Renault R28

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
axle
axle

Re: Renault R28

Indeed the nose looks very ungainly next to the competition...surely aerodynamics when cornering will be affected?

Same goes for the lack of wing at the back...it all seems a bit retro!? :shock: :?
- Axle

MrT
MrT

I just can't get over the pods! They drop away so fast..

Roland Ehnström

Sawtooth-spike wrote:Also anybody else noticed the outlet infront of the rewing, at the back of the engine cover?
Yes, what is that? :?:

Belatti
Belatti

HKS wrote:The livery doesn't at all suit the car :evil: #-o #-o
Second that.
Manchild wrote:Ugly livery makes it look ugly but in fact it is quite interesting car.
And that.
Renault ING livery is one of the most ugly liveries ever existed.
Can´t recall another car ugly like that!
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Roland Ehnström

Yes, the livery is horrible. Orange and yellow doesn't mix!!!

waynes
waynes

my god that nose is low!!! still hate the livery too

bar555
bar555

Tomba wrote
What strikes me about this car is the thickness of the nose. It kind of reminds me to the Arrows A21 by Agathangelou....

Good memory Tomba .
Future is like walking into past......

Blog : http://formula1techandart.wordpress.com/
Twitter :http://twitter.com/bar555onF1

manchild
manchild

Check how aggressive mirrors are relative to other teams

joseff

Now that the earth car is gone, THIS surely is the ugliest on the grid.

About the big outlet above the gearbox: it's also on the FW30.

Gecko
Gecko

In this image:

Check how the front wing and the nose almost touch. Just how exactly is the wing supposed to work in that part? The air has nowhere to go but around, surely creating excessive interference and making that part of the wing not really contributing to the downforce? The same geometry was true of the (unsuccessful) 2007 Renault front wings in the high downforce configuration at least, but not in the Renaults before that.

Carbon
Carbon

Interesting, ina time where a few teams are mounting mirrors on the sidepod, Reggie make an about face and mount mirrors in a more traditional manner. I wonder if it's for aero purposes, or to aid the driver more.

Nose/wing mounting is bizarre. Agreed with the person that referred to the design as old school, but it does have several cutting edge areas, most notably the sidepod design - SO Small!

And no front wheel fairing?

manchild
manchild

Old school? It is the first modern car with raised nose with no struts to carry front wing but one blade incorporated as wing carrier. Definitely best suspension geometry of all keel less cars so far (wishbones horizontal) + very low front end of chassis and nose meaning lower overall COG .

I agree that it looks as the mid section of rear blade is choked by nose BUT we have no idea how nose looks from below. What if only vertical sides and top are as it seams while in fact nose and chassis bottom are shaped as a diffuser? Ok, that would make it two-keel car than. I bet nose isn't flat at its bottom.

dedge
dedge

Thanks Manchild for your analysis, it is very interesting! I hope we will have a closer photo of the underside of the nose as soon as possible.
When I read your post, I was thinking : "maybe the Renault designers have read this topic!!!"

Has anyone noticed the little part that stiffen the bridge?
Everybody was convinced that McLaren's bridge was illegal because of it flexing capabilities, but maybe a flexing wing does not work?!

manchild
manchild

http://skreemr.com/link.jsp?id=605F4756575861

Black is black
I want old livery back
It's gay, it's gay
Since ING came your way, Ooh-Ooh
What can I do
'Cause I-I-I-I-I like it blue

If I had my way
It’d be back today
But you don't intend
To use it once again, Ooh-Ooh
What can I do

If I could choose
There’d be so much to lose
Your colors are wrong
ARGH! Maybe if we
would come somehow agree
Then it can't go wrong

It’s bad it’s bad
That I feel so sad
It's time, it's time
That I find a peace of mind, Ooh-Ooh
What can I do
Last edited by manchild on 21 Jan 2008, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.

Spencifer_Murphy

manchild wrote:What if only vertical sides and top are as it seams while in fact nose and chassis bottom are shaped as a diffuser? Ok, that would make it two-keel car than. I bet nose isn't flat at its bottom.

I agree manchild, I was thinking this myself, but I had no picture to justify my thoughts. I think though your picture above kinda confirms our suspisions. Have a look closely where the front wing passes under the nose - it appears that there is a notch, shaped a little bit like the letter "U", but look at the small portion we can see under the nose, it looks like the trailing edge of the wing rises up into the nose, now I see no reason why it would meet the nose, but maybe it rises up into a cavity of some sort.

Lest we forget that people originally assumed that Ferrari's F2002 was going to have a similar idea, here the nose would have a look upside down U shaped cavity, allowing for a sort of twin-keel. But until we get a pic of the underside of that nose - we just won't know.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.