BBC wins F1 rights from 2009

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
millerjam
millerjam

Re: BBC wins F1 rights from 2009

Surely it's to do to with the fact that ITV have recently won the rights to lots of football, namely the FA cup and some of the England Internationals that they took from the BBC. Therefore I would have thought it's nothing more sinister than ITV not being able to budget so much within their sports portfolio, especially when considering they also have the UEFA Champions League...

Tom Castellani

All I can really say is that I've enjoyed the coverage with ITV so far apart from ads etc.

I'm not opinionated on the matter as long as BBC do a good job and provide everything they promise. I will not be at all happy with no Martin Brundle however. First off he's been there and done it, I don't know who the BBC could possibly replace him with. Besides that he's also a fantastic commentator, he doesn't get all yelling in the microphone as soon as anything minor happens, he's calm and collected which is what I like to hear. James Allen can be a little prone to doing that and it gets on my tits as soon as someone starts shouting over the action, just irritating...

All in all it sounds okay but I'll be really pissed off without Brundle if he doesn't move over.

Edit: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 593917.ece

As much as I love Top Gear, Hammond instead of Brundle would suck so much. I simply don't get the vibes and think he wouldn't be up to the job. Plus he'd have Top Gear commitments and I don't think could be flying to a different country every other week. I guess I'd have no objections to him alongside Brundle as long as he keeps it serious.
The road to success is 20,832 meters long...

Tom

Well in the last 10 mins ITV have really annoyed me as their half-wit news crew revealed the result half an hour before the program started. I really hope that ITV lose £1000s over this, I know it is news and thats what the program is about but I'm sure no one would be too upset waiting until the end of the F1 program before they found out the result, or I'm sure BBC news would reveal the result and there would be no problem.

What idiots.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

I'd be horrified if Top Gear does F1 coverage on the Beeb! [-X

Looks like ITV actively dumped the F1 coverage for the Champions League! #-o

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 594039.ece

Apparently ITV make about £4m per game from advertising.. No where near that with the F1..
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

Rob W

Tom Castellani wrote:As much as I love Top Gear, Hammond instead of Brundle would suck so much. I simply don't get the vibes and think he wouldn't be up to the job.
OH MY GOD... if that guy commentated the F1 I would just watch it muted. Surely BBC aren't so blind to see the masses of experience, not to mention insider knowledge, that Brundle brings to the table??

I agree with the vibes thing also - I don't feel like Hammond's tone would sound right commentating live sport. As with these kinds of things, maybe they should get him to do ghost commentary - set him up to record commentary for the rest of this season and see how good he really is before they make the jump to subjecting half the world to it.

R

JiMbO

i dont think they would have hammond commenting as he doesnt have any experience

maybe more of a presenter like that old guy on itv whos name i cant remember...#-o

checkered

ben_watkins wrote:I'd be horrified if Top Gear does F1 coverage on the Beeb!
I wouldn't. Those guys

aren't given enough credit and I believe they've got both the capacity and the intelligence to adjust their tone and get experts to fill in where they're lacking in knowledge. What they've done with the Top Gear franchise (and other broadcasting/media) should speak for itself - it really is an incredible feat. Brundle's commentary on F1 with ITV has been exemplary (even if I do disagree with him on occasion) and I'm not quite sure why Richard and Martin (for example) would be somehow mutually exclusive. They could complement each other just as well. It's more likely that the FIA will manage to banish Brundle with its lawsuit and threatening comments than attributing his possible absence to BBC's unwillingness to make use of his undeniable expertise and impeccable expression. Of course there were also rumours of Coulthard retiring from racing straight into the commentators' desk, but I think such predictions are premature.

axle
axle

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73405
The BBC has announced that it will broadcast all Formula One sessions - including free practice – both on television and online this year.

Confirming details of its plans for 2009, the return of F1 to the BBC is being used as an opportunity for the corporation to step up coverage of the sport.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the BBC said that the races and all qualifying sessions other than Brazil will be broadcast on BBC One. For Interlagos, BBC Two will show the fight for grid positions on the Saturday.

Practice sessions will be available via the 'red button' interactive service, or can be watched through the BBC's website.

The BBC has also promised to allow fans to customize their viewing experience – with the choice of three different video streams. There will also be options for split-screen action; a live leaderboard; in-car cameras and a choice of commentary.
Split screen multi feed TV excellent :D
- Axle

natef1
natef1

axle wrote:http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73405
The BBC has announced that it will broadcast all Formula One sessions - including free practice – both on television and online this year.

Confirming details of its plans for 2009, the return of F1 to the BBC is being used as an opportunity for the corporation to step up coverage of the sport.

In a statement issued on Tuesday, the BBC said that the races and all qualifying sessions other than Brazil will be broadcast on BBC One. For Interlagos, BBC Two will show the fight for grid positions on the Saturday.

Practice sessions will be available via the 'red button' interactive service, or can be watched through the BBC's website.

The BBC has also promised to allow fans to customize their viewing experience – with the choice of three different video streams. There will also be options for split-screen action; a live leaderboard; in-car cameras and a choice of commentary.
Split screen multi feed TV excellent :D
Yep all sounds good although I worry for people like myself (only on Freeview), that I might not get the full range of options :(

To be honest I'm just glad there'll be no interruptions, not too bothered about everything else, although getting the practice sessions on TV rather than the internet will be a nice change! I wonder if they will commentate on the FP's, or whether they will use the radio coverage on top of it.

The only really disappointing thing from this announcement is the lack of information about GP2. By it's absence it looks as though BBC won't show it, although we don't know for sure. It would be great to have it on the Beeb and if it's not, it will be an opportunity missed I feel.

waynes
waynes

excellent news, can lie in bed and watch free practice instead of switching the PC on etc

axle
axle

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpVq1hfRmM[/youtube]

Skip to 3:40.....and hey presto THE theme music is back on the BBC...
- Axle

blobslosak
blobslosak

Are they using that music again???? :D

axle
axle

Yup :D
- Axle

Sawtooth-spike

What the Last bit of Fleetwood Mac "Chain"? (He says not being able to watch said video at work)
"THE" F1 Song

Please tell me this is so, you will make my day
Last edited by Sawtooth-spike on 25 Feb 2009, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

axle
axle

Day = made :D
- Axle