BBC wins F1 rights from 2009

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Conceptual
Conceptual

Re: BBC wins F1 rights from 2009

I was pretty happy with it overall, but I must say that ITV had a much better post-event coverage. I mean, who the hell thought it was better to turn OFF the top 3 qualifiers in the post quali conference?!?!?! Just to listen to EJ bicker with DC and Sir Richard!

I think that EJ should be replaced by Blundell, who actually has a journalistic attitude, is well informed, and doesn't argue with his co-commentators on subjective opinion.

I hope that the team gels over the course of the season, and that the post-even conferences are THE focus, not this yacking when the drivers are talking.

It is almost like they don't want you to hear from the drivers, just what their commentators have to say, and that was a real let down.

The no-ads is the ONLY reason that I am not going to watch the SpeedTV feed full time.

Last year, I watched SpeedTV live, and downloaded the ITV feed for the extra content. This year, I will watch the BBC live due to the no adverts, and download the SpeedTV coverage so I can actually hear the conferences.

Odd switch maybe, and I hope that the BBC listens to their emails after this and adjusts accordingly.

Also: Davidson was very good to be honest, but I have to say that my dream team would have been:

Bob Varsha, Steve Matchett and Martin Brundle with Anthony Davidson and Mark Blundell in the pits. Oh yeah, and Peter Windsor in the post-event interview room with the ENTIRE interview being shown!

But, great job overall, and it looks like when the comfortability sets in that this may actually be better than the ITV feed from the laast few years.

Overall, I give it a 7.5 out of 10!

roost89
roost89

We have a new pundit for this coming weekend in the form of Mike Gasgoyne. He's taking the place of Eddie Jordan.
Last time I heard him he was rather informative, so I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing him instead of EJ on the screens this weekend :)
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

mikhak
mikhak

Great news! Good to see we'll have someone with a sound technical prospective on everything rather than the torrent of opinions eddie jordan feels he must air.
I actually read EJ's autobiography :oops: :oops:

nudger
nudger

roost89 wrote:We have a new pundit for this coming weekend in the form of Mike Gasgoyne. He's taking the place of Eddie Jordan.
Last time I heard him he was rather informative, so I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing him instead of EJ on the screens this weekend :)
eddie jordon was really getting irritating ... hope they dump him for good.
to be honest, i cant handle the pre and post race stuff any more...the bbc offers great coverage of practices, and thats good enough....but imo the pundits are just as useless as they ever were on itv, probably worse.

Spencifer_Murphy

nudger wrote:eddie jordon was really getting irritating ... hope they dump him for good.
to be honest, i cant handle the pre and post race stuff any more...the bbc offers great coverage of practices, and thats good enough....but imo the pundits are just as useless as they ever were on itv, probably worse.
Clearly not. The whole point in a pundit is to express an opinion, even if that opinion may well be different from 99% of viewer's opinions, hence why there's always a panel of pundits, to get a range of opinions. If they devide opinion throughout the viewers then it's a job well done. The shear fact that a certain pundit has rubbed some people, like yourself, up the wrong way shows they are in fact doing their job rather well.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

nudger
nudger

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:
nudger wrote:eddie jordon was really getting irritating ... hope they dump him for good.
Clearly not. The whole point in a pundit is to express an opinion, even if that opinion may well be different from 99% of viewer's opinions, hence why there's always a panel of pundits, to get a range of opinions. If they devide opinion throughout the viewers then it's a job well done. The shear fact that a certain pundit has rubbed some people, like yourself, up the wrong way shows they are in fact doing their job rather well.
its not about getting rubbed up the wrong way becuase i disagree with what they say...its that what they say is so mundane and superficial

Conceptual
Conceptual

nudger wrote:
Spencifer_Murphy wrote:
its not about getting rubbed up the wrong way becuase i disagree with what they say...its that what they say is so mundane and superficial
And the arguing with the other pundits gets irritating. DC gave EJ the space to spew his opinion, but EJ did not return the respect.

I like Gascoyne much more than Jordan to be sure. Gascoynes interviews during Monaco 08 was very good, and I hope that he remains a permanent technical fixture.

Pierre6
Pierre6

Yeah! In quali, MG was allready better than EJ!

myurr
myurr

Totally agree. I don't know what Mike Gascoyne is like to work with, but on TV he comes across pretty well and is much more insightful and less biased than Eddie Jordan. Had a lot of time for EJ when he was a team boss, but he's been awful so far as a commentator.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I think that the balance is much better with MG than EJ, Yeah EJ has the balls to ask the difficult questions, but he just dosnt shut up. MG gives a engineers point of view, DC gives a drivers point of view, thus much more balance is struck.

roost89
roost89

One thing that I noticed this weekend, more than most. Is how close the teams are allowing the guys from the BBC to the car! Jake more than once was right beside a car in the garage and touching it. I thought that wouldn't have been allowed, but it's nice. Also how many drivers/team principals they're getting to talk to pre and post-race.

The FOM also showed the "ghost overlay", it easily shows the different driving lines and styles of the drivers. Which I thought was very good!
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Conceptual
Conceptual

roost89 wrote:One thing that I noticed this weekend, more than most. Is how close the teams are allowing the guys from the BBC to the car! Jake more than once was right beside a car in the garage and touching it. I thought that wouldn't have been allowed, but it's nice. Also how many drivers/team principals they're getting to talk to pre and post-race.

The FOM also showed the "ghost overlay", it easily shows the different driving lines and styles of the drivers. Which I thought was very good!

I noticed that was well, but I have to wonder what was in the BBC contract with the FOM. It is quite possible that the FOM told the teams that they need to allow more intimate contact with the presenters so as to increase the "spectacle" and the time that the sponsors logo's are shown on the TV.

Fil

This could also be a FOTA initiative. their survey polled late last year did have news abot fans wanting more insight into the teams. FOTA did say they would act upon this. maybe this is their first step.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).