BBC wins F1 rights from 2009

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
natef1
natef1

Re: BBC wins F1 rights from 2009

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... lt.stm#top

A new feature on the BBC site, including a graphic representation of the track with information, images, classic video clips, and a lap onboard with commentary and telemetry data from the 2008 season.

It's only a trial at the moment but the BBC are certainly making the effort.

I don't know if those outside the UK can view it, I would guess yes, but you know how the BBC are with non-UK users :wink:

Edit : Just read the FAQ, those users outside the UK can't watch the video clips.

Spencifer_Murphy

natef1 wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... lt.stm#top

A new feature on the BBC site, including a graphic representation of the track with information, images, classic video clips, and a lap onboard with commentary and telemetry data from the 2008 season.

I don't know if those outside the UK can view it, I would guess yes, but you know how the BBC are with non-UK users :wink:

Edit : Just read the FAQ, those users outside the UK can't watch the video clips.
It's got nothing to do with the BBC and everything to do with FOM. Last year ITV had a lot of video feeds including coverage of live practice session, however you couldn't view it if you were outside the UK for what they described as "Legal Reasons" meaning of course Bernie.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

jddh1

BBC is being a big fat B!$&# with this video business.
At least I can see the fly by shots.

Spencifer_Murphy

Like I said, its not the BBC's doing, its all to do with F1 coverage rights deals negotiated by FOM, and thus Bernie E.

jddh1

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Like I said, its not the BBC's doing, its all to do with F1 coverage rights deals negotiated by FOM, and thus Bernie E.
I posted one second after you so did not read your comment till afterwards.

Spencifer_Murphy

Oh sorry, i didn't know. No harm done I hope.

natef1
natef1

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:
natef1 wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsp ... lt.stm#top

It's got nothing to do with the BBC and everything to do with FOM. Last year ITV had a lot of video feeds including coverage of live practice session, however you couldn't view it if you were outside the UK for what they described as "Legal Reasons" meaning of course Bernie.
And yet BBC-owned radio shows and TV programmes are often not available for those outside the UK.

Yes, it's partly down to Bernie and his stranglehold, but the BBC do try to operate the larger services for the license-fee payers.

modbaraban
modbaraban

natef1 wrote:And yet BBC-owned radio shows and TV programmes are often not available for those outside the UK.
Oh how I'd like to switch to BBC commentary during the quali and race [-o< There should be something for F1 like RadioLeMans for endurance racing fans.

Sawtooth-spike

Just thought i would bring this up here. I sorry to all those watch F1 on another channel and dont know what i am going on about.

Was it just me or was the commentary useless? i mean Martin was fine, but there other guy (who didnt know what formula he was watching, "Formular L... One"). Then there was DC, Eddie and Young bloke (dont know his name, all i know is he used to be on newsround). Eddie is FAR to Opinionated and i he didnt really add any value to the show, well other than he Thinks Schumacher is a god who walks amoung us (which is fine if he was no a feckin presenter, who should be impatial). DC looked out of his depth. The Young bloke was ok, he didnt do anything wrong. Somebody already mentioned this in the GP thread but i though i would mention it here.

Plus side, no adverts was great!
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

andartop
andartop

Agreed Eddie wasn't much help, but after last year's Hamilton worshippin' any change is welcome. Very few people manage to remain professional and impartial in this job, it seems. For years in Greece I had to listen to a guy who was actually literally in love with Kimi Raikkonen. Ended up turning off the volume in some races..that's how bad he was!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Sawtooth-spike

yeah fair point, Jamies Lewis Allan was abit to much also, but when he was not bang on about how great lewis was he did have some good points.

Eddie just seemed totaly wrong, i really liked Mark blundell, he knew what he was going about and made good points.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

roost89
roost89

Sawtooth-spike wrote:Just thought i would bring this up here. I sorry to all those watch F1 on another channel and dont know what i am going on about.

Was it just me or was the commentary useless? i mean Martin was fine, but there other guy (who didnt know what formula he was watching, "Formular L... One"). Then there was DC, Eddie and Young bloke (dont know his name, all i know is he used to be on newsround). Eddie is FAR to Opinionated and i he didnt really add any value to the show, well other than he Thinks Schumacher is a god who walks amoung us (which is fine if he was no a feckin presenter, who should be impatial). DC looked out of his depth. The Young bloke was ok, he didnt do anything wrong. Somebody already mentioned this in the GP thread but i though i would mention it here.

Plus side, no adverts was great!
I'll have to agree with most of what you said. The action commentator (no idea who as well) provided a more radio like commentary, which I liked but he wasn't as helpful as he could've been.

I thought Eddie was quite annoying, especially in the interview with Sir Richard Branson, he was too strong and seemed to have some beef with him.

Otherwise, quite good, a bit up from last time. Quali seemed to pass much more quickly without adverts, either that or I fell asleep between each session :?
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

I think the coverage on the BBC was good - awesome theme tune, really great graphics, plenty of build up. The beeb has obviously spent a great deal on the production. Thank god for NO ADVERTS! =D> =D>

However, Johnathan Legard was a bit crap.. He was radio 5 live commentator and it showed. He was just doing a radio commentary and seemingly ignoring what was being shown on the tv images. He also didn't seem to know how to read the timing screens and was entirely focused on what Jenson was doing...

I actually quite liked the bitching interplay between DC and EJ.. but EJ has to learn when to talk and when not too. I don't mind him being opinionated, in fact it's quite refreshing to have someone with a bit of honesty.

DC needs to be a bit brighter in his voice, especially for his voice overs as he sounds far too dull.

Overall, the anchor Jake Humphrey did a good job. He took the piss out of DC right at the top of the show which was great! Much better than Steve "smarmy git" Rider!

Brundle was excellent as ever, and Ted K in the pits did a good job too, as we've come to expect. Lee McKensie was a bit poor tbh.

I'm sure the presenting team will get better as they go through the season, which has gotten off to a brilliant start! Loads of excitment, many teams and drivers close to each other! BRING IT ON!
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

Paul

I really liked Davidson's commentary, to be honest. I think he has it all to become a great commentator.

alelanza
alelanza

I heard them on the FPs, they were fine i think. Quali i watched on foxsports so i only turned to the bbc during breaks and thought they were alright. Maybe a bit too Lewis centric, but perhaps it was simply that i caught them at the wrong time. In any case they sounded far superior to Rider, but they could surely use someone like Blundell who comes across as calmer and more balanced. Unfortunately i did not get to hear Brundel, but i'm downloading the bbc recording as i type this :D
Alejandro L.