr Belatti could take this oportunity to expand his/her reading comprehension skills rather than ask a very knowledgeable forum member to censor/edit himself.
I may even go so far as to proffer that Belatti may infact learn something from Checkered's posts should he/she decide to push him/her-self to read them through.
Read 1) and 2)
NumberTwo wrote: If nothing else, our dear Belatti could learn patience and acceptance of others who do not conform to his/her seemingly small view of the world. It is this writers opinion that the gaul, hubris and arrogance in Belatti's post is undeniably that of a person who has a limited quotient of intelect.
In fact, I´m a Mensa member since I was 20 (now I´m 25) with a totally big fat O in social skills (because that problem of going direct to what matters and the lack of diplomacy). This makes a lot of people doubt about my quality of person (Usually -and hopefully- until they really know me). Also sometimes I like to make some "social" -If you allow me the word- experiments to learn something and improve my null social skills. That is because I´m doomed to self-taught.
NumberTwo wrote: I now ask that Ciro devise a chart comparing valuable contributions to relavent discussion on this forum from Belatti and Checkered. Not only is this not fair you say? For who is to decide what is relavent and what is jibberish? That is my point. How can you, Herr Belatti, decide what the rest of us find insightful? With what authority do you consider yourself just in this idiotic request? Do you not realize the idiocy it showers you with?
(SIC) :?: :?: :?:

The "cretin" has left the building!
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Carlos
Carlos

Belatti - It's good to see you posting today, I enjoy both your posts and checkered's. Both of you give something unique to the Forum, new voices and new direction, passion, curiosity, knowledge and perspective.
Every member offers a something-something that makes the Forum a place I visit everyday, although like everyone, there's much to do even though I am semi-retired. I'm off for a little while and a small adventure. Keep a place at the table for me. :wink:

Good to see you back in the building :wink:

Ciro Pabón

Belatti wrote:
NumberTwo wrote: I now ask that Ciro devise a chart comparing valuable contributions to relavent discussion on this forum from Belatti and Checkered. Not only is this not fair you say? For who is to decide what is relavent and what is jibberish? That is my point. How can you, Herr Belatti, decide what the rest of us find insightful? With what authority do you consider yourself just in this idiotic request? Do you not realize the idiocy it showers you with?
(SIC) :?: :?: :?:

The "cretin" has left the building!
C'mon, Nacho, NumberTwo overstepped, in defense of Checkered, (it's not Herr Belatti, Number2: It must be "Don Ignacio" or "Mr. Loffreda"! You normally do better) but he's not any more cretin than you're an idiot. :) He talked about the idiocy of your request. He did not call you an idiot, an entirely different matter. The only idiot here is me (or so Principessa woud probably think) for meddling here.

For slang, check at Google (for example, write "slang definition" or "whatever word I don't get definition"), even if you probably know that. Just in case, if you put the words of the slang phrase between quotes and add the word definition at the end, you'll get a decent Webster or Free OnLine Dictionary definition.

And, yes, Checkered rules. Live with it. We even might start to root for Scotland if you don't agree... :)
Ciro

RH1300S
RH1300S

after reading checkered's eloquent reply - I have to vote for:

"increase posts lenght, I love to read them!"

If you have something to say, say it.............

modbaraban
modbaraban

Ciro Pabón wrote:...(or so Principessa woud probably think)...
Ciro, is it just me or you do mention this name in every other post for some reason? :lol:

back OT: Maybe there's any chance to count each post by checkered or any long post as two? Cos it's a bit embarassing to see my post count under the avatar when I realize it's quantity over quality unlike with some of you guys :oops: ...
...but then RH1300S wrote:If you have something to say, say it.............
:-# :-k :o

Belatti
Belatti

Ciro, I was calling myself a Cretin, not NumberTwo.
I would barely call that to a person I don´t know.

And I called myself like that because if he said so, it must be true.
I can deal easily with that, I know who I am.

Chekered rules and (sorry Tom) Pumas will crush Scotland and maybe with some luck South Africa then.
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

bhall
bhall

I really want the 10 minutes of my life back that I just spent reading this whole thing. The word "pointless" comes to mind over and over again.